Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

long island owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
to all the long island owners, how much has the model s added to your pseg bill? I just got my first non estimated meter reading bill from them and it was $250 more than my normal bill. so basically $125 a month. Does that sound normal to you guys? Oh, and the wife drives about 55 miles a day. about 1100-1300 a month with weekend drives.

AW - I do not yet have my Tesla (Model 3 is in production as we speak), but from my math my battery pack will be 75 kw with a ~300 range. This equates to about 4 miles per kwh under optimistic driving conditions but from what I've read under "normal" driving you should see 2.5 to 3 per kwh. PSEG LI's rate is about ~18 cents per kwh. (this isn't counting the delivery surcharges they add on because that's constant regardless). If my math is correct thats about 4.5 cents per mile to drive the Tesla.

At 1100 to 1300 miles per month, you should be looking at an increase of $49.50 (on the low end) to $93.60 (at the high end). You're numbers aren't all that off but maybe something else has changed too?

If you switch to their Time of Use rate (Plan 188), you may be able to lower your bill but need to change your electricity habits to do so.

I called PSEG last week (my car comes Nov/Dec), they told me that once i start charging at home and the system notices a sudden increase, they will put me on time of day pricing. Charging at night will be a lot less. AS per my bill currently including the price of electricity AND delivery, we generally pay $0.21/KWH in Long Island.

to all the long island owners, how much has the model s added to your pseg bill? I just got my first non estimated meter reading bill from them and it was $250 more than my normal bill. so basically $125 a month. Does that sound normal to you guys? Oh, and the wife drives about 55 miles a day. about 1100-1300 a month with weekend drives.

Did your bill stabilize after a month or two please?

I called PSEG last week (my car comes Nov/Dec), they told me that once i start charging at home and the system notices a sudden increase, they will put me on time of day pricing. Charging at night will be a lot less. AS per my bill currently including the price of electricity AND delivery, we generally pay $0.21/KWH in Long Island.

Make sure to run the numbers yourself. I am in LI also and when I ran the calcs, it didn't pay to switch to time of day pricing, even with the Tesla.

I have had a Model S and a Volt for 10 months. The Tesla averages 600 miles/month and the Volt about 500 miles/month. My bill is up about $75/month. PSEG keeps sending me graphs of usage that show my house went from a house with very good efficiency to one with average efficiency with the change taking place last November when I purchased both cars.

For time of use rates - they do not make any sense the way they are structured for charging a car which is a small portion of the total load. You get a very low off peak rate but your rate goes up the rest of the day. You would have to run your appliances, AC, etc. only at night to come out ahead.

PR

Reactions: CMD1997
I live on Long Island and I work in Queens. I do about 1,500 miles a month and I am a conservative driver (I get about 270-290 wh per mile on an 85D). The rate on Long Island varies, but over a year it is about 19 cents a kWh. I charge mostly at work and there the rate is about 25 cents. I have solar on my house as well.

I have had my car for over 2 years, and I never heard about them forcing you to switch to TOU (time of use) billing. It is an option and I have read the rate charts. I agree with the post that it usually does not make sense but with solar it makes even less sense. The reason is, with solar, you get a full credit for each kWh produced. If you go to TOU, it divides the production into the 4 possible rates and you cannot use overproduction in one rate for another.

Lastly, my account reconciles in February and I overproduce from the solar. Because of the difference in rate (they give you about 3-4 cents for every kWh overproduced) I will charge the car at home a lot in the winter to use up the overproduction. Even with this, I have not gotten any notice to change to TOU.

To answer the original question, at work, the bill has gone up about $150 a month, so $125 on LI seems reasonable (the rates are about 25% higher in Queens).

Reactions: CMD1997
I want to reply to your question from a different perspective. Let’s assume that the increased electric bill is solely from the charging of your car. If we say that the average price of regular gasoline, locally, is $2.60, you can buy 48 gallons of gas for $125. Using your wife’s typical monthly driving distances, her gasoline efficiency is between 23-27 mpg. While that is a somewhat “normal” driving efficiency, many cars are much more efficient than that. Tesla constantly says that driving one of their cars is considerably cheaper than driving an ICE vehicle. They even calculate that into your cost savings on their SALE page on their website. Just using your example, I’m not sure how accurate their claim is. Particularly in states that have lower gasoline prices. Another thing is the fact that your numbers are based on summer driving. Just wait until it’s 15 F outside and you’re driving into a 30mph headwind with the heater on.
That being said, I own a 2014 Model S 85 and I love the car, but there is a lot to be said about unlimited supercharging! I would not have bought the car without it because I knew that the gasoline savings were nowhere near what they were claiming. I know that part of their claim also dealt with maintenance expenses that gas cars have that EVs don’t, but repairing a Tesla out of warranty can be eye opening!