Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Line for Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is in San Luis Obispo , CA near Madonna Inn. This pic must be during the long weekend travels. This is not a normal situation , there are other Super Chargers nearby within 30 miles -Paso Robles and Atascadero ( 20 miles) .

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberGus
Having made 4 2K mile r/t road trips from southern IL to southern MD I have NEVER waited to charge and looking back I don’t recall usage exceeding 50% of available stalls.

That was most likely a Calif location and I wonder how many were actual ROAD TRIPPERS or locals who live in apt/condos without the ability to charge?

Reactions: WhiteWi
First time I had a “Long” want was heading north from Sacramento on New Years weekend. All the Superchargers were busy, I skipped one that was full to go to the next which had stalls and by the time I got there it was full too. Shortly after, a line formed behind us. I went to get lunch while my wife waited, before I got lunch someone had moved on. By the time we left, there was not only no line, but 2 empty stalls.

Seems like the wait for a stall should be long, but usually cars cycle out pretty quick since they don’t all arrive at the same time. I don’t think the people who showed up after us waited long either.

I think this is in San Luis Obispo , CA near Madonna Inn. This pic must be during the long weekend travels. This is not a normal situation , there are other Super Chargers nearby within 20 miles -Paso Robles and Atascadero ( 30 miles) .

I agree. And that video has to be from quite a while ago - there's two more sites half a mile away, and another two sites less than 5 miles away, and then so many more ...

The three sites in San Luis Obispo are 18 stalls, 16 stalls, and 20 stalls.

There are Model 3s and no Model Ys in that video. There's a picture on PlugShare from 2019 that looks like this same event.

1644525359593.png

• Informative
Reactions: CyberGus
I was thinking I had seen that a while ago as well. But this is exactly why I want the %$#@& Tesla CCS adapter that is "coming soon".... When the SC charging network is opened up to other EV's.

I stayed in the Cave Room at the Madonna Inn on a roadtrip in 1988!

And I've read that in general, the line is orderly and it's first-come first-served, unless someone has a really low SOC and they let them jump.

Also - don't they limit the charge to 80% when the SC is busy? I've had that happen to me in Kingston NY. There wasn't a line, but about 3/4 of the chargers were being used.

I was thinking I had seen that a while ago as well. But this is exactly why I want the %$#@& Tesla CCS adapter that is "coming soon".... When the SC charging network is opened up to other EV's.

I stayed in the Cave Room at the Madonna Inn on a roadtrip in 1988!

And I've read that in general, the line is orderly and it's first-come first-served, unless someone has a really low SOC and they let them jump.

Also - don't they limit the charge to 80% when the SC is busy? I've had that happen to me in Kingston NY. There wasn't a line, but about 3/4 of the chargers were being used.

The car lowers it to 80% if it's busy but allows you to manually raise it back up if you need more charge. It's definitely not forced.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
That long wait for chargers happened over a Xmas or Thanksgiving holiday travel weekend when a pass over the I-5 to the east was closed because of a snow storm so all I-5 traffic was diverted to the 101 that runs through San Luis Obispo. And as @LoudMusic has noted, since then Tesla's put in a number of new SC sites in the area to prevent this from happening again.

Yes, that video was from 2+ years ago. Many SC'ers have opened in that area since that video.
I was going to say there's like 2-3 chargers in SLO besides Madonna Inn! I've run into exactly two ugly line situations like that video ...
1. Friars Road in SD when they were building out new stalls. The line was 5 deep, so I left to A Street.
2. Driving south on the 101 from up north, though Goleta would be a nice charge/lunch stop, but something was under construction (EA chargers I think) and the line was 5 deep. I forewent lunch and went to one near a rich man's hotel in Montecito and got in/out without issues.

The video you shared was 3 years ago during either thanksgiving or Christmas in California.

It was the first glimpse of what a stressed charging network looked like.

There are more chargers now but…you never know. There are more teslas on the road in California now as well.

Reactions: Flybuddy
I have been in line twice. Once in Florida Lake city location (I think) and once at Knoxville TN at the Walmart location. Since then TN got a V3 opened up few miles from Existing site and Florida I believe getting bunch of V3 locations this year. Also Atlanta area got a lot of V3 chargers added in a span of last 2 years.
oh I must add I was traveling during holidays so lines were expected by me.

Last edited:
I've often seen the Supercharger in Quartzsite, AZ filled up with a line of cars waiting, but usually I'm in a ICE vehicle when I see this. That's really the only fast & big Supercharger between Phoenix and the Palm Springs area, as there are a couple of smaller, older/slower Superchargers along the way but most people seem to opt or the larger & faster Quartzsite location.