Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long range + Acceleration boost vs Performance Race!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

A buddy of mine recently got his MYP and brought it to my house to check it out. I have a Long range with the Acceleration boost and thought it would be a good time to race the two against each other. He arrived at my house with 54% SoC and my car had 83%SoC we drove about 5 miles from the house and proceeded to race about 3 times each race varying with different MPH starting points. both batteries were warm as he had just driven to my house and mine finished charging. The MYP had an additional 150 pounds of gear he was carrying and we both roughly weight the same (180 pounds.) The results are as follows:

Race 1. 30 mph - 90 mph Both cars dead even until 60ish mph where my car pulled away ever so slightly (maybe 1/2 car length)

Race 2. 50 mph - 100 mph same results as race 1

Race 3. 0 mph - 80 mph His car pulled on my car for the first 20 mph he was ahead by 1/2 car length and then i started to catch back up by 40 mph

After we finished our races i took his car back home to test drive and he took mine, we came away with the same feelings, his car felt significantly more planted on the road compared to my car but it almost felt that my car hit harder from 30 mph. The first though is that obviously his SoC was a lot lower for mine accounting for some loss in speed at higher mph but i would have thought his car would have been faster by a good margin. Any thoughts? I'm sure if he had a higher SoC we might have seen a different outcome? but how much? I left the race feeling much better about my purchase. Just thought i would share my results, any body experience the same?

SoC matters a lot for acceleration--75% versus 45% has been measured at a 60+ hp difference on a M3P: How Much Does State Of Charge Impact Tesla Model 3 Performance HP?

These guys observed a ~70hp difference between 100% and 50% SoC in an S: Charging your Tesla could make a difference of 40% to power and acceleration

Anecdotally, my MYP feels significantly more sluggish at 50% than it does above 80%. It continues to get less punchy as SoC goes down, until it seems to hit a software limiter at around 10% and drops to "limp home" power.

SoC matters a lot for acceleration--75% versus 45% has been measured at a 60+ hp difference on a M3P: How Much Does State Of Charge Impact Tesla Model 3 Performance HP?

These guys observed a ~70hp difference between 100% and 50% SoC in an S: Charging your Tesla could make a difference of 40% to power and acceleration

Anecdotally, my MYP feels significantly more sluggish at 50% than it does above 80%. It continues to get less punchy as SoC goes down, until it seems to hit a software limiter at around 10% and drops to "limp home" power.
I know little to nothing about how HP affects speed, but is a 70hp difference that noticeable?

I can't find the dyno plot at the moment, but basically it showed that from about 0-80 km/h (50 mph) there wasn't a hug difference in power until you got to the very low SOC.

This guy ran his M3 LR and showed the times for SOC from 100% to 0%. The variation was on .3 seconds from best to worst 0-60. In the 1/4 it worked out to about 1/2 second. From 100-40% SOC it was only .2 seconds.

So the difference is more at higher speeds.

Toward the end of my thread here, I compared my MYLR7AB against the MYP times from 30-70 mph.

Dragy runs for my 2021 MY LR 7 seat 19" Geminis w/tow

I need to make a correction. Regardless of SOC, the power is about the same to ~ 35 mph (60km/h). So basically you are going to have about the same 0-30 mph time regardless of charge level. I saw that with my MY LR when stock. I don't have enough runs with boost to validate it is the same but don't see why it would be different. Looks like power peaks according to the Mountain Pass dyno between ~30-50 mph depending on state of charge.

1625665659120.png

Reactions: BitJam and Darmie
I misread your post. The dyno plot was from 2018 M3 LR that was tested. For other Dragy runs, I tested the 2021s. I also pulled data from the 2020's that C&D and MotorTrend posted as well for comparisons.

He was carrying the equivalent of another passenger and low on power while you had a full battery. You two should hit a supercharging station first so both can have the same soc and remove the extra gear.

On a separate note, there really should be a Greddy Overtake Boost type of button…. the “I know I’m low on power but I really want to accelerate fast” button.

Reactions: Young Phenom
The comparisons are kind of futile if it's not done with measuring equipment/good drivers because it comes down to variables (rijc99) and reaction times. A half second difference is technically a lot, but throw in variables/reaction times and it could disappear like it was never there.
100% agree. That second race is a perfect example of varying reaction times.

He was carrying the equivalent of another passenger and low on power while you had a full battery. You two should hit a supercharging station first so both can have the same soc and remove the extra gear.

On a separate note, there really should be a Greddy Overtake Boost type of button…. the “I know I’m low on power but I really want to accelerate fast” button.
Do you think that could be done? say opt in to a different sport mode that gave full power at all SoC above say 20% that way you knew battery would drain quicker?

Do you think that could be done? say opt in to a different sport mode that gave full power at all SoC above say 20% that way you knew battery would drain quicker?
I'd like a 5-10 sec burst, 15 max. Some manufacturers on their high performance cars have a burst mode where they give the car slightly higher turbo boost than normal on push of a button. It's also common on aftermarket turbo boost controllers. I think 5-10 seconds of full power for overtake would be sufficient and should be easy to program if Tesla wanted to do it.

Come to think of it... I could drive in chill mode and then just tap the overtake button when needed if they'd implement this.

The comparisons are kind of futile if it's not done with measuring equipment/good drivers because it comes down to variables (rijc99) and reaction times. A half second difference is technically a lot, but throw in variables/reaction times and it could disappear like it was never there.
Yes, I was surprised as well to see the difference. More testing is needed at a 1/4 mile track. Our Model X is 0 to 60 in 4.3 and the MY is 0 to 60 4.8 but yet the X was 13.2 where the Y was 12.9 111mph. So you really don't know until you remove most variables.

Reactions: thesmokingman
I'd like a 5-10 sec burst, 15 max. Some manufacturers on their high performance cars have a burst mode where they give the car slightly higher turbo boost than normal on push of a button. It's also common on aftermarket turbo boost controllers. I think 5-10 seconds of full power for overtake would be sufficient and should be easy to program if Tesla wanted to do it.

Come to think of it... I could drive in chill mode and then just tap the overtake button when needed if they'd implement this.
I've had similar thoughts on this. We should have an option in the future to hit drag mode where the battery allows for even more performance acceleration with the expense of more battery usage.