Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long range + Acceleration boost vs Performance Race!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also keep in mind the 67lb rim/tires on the 21” Ubers. We’re both cars running the same weight of rims/tires?
That matters but it kind of doesn't. Both cars have to be tested as delivered. The SOC differences can make a bigger difference than wheel sizes. Our cars can be heroes or turds based just on SOC state.

However it doesn't matter in the respect that a LR will never be equal to a P because the of the fused in changes in the P's motors, drivetrain what have you. A LR will never be equal to a P for that reason and these cars are capped, ie. you can't make them faster in the aftermarket. I think that sometimes ppl don't get what they truly want and we have these threads like this, and the massive AB thread.

Reactions: Young Phenom
That matters but it kind of doesn't. Both cars have to be tested as delivered. The SOC differences can make a bigger difference than wheel sizes. Our cars can be heroes or turds based just on SOC state.

However it doesn't matter in the respect that a LR will never be equal to a P because the of the fused in changes in the P's motors, drivetrain what have you. A LR will never be equal to a P for that reason and these cars are capped, ie. you can't make them faster in the aftermarket. I think that sometimes ppl don't get what they truly want and we have these threads like this, and the massive AB thread.
Perhaps it’s not a matter of not getting what you want but more so about finding out what you actually did get?

Comparing an AB MYLR to an MYP isnt such a bad comparison. About as much as comparing a Porsche GTS to a Turbo model. Similar but does the GTS version capture 90% of the turbo for 80% of the cost?

I think the comparison above was not apples to apples yes but the OP mentioned all the factors off the start. I agree both cars should be at the same SoC and one driver only inside. There are also factors with how warm the batteries are.
Re: tires, the MYLR should run the same heavy 21” ubers as the MYP in this test. Every .1-.2 sec matters.

Generally speaking between the two,, my opinion is the MYLRAB is the sweet spot for this model.
Ie. Highest range, slightly softer ride, power that rivals the MYP from 30-90mph. Hats off though to MYP owners as for them power and handling trump the rest :) Both are excellent choices in the end.

1st world problems lol 😂

I'd be very curious what putting the MYP wheels/tires on a MYLR would mean to the 0-60 time? I understand the idea to test as delivered... but a MYLR owner could always buy used MYP or aftermarket equivalent wheels upgrade.

I ordered a MYLR over the MYP due to the 3rd row, higher ground clearance, additional range, more comfy ride/tire. But it would be very interesting to know when purchasing AB and as many similar items as possible (wheels/tires) what the performance difference would be.

I've had both. I currently have an myp after selling my lr ab for a profit (so silly). I am removing the ubers and adding lightweight 19s-its also silly the myp comes with such heavy and large wheels. Anyway - the torque on the myp feels significantly better than the lr ab. Most acceleration are from a stop or low speeds to freeway speed anyway. Going from 75+to anything higher isn't super relevant for me I'm not trying to kill myself. I do enjoy the lowered height (and perhaps wider tires) which contribute to the handling dynamics on myp. I am sticking with 275 width squared setup so I hope to gain a little acceleration over stock 21s. I think resale will be better in the future too - everyone wants the top model down the road.

I had the Model 3 w/ AB and now have the MYP. I have to say the Acceleration Boost is no joke I really enjoyed it on the Model 3.
However when discussing Range difference between the MYP and the MYLR, most of this is rated range difference the real world difference in range tests between the two showed almost no difference at highway speeds, which is the only time when range really matters. With the pricing today, there just isn't that much difference, once you figure in the $2k for AB and for my own personal decision of the $2k for the 20" wheels.

IMHO, the boost offers an incredible upgrade especially for those who got the LR Y for ~10K less than performance.
The video linked in this thread shows the difference well. The boost matches 97% Performance for 2 grand. Period.

I see many Y Pefrormance owners here with hurtful responses - weight, tires, SOC. While all true, the boost matters a lot.

Now, with current price difference which is much less than in the past, one can get the performance right away and forget the argument. I'd still go with LR due to more rubber on the wheels.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
I've had both. I currently have an myp after selling my lr ab for a profit (so silly). I am removing the ubers and adding lightweight 19s-its also silly the myp comes with such heavy and large wheels. Anyway - the torque on the myp feels significantly better than the lr ab. Most acceleration are from a stop or low speeds to freeway speed anyway. Going from 75+to anything higher isn't super relevant for me I'm not trying to kill myself. I do enjoy the lowered height (and perhaps wider tires) which contribute to the handling dynamics on myp. I am sticking with 275 width squared setup so I hope to gain a little acceleration over stock 21s. I think resale will be better in the future too - everyone wants the top model down the road.
Thanks for input 👍🏽
Just an FYI…Historically, top auto models do not retain the same value as their mid counterparts. 🤷🏽‍♂️ People see Performance models as being driven hard and not for leisure which in turn affects depreciation. Max depr will always be on the highest trim levels.

Thanks for input 👍🏽
Just an FYI…Historically, top auto models do not retain the same value as their mid counterparts. 🤷🏽‍♂️ People see Performance models as being driven hard and not for leisure which in turn affects depreciation. Max depr will always be on the highest trim levels.
Teslas Like Jeep Wranglers are a whole other creature when it comes to used car sales. The prices on all are through the roof, but the MYP is getting a much higher across the board price. I should be clear this applies to the market I am currently in.