Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range AWD Wheel Offset with Wider Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at some aftermarket wheels for my 22 LR AWD. Goals are to get a lighter or same weight wheel compared the Aero 18" wheel, better looks, lower offset as the stock wheels are sunken in a bunch and would like to reuse the original Michelin MXM4 and TPMS.

Right now I have it narrowed down to a few options.

1. OZ Ultraleggera in 18x9 +35 offset (21 lbs) or 18x8 +35 offset (18.3 lbs)
2. Enkei RPF1 in 18x8.5 +30 offset (18.3 lbs)

I wanted to confirm both these will fit without any fitment issues. The OZ's are half and inch wider and 5MM offset lower than the Aero wheels and the Enkei's are the same width but 10MM lower offset. I'd assume both would fit the factory 235 tires just fine and should stick out towards the outboard side to fill out the wheel wells a bit better and not look so sunken in?

If anyone has experience or pics with these wheels please share!

Try Konig Ampliforms. These are 18/9.5 I'm running 265 wide tires.
Lightweight and similar look to uncapped aeros. ~18lbs

@P3D-R helped me get mine, I recommend reaching out see what he has in stock.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220110-110851_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220110-110851_Instagram.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
Thanks, those look pretty nice but want to get away from the OEM Aero uncapped look. Great look but if I'm buying aftermarket wheels may as well get something different.

I also noticed some people use spacers on the stock wheels 15MM, so that would bring the effective offset to +25 with Aero wheels right? I suppose that means you could use a thin spacer maybe 10MM with these 30-35 offset aftermarket wheels to get them flush with the fender?

I also noticed some people use spacers on the stock wheels 15MM, so that would bring the effective offset to +25 with Aero wheels right? I suppose that means you could use a thin spacer maybe 10MM with these 30-35 offset aftermarket wheels to get them flush with the fender?
Thick spacers work by bolting onto the hubs via stock studs and then providing new studs to bolt the wheels on. Medium spacers like 10mm don't work because they just slip in between the hub and wheel using the stock studs, but now the stock studs aren't long enough to safely thread the lug nut on far enough. I only know M3P numbers, but 7mm is about the max you can use safely with some extended shank lug nuts. That's with a thinner rotor than the LR. You can probably only get away with 3mm or 5mm slip on spacers for the LR before having to go with 15+.

@CosmosMpower Honesty, if you're into taking corners fast, or you care about stopping distances, just ditch the stock tires now. The MXM4 are like an anti-performance tire, and the stock 235 width is narrow for 9" wide wheels. Sell them while they're basically new so you can get a few bucks back, and buy something better in 255 or 245 width for your new wheels.

@CosmosMpower Honesty, if you're into taking corners fast, or you care about stopping distances, just ditch the stock tires now. The MXM4 are like an anti-performance tire, and the stock 235 width is narrow for 9" wide wheels. Sell them while they're basically new so you can get a few bucks back, and buy something better in 255 or 245 width for your new wheels.

Car is my wife's dd, she doesn't drive that fast on the road. 235 is within the acceptable range for 7-9" wide wheels. I can't imagine used factory tires are worth anything.

@CosmosMpower In this era of shortages, everything with useful life left in it is worth something. ;) Here's a thread from just a week or two ago where someone wanted a new set of them and couldn't find them anywhere:

I'll admit for casual non-performance driving the MXM4 obviously work fine, and they are long-lasting + smooth + efficient + quiet (at least in Tesla spec with the foam liner). They have their positive attributes for sure. Grip, handling, and road feel aren't among them though. :)

@CosmosMpower In this era of shortages, everything with useful life left in it is worth something. ;) Here's a thread from just a week or two ago where someone wanted a new set of them and couldn't find them anywhere:

I'll admit for casual non-performance driving the MXM4 obviously work fine, and they are long-lasting + smooth + efficient + quiet (at least in Tesla spec with the foam liner). They have their positive attributes for sure. Grip, handling, and road feel aren't among them though. :)

We have a BMW M2 Competition and 911 GT3 with manual transmissions for fun driving. The model 3 is strictly a commuter car. Range, smooth ride, and lower tire noise are important. For the replacement set of tires we'll probably switch to something like a PS4S or Conti Extreme Contact Sport in a wider size but we'll burn up the MXM4's first.

Reactions: tm1v2
I can second this. I swapped my OEM wheels back on and had an emergency stop from 65-0 and couldnt stop in time.
I think the extra grip from wider tires and less rotational mass would have helped me stop a few inches quicker to avoid my damage.

it's not inches.

The MXM4s take 20-30 feet longer to stop from 60 than say the PS4s does on the same car.

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2
Running 235/45 on an 18x9 is going to look pretty stretched. There will be even more risk to curb rash due to the lip of the wheel being even more exposed.

If your going to run the mxm4's I would suggest sticking to 8.5 width wheels and just going with a more aggressive offset wheel.

@Krobbler It'll be stretched a bit, but remember the M3P now comes more stretched than that, with 235/35 on 9" wide (shorter sidewall and same narrow width). The new M3P setup is silly, but at least @CosmosMpower's 235/45 on 9" wide will have more sidewall to ease the stretch, and he's only doing it to use up the original tires, he's made it clear he'll buy wider tires as replacements.

I still think it's worth ditching the MXM4 right away, but that's just me, I also get the appeal of just using the original tires first.

@CosmosMpower I will give you this little story...on our Model S P85 my wife got tired of summer performance tires wearing out quickly and insisted we try a Tesla-spec allseason because it should last longer. Which meant the MXM4. Sure enough the MXM4 did last a long time (by Tesla standards - these cars eat tires), but when we finally replaced them with just some midlevel Conti allseason (not even the DWS series) even my wife noticed how much better the car gripped and handled. I don't think she wants to go back to the MXM4.

Moral is the MXM4 are truly crap when it comes to grip and performance, bad enough that even my wife ended up disliking them. And while your wife might not care in "normal" driving, it means less grip available for emergency maneuvers or panic stops, which can be the difference between a crash and not crashing. I'll admit we both do a lot of twisty rural road driving these days, where grip really matters both for the turns and for avoiding deer / wildlife. But even urban and suburban commuting can require emergency stops or maneuvers to avoid sudden obstacles.

This post is the last I'll say on this, sorry if it's been too much already!

Apologies for reviving this thread, but I'm currently shopping for wheels/tires for my '22 Performance.

I did a lot of research, and it seems like sticking with 235 width tires is drastically better for range. 235/45-18 (stock) and 265/40-18 have the same diameter, but people report seeing a 20%(!) range decrease going from 235s to 265s. 20% is huge!

As far as cornering/braking/handling, the stock 235 width tires on my Performance are really good. The car feels stuck to the ground even while being thrown around on a track. Sure, a wider tire may be a bit better, but the trade off with range isn't worth it to me. I think the key is just to run good summer tires like PS4Ss (not to be confused with PS4s).

I considered something like a 245 or 255, but I don't want to deal with the speedometer being slightly off.

how about safety?
wider tires = more grip = better braking

i wish i had my 265's on the day i got into my wreck, few inches woulda saved me a lot of headache.
You are right. The difference in braking distance between a 235 and a 265 is typically about 3 feet depending on surface conditions and vehicle weight distribution which could be the difference between a wreck and a close call. I tend to use FSD beta, Autopilot, and/or TACC everywhere, and keep my beta set to chill and follow distance set to max (7).

There's no arguing that a wider tire has more traction, but I think the 235s are a decent balance between handling, comfort, braking, efficiency, and price. It's also the width that Tesla chose after millions or billions of dollars worth of R&D testing (excluding the 245s on the Zero-G track wheels which does look so much better than the 235s stretched on a 9" wide wheel).