Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range Battery Degradation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an 18’ Long Range RWD Model 3, and as many others have reported, i experienced a loss of range after an update a couple months back. Up until the update my 90% charge was about 280 miles, but it has fallen to 260-265.

After the v10 update, i did notice 90% charge/range increase back to 270-274... but it’s since fallen back into the low 260’s.

Anyone else still experiencing this?

Perhaps i don’t spend my life on here like you

But it's often the people who do spend time on here who are the ones who can answer your question. Biting the hard that feeds you? (Though I agree the other post could have been a little more polite.)

As noted, there are several threads here discussing this. Also, you should be aware that mileage goes down in cold weather, sometimes quite significantly, regardless of any perceived change with v10.

While there has been a lot of discussion about range reporting in V10, no-one has (to the best of my knowledge) shown if this is a difference in actual available mileage vs a math change in calculating/reporting the expected mileage. After all, unless you actually drive the car from 100% to 0% charge and observe mileage, how do you know if the range before or after the upgrade was accurate? And even then, what driving conditions do you use? What about the weather?

Perhaps i don’t spend my life on here like you

I mean, it might not kill you to be a little more proactive about solving your own problems.

I get it though. You’re far from alone when it comes to privileged Tesla owners wanting someone else to do the work for them. Like I said, just spend a minute or two reading the first page of this forum section. You’re in good company.

• Funny
Reactions: rhaekar
But it's often the people who do spend time on here who are the ones who can answer your question. Biting the hard that feeds you? (Though I agree the other post could have been a little more polite.)

As noted, there are several threads here discussing this. Also, you should be aware that mileage goes down in cold weather, sometimes quite significantly, regardless of any perceived change with v10.

While there has been a lot of discussion about range reporting in V10, no-one has (to the best of my knowledge) shown if this is a difference in actual available mileage vs a math change in calculating/reporting the expected mileage. After all, unless you actually drive the car from 100% to 0% charge and observe mileage, how do you know if the range before or after the upgrade was accurate? And even then, what driving conditions do you use? What about the weather?

I agree with your first point about being nice to forum regulars.

But on the second point, I got my car in October 2018 and all through the winter I got very near 100% of expected range as measured when the charging finished. Of course if I left the car outside in the cold, the battery got cold soaked and rated miles would go down, but at end of charge it was always around what would be expected at 90% or 80% or whatever. So no rated miles at least as soon as charging finishes is not affected by cold weather.

As to the third point. I have a ODB2 cable + bluetooth adapter and can use scan my tesla app. It shows that the car thinks my nominal capacity is 72.1kwh whereas a brand new car would have 76kwh. That's about 5% reduction and I am seeing about a 5% reduction in rated miles.

Next time I go on a road trip (next month most likely) I'll be in a position to run the car from 90% down to 10% on a single drive and see if the nominal capacity drop, matches the usage. That should give final confirmation that this is an actual drop in capacity.

As to the third point. I have a ODB2 cable + bluetooth adapter and can use scan my tesla app. It shows that the car thinks my nominal capacity is 72.1kwh whereas a brand new car would have 76kwh. That's about 5% reduction and I am seeing about a 5% reduction in rated miles.

Next time I go on a road trip (next month most likely) I'll be in a position to run the car from 90% down to 10% on a single drive and see if the nominal capacity drop, matches the usage. That should give final confirmation that this is an actual drop in capacity.

Will be interesting to see the results. I have no information as to if its real or just recalibration of the capacity math, so will be nice to have an actual test result to see what is going on.