Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range Model 3 and Tesla Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jsrawa

Apr 11, 2016
Colorado
I've been giving the standard vs long range battery some thought as I don't really commute far enough daily to justify the long range. That being said, if the Tesla Network comes to fruition during the life of my vehicle wouldn't it be beneficial to own the long range battery? I don't particularly like the idea of strangers riding in my car but as the car ages the idea may be more appealing. What are your thoughts on this?

...Tesla Network...

My understanding of it is a driverless Uber-like.

By that time, Tesla Superchargers should have automatic recharging cable-bots so you don't have to manually take your car for a recharge.

That means standard 220 miles is fine for that purpose.

I myself wants longer range because I want convenience of an option for skipping a Supercharger on a road trip which is off topic.

I've been giving the standard vs long range battery some thought as I don't really commute far enough daily to justify the long range. That being said, if the Tesla Network comes to fruition during the life of my vehicle wouldn't it be beneficial to own the long range battery? I don't particularly like the idea of strangers riding in my car but as the car ages the idea may be more appealing. What are your thoughts on this?

My thought is "no".

I think it's a good thought. But whether you add your car to the Network or look to sell it, the extra range will be gold. Skeptics will say no. My response: What do suppose the demand is for a used S40 these days?

Reactions: Runt8
I'd bet the Tesla Network won't be available until at least 2021.
I'd bet on much later. How many years have they been trying, unsuccessfully, to make a simple change like allowing cameras instead of side- view mirrors? And you expect approval of a car driving itself, unattended, on a public road? Not for a long, long time.

My understanding of it is a driverless Uber-like.

By that time, Tesla Superchargers should have automatic recharging cable-bots so you don't have to manually take your car for a recharge.

That means standard 220 miles is fine for that purpose.

I myself wants longer range because I want convenience of an option for skipping a Supercharger on a road trip which is off topic.
Discussing the range of the model 3 in light of the possible future with that rumored Tesla network is seriously pointless.
You`d need automation level 4 and 5 for that and that is still far away, at least too far to take it into consideration when discussing the range of today's model 3 :D. I kinda doubt that it`s even possible with the hardware we have....

The step from some hands free highway driving to fully legally supported autonomous driving is gigantic.

Last edited:
Reactions: BerTX
I'd bet on much later. How many years have they been trying, unsuccessfully, to make a simple change like allowing cameras instead of side- view mirrors? And you expect approval of a car driving itself, unattended, on a public road? Not for a long, long time.

These cars will never be used in a driverless uber-like service. Setting aside the enormous software problems that still need to be addressed, the sensor suite will be crude by the early 2020s. The hardware that will be used is still in the lab. Hopefully in a secret Tesla lab, but certainly in Google's lab.

The first driverless taxis will be corporate owned with expensive and state of the art hardware.

Reactions: Phrixotrichus
I think it's a good thought. But whether you add your car to the Network or look to sell it, the extra range will be gold. Skeptics will say no. My response: What do suppose the demand is for a used S40 these days?

You wont get your money back ($9000) or even a significant portion in 5-10 years since battery tech will be much better and the 3 and Y will be upgraded by then for New car buyers.

The Long range was built for profit only, not bang for the buck. I would splurge any extra money on EAP, or the Interior upgrades. If you dont find that you have enough range over the next 5 years, just sell and buy a new Tesla will 400-500 mile range then!