Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long range Model 3 has 334 miles range according to EPA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I said is there is currently no evidence of abnormal degradation related to charging habits thus far in the Tesla fleet.

Well to some of us, that's like saying: "I feed my 5 year old dog cheap dog food and he looks just as healthy as your 5 year old dog". It means nothing to us since we know it's not until later years that the effects will start to show -- the principle is the same with these batteries.

This is also aside from the fact that what you say you said above is not what you said. You said:

Honestly, I have seen no compelling evidence that charging to "X" percentage has any effect on the battery life, positive or negative.

The Tesloop car I was talking about in particular has 200k miles on it.

We know from the science that age means more than miles, and this is even pointed out to you:

Even if there is a difference, you won't see it for a while. If there is a difference, it'll start to show itself roughly two thirds of the way through your battery pack's lifespan, and you'll see an increase in the rate of degradation. It's referenced as a "knee" in battery capacity fade.

https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy14osti/62813.pdf

You expect the "knee" in battery capacity to show up now, when the oldest Model S is only 5 years old, and you try to say that additional miles counts for time, when the studies show otherwise.

Well to some of us, that's like saying: "I feed my 5 year old dog cheap dog food and he looks just as healthy as your 5 year old dog". It means nothing to us since we know it's not until later years that the effects will start to show -- the principle is the same with these batteries.

This is also aside from the fact that what you say you said above is not what you said. You said:

We know from the science that age means more than miles, and this is even pointed out to you:

You expect the "knee" in battery capacity to show up now, when the oldest Model S is only 5 years old, and you try to say that additional miles counts for time, when the studies show otherwise.
In the end, there still is not a trend for any Tesla cars to have abnormal degradation in an otherwise normal pack, regardless of age, miles, or charging habits.

[...]the Model 3 appears to suffer more on the highway compared to the EPA range than the Model S and Model X (which both do better on the highway than the city)[...]

it's bad wording, actually 3 fixes city range inefficiency of S/X while still being very efficient in highway speeds, every other EV have higher city range...

+1

AFAIK the best guess is that it's because they switched to a permanent magnet motor like all the other EVs, and that's more efficient for city driving.

That might play a part. But also don't forget that the Model 3 is significantly lighter. That weight reduction would benefit the city driving efficiency more than highway efficiency.

Reactions: transpondster
Undoubtedly. I think everyone is expecting some kind of major refresh of the S/X within the next 12 months. Probably a new interior that is much more "premium" along with a larger pack and maybe new exterior styling. At this point, there is almost no reason to buy the S over the 3.
Agreed - but I'm still skeptical that the 3 can provide a ride nearly as smooth as the S simply because the S has a longer wheelbase and it's so much heavier. That alone is reason for me to stick with the S.

Any owners who range charge/discharge daily might be getting close, but I think it'll be a couple more years before any differences start to show up. And we'll likely need a couple more years to differentiate a difference in capacity from noise.

Tesla is likely to switch MS/MX packs to the same cell type as Model 3 next year.
In fact, its possible Tesla will switch cells and give the next chemistry tweak only to MS/MX packs, that could be as much as 15% extra range with the same pack mass/cost.
Lets not forget. MS/MX are BIG cars. Model 3 is a medium car. You will never be able to fit 5 adults + 2 kids on a M3, like a MS with the rear seats can.
I predict MS/MX demand will continue to rise, even after M3 are shipping in volume worldwide.

Why do people keep talking about 334, as if combined mileage is what matters for almost anyone? I don't get this.

Highway mileage is what matters. The difference is 318 vs. 310, not 334 vs. 310. If Tesla had been out there plugging combined mileage figures, people would be really mad when they got their cars, got on the highway, and found they couldn't actually go that far.

I agree that highway mileage is what is relevant to range for most (nearly all) drivers. But EPA mileage figures are meant only for comparison purposes and have little relationship to real world driving. So the EPA highway mileage numbers don't matter, either. What matters is how you drive it.

What's important is that the Model 3 LR battery outperforms what is being reported by the EPA, because Tesla made it so. I think that's cool. Somebody should buy Troy a beer!

Reactions: DR61
Imagine we are able to tell a person's birthdate by processing some data. The birthdate we can calculate is their actual birthdate and not necessarily what their ID shows. We know that a few people have ID's that show a different birthdate than the actual day they were born.

When we do the calculation for Dolores, the date we calculate is different than what her ID shows. We ask the reason but she doesn't say anything. Some people suggest that maybe the calculation is wrong. Then we do the calculation for Maeve and it matches what her ID shows. We do it for Bernard and it also matches. Then we try it for Clementine but again it doesn't match her ID. Critics say the calculation must be sometimes wrong. However, Clementine pulls out another document that shows her actual birthdate and it matches.

In this analogy, Clementine represents the Model S P100D, Maeve the Nissan Leaf, Bernard the Bolt and Dolores the Model 3. What is special about the Model S P100D is that the EPA has published both the voluntarily lowered range and the range before it was voluntarily lowered.

I have to admit, considering the names you chose I'm highly suspect of the findings. Did we run each of their ID under a blacklight? They could be forgeries.

Agreed - but I'm still skeptical that the 3 can provide a ride nearly as smooth as the S simply because the S has a longer wheelbase and it's so much heavier. That alone is reason for me to stick with the S.

By the same token the Model 3 should provide sportier handling, which is reason alone to make me switch. The Model S was always too much Luxo-barge for my tastes (although reasonably sporty).

Reactions: xav-
It appears that Tesla might be under reporting the range of the long range Model 3. According to the EPA, they calculate a range of 334 miles, not 310 miles: Tesla Model 3 actually has 334 miles of range according to EPA data

I know range can vary in EV cars from a lot of factors. But this could be really good news. I suspect Tesla might be under reporting in order to under promise and over deliver. But an EPA range of 334 miles is excellent. I suspect that the standard range model 3 might also have better range than reported too. Maybe the standard range is closer to 240 miles?
The range is great and Tesla got it reasons to lower the model 3 range till the x and s refresh. But the model 3 dc charge rate seems higher then normal or is it just me. I’ve attached the model 3 epa report below

Attachments

• 886A59F8-0D7E-4915-92B9-382CB8843486.png
    886A59F8-0D7E-4915-92B9-382CB8843486.png
    132 KB · Views: 86