Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range Model 3 was just updated to now offer 614 Kilometers on one charge - Fortune article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the 82kwh panasonic battery module. The European models have been updated on the website. I assume the US models are waiting the new EPA rating before updating the website.

Some Q2 LR are equipped with them. Early to tell if all Q2 post interior update all have the new batteries or not. I assume there will be transition models based on LG stocks remaining.

Reactions: NuttyM3
The article says it uses the WLTP ratings, and they converted to miles, so I would say that until proven otherwise this is the same vehicle as before with the same battery as before.

========================

(moderator note: changed thread title to reflect 614 kilometers which is what the article was pointing out about model 3)

This is the 82kwh panasonic battery module. The European models have been updated on the website. I assume the US models are waiting the new EPA rating before updating the website.

Some Q2 LR are equipped with them. Early to tell if all Q2 post interior update all have the new batteries or not. I assume there will be transition models based on LG stocks remaining.
I was thinking it may be for the EU market first since the article was mainly talking in metric terms. Well, if it ends up making to the US market it'll closer to the 400 mile mark. That's a plus I guess. These are the batteries that'll probably be in the Cybertruck when they start producing them.

I was thinking it may be for the EU market first since the article was mainly talking in metric terms. Well, if it ends up making to the US market it'll closer to the 400 mile mark. That's a plus I guess. These are the batteries that'll probably be in the Cybertruck when they start producing them.

Not sure where you are getting "it will be closer to the 400 mile mark in the US". The WLTP measuring cycle is more optimistic than the EPA so its unlikely to be too much more than you are already seeing on the tesla website.

Not sure where you are getting "it will be closer to the 400 mile mark in the US". The WLTP measuring cycle is more optimistic than the EPA so its unlikely to be too much more than you are already seeing on the tesla website.
I get it that the WLTP is a different measurement then what is used for the US market. But, if it's true that the new battery will be 82kwh size then it'll have a better range then the current battery and thus be closer to the 400 mile range mark then what is currently being offered.

My prediction will be somewhere around 380-390. My 2019 Model 3 AWD, when purchased, was listed at 310 and now they are 353. So, a 10% increase in range with the new batteries is not out of the realm of possibilities.
It went from 55kwh to 72 (if I remember correctly). This time it’s 72 to 82. Much more modest difference. Also, the WLTP range difference is 34 KM which is about 20mi and WLTP overvalues more than EPA. So 10-15 is probably around what to expect

My prediction will be somewhere around 380-390. My 2019 Model 3 AWD, when purchased, was listed at 310 and now they are 353. So, a 10% increase in range with the new batteries is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Since we are predicting, my prediction is that it will be 360, because WLTP is more generous than EPA, and tesla locks out part of the battery as a reserve.

I think it's a supply change more than an actual improvement. They went from LG to Panasonic. Maybe that was the "closest to current spec" or something like that. Tesla today feels a LOT like Marshall amps in the late 60s 70s. "Hey we're out of 22n capacitors. Drop 100n instead and ship!"

Me personally, it wouldn't make much since to upgrade to a new battery and only increase it with 7 miles of range. But that's just me. Doesn't seem like it's worth the squeeze if it only goes from 353 to 360.

It wont make sense to upgrade for range until tesla switches to the new battery architecture. Also, if you are looking at upgrading because of range, you would want actual real range, not just EPA range (but if you are a current model 3 owner you likely know that).

Anyway, the 2021 Model 3 range discussion thread is here, and you can read up on the lengthy discussion on current range, battery etc in that thread: