Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Long Range Model S/X Get $5,000 Price Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The Long Range versions of Tesla’s Model S sedan and Model X SUV have received a $5,000 price increase.

The Model S will now start at $84,990 and the Model X at $94,990

The prices of Tesla vehicles have fluctuated all year. The Model Y had two price changes last month. And certain variants of the Model 3 and Model Y received price reductions in February and early March, then the price of the Model 3 increased in late March. Another three increases for Model 3 and Model Y have occurred since. Tesla’s priciest vehicle, the Model S Plaid also received a $10,000 price increase in June.

The Model S and Model X recently received a refresh with slight exterior updates and interesting new interior features like a yolk steering wheel.

Tesla did not give a reason for the price increase but has previously said supply chain issues have caused the increase for Model 3 and Model Y vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered my Model X in November. They raised the refresh price $10,000, but said we would get a $2,000 discount. I have not seen reference to that in the on-line paperwork, just sales assoc. says so. I really hope they are not raising the price of the X I have waited 7 months (at this point). If so, I may just pass altogether. We'll see.

Wouldn't you get the price at the time of the deposit?
One would hope so, and that the price increase would apply to new orders. My initial order was at 79,000+, then the refresh went up 10 thousand, I'm ok with that for improvements (like the yoke, don't like the stalkless controls). but now....I'll wait and see. I have an EDD of August, we'll see if that's realistic. Want it by year end for depreciation.

Prices for all goods are rising, just not cars...
One man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Prices (or value) for all goods (& services) are pretty much the same ... but fake paper currency is in free-fall. It's the nature of doubling & tripling fake paper supply.
Better buy a Model S quick. Otherwise the paper will only be worth bundling into bricks so your kids can play with the bundles like Legos .... just like in Germany, 1923.

2.JPG

As I mentioned elsewhere I ordered a MY in February and then put it on hold. Recently I finalized the order and they honored the February price. But, I couldn’t change a thing without incurring the new price.

This is a simple case study of supply and demand coupled with global raw material shortage. All Tesla models are at least 2-3 months out if you order today. The Model 3 LR can be up to 4 1/2 months out per Tesla‘s website! We are getting close to not being able to get a Tesla until January 2022 soon enough. So what do you do as a manufacturer in this case especially when there are global raw material shortages and raw material price increases? You keep raising your own prices to see what the market will bear, while also producing inventory as quickly as possible in hopes of leveling off supply and demand while also raking in a nice profit. I absolutely imagine once Tesla is able to fulfill all these orders and global raw material shortages level out as well we will see price reductions in all Tesla‘s. it’s just simple economics.

I personally would like to see the Tax Credits go away for all manufacturers. Tesla sales proved that EVs no longer need a stimulus. They have now reached the point that the demand is there and therefore do not need the Tax Credits...

I agree and I also think getting any new tax credits for EV's through the (US) government as it is currently constructed (and even after 2022 midterms) is a pipe dream. Impossible to get through the Senate without 60 votes.

Reactions: Pacernow
I agree and I also think getting any new tax credits for EV's through the (US) government as it is currently constructed (and even after 2022 midterms) is a pipe dream. Impossible to get through the Senate without 60 votes.
Although it is far from settled, I thought the EV credits were part of the bipartisan agreed infrastructure bill.

Although it is far from settled, I thought the EV credits were part of the bipartisan agreed infrastructure bill.
If the Democrats are including EV tax credits in their $3.5T plan just announced yesterday, then yes it could pass through the budget reconciliation process which only requires a simple majority in the Senate. However, no details have been released on what exactly is in that bill and there is absolutely no guarantee the moderate Democratic senators will vote for a massive $3.5T spending bill. There is a another $1T "bipartisan bill" previously reported that does not include any EV tax credits. There are two separate bills currently. Personally, I will be shocked if they are actually able to pass an EV tax credit. It carries a high price tag and is likely one of the first things to be cut in order to appease moderates and lower the total price tag of the infrastructure bill. However, I agree things are far from settled!