Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long range or Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently decided on Long Range. Money was part of it but I knew I would very seldom use that extra acceleration. I badly wanted the carbon fiber that is not available on the Long Range but not for the 16 grand. I have also had two operations on my neck already so decided caution was better. The LR is still the quickest car I have ever owned.

To me Range was obsolute game changer. I am not willing to exhange 20 miles of range for speed and to pay more for less. Sorry but 4.4 0-60 is crazy fast as it is.. good luck on your decision. what ever it is youll be happy

To me Range was obsolute game changer. I am not willing to exhange 20 miles of range for speed and to pay more for less. Sorry but 4.4 0-60 is crazy fast as it is.. good luck on your decision. what ever it is youll be happy
Same here. Even if it's the same price, I'd still want the long range version. However, if the LR is in the 500 miles range and the Performance is around 450 range, then the Performance of course. I have a 3.6 0-60 Corvette and I didn't buy the MX for speed.

Same here. Even if it's the same price, I'd still want the long range version. However, if the LR is in the 500 miles range and the Performance is around 450 range, then the Performance of course. I have a 3.6 0-60 Corvette and I didn't buy the MX for speed.

Whatever makes you happy. I don't think there'll ever be a time when 25 miles on the end of 300 miles will make or break a trip for me - and I'm not really convinced that the difference is as large as stated.

Certainly my Ludicrous Raven achieves rated numbered much, much more easily than my 75D did; I don't know if the LR Raven is similarly underrated or not.

Whatever makes you happy. I don't think there'll ever be a time when 25 miles on the end of 300 miles will make or break a trip for me - and I'm not really convinced that the difference is as large as stated.

Certainly my Ludicrous Raven achieves rated numbered much, much more easily than my 75D did; I don't know if the LR Raven is similarly underrated or not.
The two most popular locations we travel from Los Angels is Las Vegas and San Francisco. The LR Raven won't make it so SF in one charge. Las Vegas is about 265 miles away and it will be very closed when traveling 75 mph. 75 is the norm speed to Vegas. Tesla recommended 1 stop between LA and Vegas. My friend's pre-raven 295 miles rated couldn't make it to Vegas in one charge. Of course, he was doing 75mph with full air on a 90+ degree day.
To me, 450 true range would be ideal at where I live.

I bought the LR because range is more important to me than an occasional rapid acceleration. I too have a Corvette for that and I’ll be taking the 20K I saved from not buying the Performance version and applying it to a C8 convertible (which is supposed to be unveiled next month)

I recently decided on Long Range. Money was part of it but I knew I would very seldom use that extra acceleration. I badly wanted the carbon fiber that is not available on the Long Range but not for the 16 grand. I have also had two operations on my neck already so decided caution was better. The LR is still the quickest car I have ever owned.
I bought my modelX I’m June. Tesla was able to change out the interior trim to carbon fiber. Cost is $1300. Did it after I received the car. Looks way better than the wood trim.

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Yeah, you reminded me of how I miss playing around with the Vette's customization. I feel like Tesla is the complete opposite of the Vette in terms of customizing a car. For the Vette, it's like 50+ way to configure the car from picking the type of seats, to seat belt color all the way to picking the color of the stitching. For Tesla, it's like what, five options? lol.

Reactions: K2500Z71
I chose the LR mostly for the efficiency and range as a refined family hauler.

I have had a Yamaha R1 since 2007 for the 2.8 second 0-60. I could buy a brand new one now with the $16K+ I saved going with the LR...

You are not going to take your minivan to the track. There's nowhere else you can take full advantage of it. I did consider a Performance Model 3, but not X.

I’m in the process of researching the Model X as my next car. I keep going back and forth on the LR vs Performance. My questions are:

1) Does the LR have AWD or just rear wheel?
2) Is there a difference in towing package?
3) Is it true that you can get almost the 305 rated miles on the Performance by going with the 20” tires?
4) I was told that the dual engines are smoother than the one, thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I’m in the process of researching the Model X as my next car. I keep going back and forth on the LR vs Performance. My questions are:

3) Is it true that you can get almost the 305 rated miles on the Performance by going with the 20” tires?

Thanks in advance.
All Model X are dual motor (all wheel drive). I have a long range and routinely beat the rated miles. It’s a great vehicle. No regrets.

Thanks in advance.

All Xs are dual motor AWD. There is no difference in rated towing between LR and Performance. (But 20” vs 22” makes a big difference in towing for either.)

My Ludicrous Raven easily exceeds EPA rating in most driving conditions in decent weather, unlike the 2016 X75D I had before.

Thank you both for clarifying that. Now it’s even a tougher decision for me.

I tend to think it's pretty easy. If the money's available and you like quick cars at all, Performance. If either the money would be a problem or you're not into spirited driving, Long Range.

LR is plenty quick for any rational purpose, and you can have plenty of fun driving it. Ludicrous is another level entirely.

Reactions: Spelly88 and jet44
I tend to think it's pretty easy. If the money's available and you like quick cars at all, Performance. If either the money would be a problem or you're not into spirited driving, Long Range.

LR is plenty quick for any rational purpose, and you can have plenty of fun driving it. Ludicrous is another level entirely.

The problem is I test drove the performance and I’m not sure I actually utilized it to it’s potential, meaning, I didn’t specifically try to do a 0-60 launch. But, when I did push the pedal, it was great. So I want to drive the LR to see the difference. Either way, it will be the fastest car I’ve ever bought. My other fast car was an Audi A8L, great car.