Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range or Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MYP for me; not necessarily because it’s more practical but it does really handle that much better with the lower stance. That alone is worth the upgrade imho. I absolutely love the MP3 but not practical with a growing family. Model S rear seats were not fun for car seats. We have 2 land cruiser so don’t need another 6-7 seater in the model X. MYP fills the gap of practicality and fun to drive. It really is the best compromise.

We ordered a MYLR with an EDD of January. As the MYP has an EDD of June-July am contemplating switching to the Performance.

In addition to the $5000 price difference any cons to in the driving and handling of the P over the LR? I know its faster, but does it handle differently than the LR?

Thanks!
If you get a Y P you will want to swap out the summer performance tires it comes with for either winter or a/s tires when winter hits. Summer perf tires are absolute crap in snow, here's a video that compares summer, all season and winter tires. He doesn't use a Tesla in the video but it's pretty amazing the difference the right tires make.

Reactions: DesertEagle
If you had the choice to purchase both today which would you choose, if LR, then ask yourself if $5,000 is worth the extra cost of getting the a Performance five months sooner and worth the extra feature that the performance has over the LR. Patience is always a virtue.

I made that switch in Nov 21 when the MYLR I had on order moved to July 22 for an EDD. Picked up our MYP 3/4 and am very glad we made the change. It came with Michelin A/S tires, that should work well in any weather we get in NC, and it is a blast to drive. I’m going to have 10,000 miles on it before our MYLR would have even showed up.

Thanks all for the insights. My SA said the MYP for Chicago comes with Michelin A/S tires.

Final question (hopefully) - For those of you that actually have a MYP - Is the ride really that much stiffer, harder and rougher than the MYLR?
It’s the combination of lower springs and 21in rims. Probably more so because of the rims.

The tires are so thin there is not much cushion between you and the beautiful roads of Chicago.

If you get some aftermarket rims maybe 19/20. Plus a thicker tire. You’ll be go. Your speedometer will be a little off but a lot more comfortable.