Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range Plus or Performance X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forum lurker here. I ordered a 2020 X Performance with FSD with under 1000 miles from Tesla yesterday for $10K off list. Turns out Tesla has it locally and surprisingly the car will be available to me as soon as next week. From owners of the 2020 X with either Long Range Plus or Performance, if your choice was the car I ordered or a new Performance Plus with no miles, would you pay the extra $12K for the faster car with reduced range? Thank you.

There is no such thing as a Performance Plus.

I think only you can decide if you want to pay the difference for Performance (be it used or new) and the lost range.

I think only you can decide on used vs new as well.

Personally, I never buy used or “demo”. Not worth the risk of headaches. I’d rather have the range than insane acceleration. If I could have both for free, sure. As it is, I keep my non performance in Chill mode. But that’s just me.

I think most people are happy with their choice.

I do recommend not getting a 5 Seater. 6/7 has a larger A/C system with two zones.

Oh I think the Performance has lower tow capacity if I recall. Which is also a big deal to me.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up and P85_DA
I agree, I would be cautious about buying a demo car. I’ve heard people having to replace tires after only a couple thousand miles. Also with it being a performance, you know people have been doing a ton of launches on it which causes wear on the car.

i didn't buy directly from Tesla, but i opted for Performance.

I want the power when I want it vs. not ever having the ability to get it. luda and luda plus mode is just bananas. i can always drive in sport or chill mode if i want to. having the ability to leverage more power when i want it was the key. plus the red calipers sets the car off really well too.

range didn't matter as much to me, as the X gets charged every night without issue at home. super chargers are plenty if you need juice on a longer drive / road trip. i don't tow anything, but do attach a bike rack via the hitch and it works very well.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA
We just picked up a 2020 LR+. It's my wifes car, and honestly even if it was my primary driver I wouldn't have sprung for performance. I will never have a need to go 0-60 in less than 4 seconds. Awesome for grins (I've had a lot of other performance cars that were sub 4 seconds) but from a practical perspective, it's worthless. I'd rather get more distance and fewer charges for long trips. If there was a difference in interior features, cameras, etc. I would have probably sprung for it. But just for a smile every now and again? I'll save that for my race cars.

Range was a big deal to me when we bought our 2019 Model X. I now realize that with a home charger, and access to many SuperChargers, it is just no big deal. I do not tow, but I do quite a few 1000 mile trips each year and it has not been as issue. For me, performance is never enough, and I'm 76 years old! Remember having a performance EV is not like having an ICE performance car where you pay for performance, even if you don't use it. Modern fuel management and valve timing have helped a great deal as long as you are not comparing to an EV! Having said all that, I did not opt for the Performance on this X, but it will be on my next Tesla, be it X or CyberTruck.

• Love
Range was a big deal to me when we bought our 2019 Model X. I now realize that with a home charger, and access to many SuperChargers, it is just no big deal. I do not tow, but I do quite a few 1000 mile trips each year and it has not been as issue. For me, performance is never enough, and I'm 76 years old! Remember having a performance EV is not like having an ICE performance car where you pay for performance, even if you don't use it. Modern fuel management and valve timing have helped a great deal as long as you are not comparing to an EV! Having said all that, I did not opt for the Performance on this X, but it will be on my next Tesla, be it X or CyberTruck.

But you DO pay for EV performance. You pay $20K up front and you use more wh of battery to get from point A to point B. There is a reason it has less range on the same battery, it’s less efficient. If it was the same efficiency I might have opted for it. If fact, I did on a Model 3 Performance (stealth) because it was the exact same efficiency as AWD. The cost on range / efficiency, plus $20K and probably cost on tires was a bit to much.

Have a 2020 Model X LR+. I also have a C7 Corvette. The "base" X has plenty of power. I would much rather have more range then more power. If a new model came out with more power, it would not interest me in an early upgrade. Now add an extra 100 miles of range and I would think about it. Even with 350 mile range "advertised" you are really only going to get @80%. So that is 280 miles and you are going to recharge before your get below 50 miles. So now you have 230 mile range. And when you do recharge you are not going to go over 80% because the last 20% will take too long. So now your charge up to 280 which will only give you @220 - 50 = 170 miles. So 400 miles 1 way with 1 charge is all you can do. Add an extra 100 miles to the range in real world = 80 + 64 = 144 miles or 544 miles 1 way with 1 charge. Big deal + gives you way more options in where to stop to charge. Range is king. 0-60 in 4.4 seconds is already plenty quick.

The base model X is already plenty fast enough for any situation you might encounter on the freeway. Unless you're taking your X to the track (why wouldn't you get an S then?) the extra speed on the performance model is just a gimmick for when you have friends in the car. Not worth the extra $20k and reduced range IMO, though others might disagree.

Reactions: GeoX750 and msm859
As many have commented, it's a lifestyle thing.
And everyone is right.
For me, I have to deal with a merge into traffic several times daily. Having even a smidgeon more acceleration makes taking this heavy car into a tiny gap easier. So Performance was a no brainer for me.

In my non-Performance X, I've never had any issues navigating the hellish freeway system that encompasses Los Angeles, including triple interchanges, disappearing lanes, and distracted drivers. I'd even go as far as saying that if you need the extra power that comes with Performance to make a merge, it's probably not a safe maneuver in the first place. The base model is already incredibly nimble on the freeway.

P all the way !!... the range differential between a LR vs P is not enough to skip a supercharger on a long trip do the current spacing ...I agree range is king but in practical driving I have not seen where LR would be advantageous for me ..I have had 3 Tesla’s all Ps;)

Reactions: RedXowner
" if you need the extra power that comes with Performance to make a merge"
The key here is I am going from 0 to 30.
Don't know the stats but my experience (my wife has a non performance X) tells me that the difference is significant and makes a slightly risky maneuver into a relatively easy merge.

P all the way !!... the range differential between a LR vs P is not enough to skip a supercharger on a long trip do the current spacing ...I agree range is king but in practical driving I have not seen where LR would be advantageous for me ..I have had 3 Tesla’s all Ps;)
I agree with the "not enough to skip a supercharger" statement, and travel to Phoenix & Mendocino from SF. Had a 90D and now the P100DL, worlds of difference, I understand more than the difference OP is asking. But still, I vote "Go P"

• Love
Towing on both long Range Plus & Performance is the same 5k lbs / 500lbs tongue weight. The only difference is still being able to smoke anyone at a light with a fully loaded trailer. Mind you probably need to get your half shafts changed sooner
For me I really wanted the carbon look on the dash and the extra $20k would’ve been spent on something stupid otherwise. I bought the car at 28, no reason to wait until I’m 40 to justify myself

• Love