Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range Plus or Performance X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 2020 Model X LR+. I also have a C7 Corvette. The "base" X has plenty of power. I would much rather have more range then more power. If a new model came out with more power, it would not interest me in an early upgrade. Now add an extra 100 miles of range and I would think about it. Even with 350 mile range "advertised" you are really only going to get @80%. So that is 280 miles and you are going to recharge before your get below 50 miles. So now you have 230 mile range. And when you do recharge you are not going to go over 80% because the last 20% will take too long. So now your charge up to 280 which will only give you @220 - 50 = 170 miles. So 400 miles 1 way with 1 charge is all you can do. Add an extra 100 miles to the range in real world = 80 + 64 = 144 miles or 544 miles 1 way with 1 charge. Big deal + gives you way more options in where to stop to charge. Range is king. 0-60 in 4.4 seconds is already plenty quick.

when you only going to get 280 @80% - do you mean that you assume people will drive it 80% before recharging or that's your experience with the "real world" range. just ordered an LR+ yesterday. Our MX 90D with 257 rated range never did over 200 and my MX 100D (2019 pre raven) never does more than 300. I plan to put in 22's on the LR+

Forum lurker here. I ordered a 2020 X Performance with FSD with under 1000 miles from Tesla yesterday for $10K off list. Turns out Tesla has it locally and surprisingly the car will be available to me as soon as next week. From owners of the 2020 X with either Long Range Plus or Performance, if your choice was the car I ordered or a new Performance Plus with no miles, would you pay the extra $12K for the faster car with reduced range? Thank you.

I was in a similar situation back in June. I was looking for a LR+, and in my searches, came across a Performance that was a floor model, with $14K discount.

I ended up going with the Raven P, and in ~7500 miles, I'm at 312 wh/mi, which translates to about 320.5 miles on a 100% charge. Even with "spirited" highway driving, I can get about 280 miles on a charge.

If the purchase price is equal, you won't miss the extra range. But then you have to ask yourself about other factors, like practicality, insurance cost, etc.

Reactions: P85_DA
when you only going to get 280 @80% - do you mean that you assume people will drive it 80% before recharging or that's your experience with the "real world" range. just ordered an LR+ yesterday. Our MX 90D with 257 rated range never did over 200 and my MX 100D (2019 pre raven) never does more than 300. I plan to put in 22's on the LR+

Real world range is @80% of advertised - or worse. Everything I have read says putting on the 22's is going to drop you another 10-15%

I keep debating over and over every day and every minute if I should just go for it and trade in my 2016 90D for a New 2020 model. I like the way the new ones feel, its so much more comfortable and quiet, feels like what this car should have been in the first place. Only thing Im sad about is loosing that lfie long supercharging.. oh well, maybe I should just stick w/ the 2016 and my constant neck pain and headache from the stiff ride.

I keep debating over and over every day and every minute if I should just go for it and trade in my 2016 90D for a New 2020 model. I like the way the new ones feel, its so much more comfortable and quiet, feels like what this car should have been in the first place. Only thing Im sad about is loosing that lfie long supercharging.. oh well, maybe I should just stick w/ the 2016 and my constant neck pain and headache from the stiff ride.
Keep an eye out come December. TSLA is trying to hit that 500k mark and need to sell 170k or so vehicles. They might just bring back free SC for the X and S. I'm supposed to take delivery next month but I'm highly considering postponing till December to see what is offered.

Reactions: BM3B and mohanman
When I got my 19’ Raven performance last year it was 305 vs I think 325/328 miles. For the 20 extra miles I wanted the performance. Now that it’s 50 miles I think I’d still go with the P, if it was 100+ miles more and also less money then maybe do the LR.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
I will probably get the LR+ when I turn in my lease in May. 0-60 in 4 secs is fast enough to bet anything onto the highway or off a stoplight. The car sits in the garage 99% of the time, so 22" wheel looks are not important.

Also, every 10th car I go by is a Tesla, so even a X Performance is nothing special. A new neighbor on one side has one (wife's car) and a Ferrari. The neighbor on the other side bought Taycan Turbo. I can't keep up with them.

Real world range is @80% of advertised - or worse. Everything I have read says putting on the 22's is going to drop you another 10-15%

whats your average economy? I test drove one today - LR+ non-performance. Around 60 miles - city and highway. It was 55F and I got 315 Wh/mi. Did around 65-70 on the highway. Is it reasonable to assume that I will get this economy? obviously taking out extreme weather scenarios and if so - then if I land in the 350/360 wh/mi in 22's. I would be very happy.

We have a 90D that we are keeping mainly because we need two cars and really for the amount of money someone is going to pay you for it there really isn't a better car. So what's the point. Also, the 2016 MX'd had the Dolby surround system if you bought the upgraded sound system - Now all the cars come with Premium sound but it's not the same. One thing that annoys me a bit with our 2016 MX is the seat height - it doesn't go as low as the new MX ones so you're driving position is higher and that doesn't work for me. We decided to turn our 2019 MS 100D for the new X LR+

Have a 2020 Model X LR+. I also have a C7 Corvette. The "base" X has plenty of power. I would much rather have more range then more power. If a new model came out with more power, it would not interest me in an early upgrade. Now add an extra 100 miles of range and I would think about it. Even with 350 mile range "advertised" you are really only going to get @80%. So that is 280 miles and you are going to recharge before your get below 50 miles. So now you have 230 mile range. And when you do recharge you are not going to go over 80% because the last 20% will take too long. So now your charge up to 280 which will only give you @220 - 50 = 170 miles. So 400 miles 1 way with 1 charge is all you can do. Add an extra 100 miles to the range in real world = 80 + 64 = 144 miles or 544 miles 1 way with 1 charge. Big deal + gives you way more options in where to stop to charge. Range is king. 0-60 in 4.4 seconds is already plenty quick.

I strongly agree with this. We live in Colorado and love to do both day trips and overnight trips into the mountains where the charging infrastructure is pretty weak (either no Super Chargers or they are waaaay outside where we want to be.) Having increased range for those trips was the deciding factor for us. We Turo'd a Performance before making our decision and Ludacris mode is ****ing awesome, but honestly, how often are you gonna use that power? The LR+ has plenty of acceleration for passing slow/obnoxious vehicles on those back mountain roads. Lack of range anxiety was key for our uses. We just spent a week up in the Rockies and were nowhere near a Super Charger and only had Level 1 charging where we stayed, so we had to plan our drives and charges pretty carefully given the math outlined above. If we had gone with the Performance we would have had to change our daily plans.

I'm not advocating that others don't get the Performance, but your decision should be based on what you plan to use the vehicle for. We specifically needed more range. That being said, if Tesla somehow figured out how to bump the power on the LR+ for an upgrade fee, I'd totally jump on it.

Reactions: BM3B
I strongly agree with this. We live in Colorado and love to do both day trips and overnight trips into the mountains where the charging infrastructure is pretty weak (either no Super Chargers or they are waaaay outside where we want to be.) Having increased range for those trips was the deciding factor for us. We Turo'd a Performance before making our decision and Ludacris mode is ****ing awesome, but honestly, how often are you gonna use that power? The LR+ has plenty of acceleration for passing slow/obnoxious vehicles on those back mountain roads. Lack of range anxiety was key for our uses. We just spent a week up in the Rockies and were nowhere near a Super Charger and only had Level 1 charging where we stayed, so we had to plan our drives and charges pretty carefully given the math outlined above. If we had gone with the Performance we would have had to change our daily plans.

I'm not advocating that others don't get the Performance, but your decision should be based on what you plan to use the vehicle for. We specifically needed more range. That being said, if Tesla somehow figured out how to bump the power on the LR+ for an upgrade fee, I'd totally jump on it.

I have always said that teslas sweet spot would be at 450+ miles because no one charges to 100 daily,or lets it drop below 15-20%. In winter time thats a whole different story, So with 450+miles in the bag we can do 300 miles with all the worst conditions thrown at us.

Reactions: msm859
I have always said that teslas sweet spot would be at 450+ miles because no one charges to 100 daily,or lets it drop below 15-20%. In winter time thats a whole different story, So with 450+miles in the bag we can do 300 miles with all the worst conditions thrown at us.

Honestly, 450 miles is more than most vehicles in the USA get on a full tank. If the future battery changes get put into the existing fleet and every model has the possibility of getting more than 500mi of range, I feel like that would be the final nail for the majority of ICE use cases. The next few years are going to be amazing!

Reactions: davezforce
Honestly, 450 miles is more than most vehicles in the USA get on a full tank. If the future battery changes get put into the existing fleet and every model has the possibility of getting more than 500mi of range, I feel like that would be the final nail for the majority of ICE use cases. The next few years are going to be amazing!
How can you compare an ice car with 300 miles of range to a Tesla with 400 miles of range? until we have the same amount of supercharges as gas stations and charging time to go to 100% will be the same time as a gas station, I would stop trying to comparing them.

it is getting better no doubt but until they match we need Teslas and other EVs to push the range over what ICE cars are capable of.

Reactions: msm859
How can you compare an ice car with 300 miles of range to a Tesla with 400 miles of range? until we have the same amount of supercharges as gas stations and charging time to go to 100% will be the same time as a gas station, I would stop trying to comparing them.

it is getting better no doubt but until they match we need Teslas and other EVs to push the range over what ICE cars are capable of.

I've got a toddler. My stops are frequent and usually more than 2 minutes anyway.

Might as well also be in a vehicle that removes the stress of getting from one supercharger to the next.

I already asked Elon for acceleration boost for X

Hi there, I think about buying 2020 model x long range or performance.
I'm thinking about: if both car have 20" wheels and chill mode, the range will be different?
Or the performance decreased range is because the larger, 22" wheels?