Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range, Rear Wheel Drive Owners - Step in Please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't easily give this info in a proper way right now since my car rarely goes much below 50% and very rarely above 80% so I'm sure the BMS is a little out of whack on what it thinks. Stats app right now says:

75% current charge level

Estimated range: 232mi/310
Rated range: 228mi/304

Did I get the 325mi update? Not really. I've never seen it above I think 317 but I also use % view, not range, so it was only when I looked via the API or apps.

Jan 2018 build, ~25,000 miles.

I'm going on a road trip in a few weeks that'll see me getting down into the single digits and some 100% charges though, so I'll report back after those.

What you want is too much work, and I don't really care enough. Right now at least. I will show you this -
Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 5.03.58 PM.jpg

80%: 250
90%: 280
100%: 311 (by extrapolation—haven’t done a full charge in a long time)
July 2018 build
27000 miles

Yes, we saw 325–or maybe 323–after that update, and it has tapered down over time. Last time I did an extrapolation a couple months ago it was 317.

I guess Tesla updates the rated range again? But I noticed something really interesting. Last week I took the car out right after I charged to 100% (300 miles). It stayed at 300 miles for about 7 miles of driving.
Also this morning I left home with 90% (269 miles). My office is 26 miles from home. When I arrived, it’s showing 243 miles, which is exactly 26 miles less. It was 32F this morning and I have snow tires. Heater set to 70F and heated seat on lowest setting. Wh/mi was about 265. I expected the car would use more rated range than 26 miles (which it always did before). Perhaps Tesla has improved how to calculate real world power usage?

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
LR RWD - 32,000km (19,883miles)
Since range increase a 90% charge would always show me 470km. (292miles)
Right after V10 a 90% charge showed 455km. (283miles)
Two weeks a 90% charge is showing 429km. (267miles)
Today a 90% charge is showing 457km (284 miles)
I was at the service center a few weeks ago and asked "why is my rated range dropping". They told me "with the new software updates that range is now based on your driving habits as it learns the way you drive and predicts your range accordingly". Tesla recommended I change my display to battery percentage.

4/2019 build
80%: unknown, never pay attention at 80%
90%: 292 miles
100%: 325 miles
Rated Range increase to 325 miles: Yes, since day 1

These are the numbers I had experienced from 4/19/2019 when picking the car up until about a month ago when v10 came down the pipe. That was the first update that I installed when the car was not connected to power, and the rated range changed at that time until this morning. 90% was 287 and 100% was 317 until I let the car re-learn the rated range, now everything is back to normal.

If anyone wants to try following what I did, it's fairly simple but can take some time. Upon noticing the car charged at 90% was only 287 miles of range, I brought the charge up to 100% and let it sit connected for 12 hours to power after completing the charge (car only showing 317 miles). I then drove the car over the next week and a half until I arrived at home one night at 1%/4 miles remaining, and charged once again to 100% then left if connected for another 6 hours after charging completed (still showing 317 miles upon disconnection). I then drove the car until the charge dropped to 70%, and resumed my normal 120v/16a charge at the office again to work back towards 90% charge, still showing 287 miles. Finally, I drove all over town yesterday, got the car back down below 50% charge, and connected at home overnight. Charging completed after 3 hours, but power remained connected for the next 6. As of this morning, i'm back to 292 at 90% and 325 at 100%.

They told me "with the new software updates that range is now based on your driving habits as it learns the way you drive and predicts your range accordingly

Tesla service centers have been giving customers that B.S. answer for years (since before the 3).

If that was true my 90% would have changed when the weather got colder or I spent a week on a road trip. It did not.

June 2018 build, 20k miles.

80%: don't know, used to be 247 before range increase
90%: 285
100%: 317
Rated range increase: kind of, went from 307 at the time to 317. Never saw 320+

Above numbers are best-case; sometimes (maybe half the time) the charge comes in a mile or two less.

Peak range dropped from 310 to 307 in the first month-ish of ownership, no noticeable degradation since then. V10 software hasn't changed anything, as far as I've noticed.

I don't necessarily agree. A larger data sample is going to point out outlier's and from there we can speculate why the outliers exist.

It's not a constant number and the same car. My range at 80% has varied over time, some up, some down. It depends a lot on the software release, temperature, and the charging history. Charge a car to only 50% all the time and the number look like crap, but the battery is still in great shape.
You don't have the relevant data to make a valid statistical/scientific correlation.

So far, after lots of folks complaining, there have been very few outliers after a battery has been properly conditioned and calibrated.

06/2019 build - one of the last LR RWDs to be built :)
2.3K miles

80%: 257 (was 260 before the cold season started)
90%: 292
100%: Never tried (Did like ~95% and was at like ~318 miles or so)
Rated range: Already had it once purchased

05/2018 build, vin 26xxx
14K miles

80%: 253 miles (cold last night)
90%: --- miles - I don't usually charge to this.
100%: 306 miles (about a month ago)
Rated Range increase to 325 miles: No never saw any increase.

100% was as low as 304 on a road trip back in May/June 2019 before the pre-conditioning update.

My Teslafi report looks like @sduck 's does, and so isn't the question "What happened after V10" simplistic? As has been pointed out, a "full" battery has varied several times over the last year depending on software version. Plus, I'm sure Tesla pads the ends a bit, so 0% and 100% probably aren't completely empty or full. Don't you think the unknowns are of sufficient magnitude to obscure any patterns you think you see in your data? (Not to say Tesla isn't doing this intentionally)

Either this or I'm just not clever enough to see what you hope to accomplish. What do you hope to accomplish?

Reactions: sduck
I'm simply trying to graph where range is for any given percentage number. It's not wildly scientific but you can pick outliers and that's what I'm trying to see. The more data we have, the more we can confirm that the outliers are indeed outliers. We can sit and pontificate about version numbers, how often cars are charged, etc but I'm not there yet. I just want to graph the raw data for now.

This used to be a regular occurrence back in the day with the older Model S's and nobody said a peep. 90% for an 85kwh Model S was 228 - 230 most of the time and so when you had people reporting dramatically below that you surmise that there was some sort of issue.