Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range, RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been a few that have popped up in inventory in the past few months but they haven’t actually been available to order for months. I just took delivery of one of these but it was built in April. I think there was also some mention of an attempt to fill dormant orders last month, but there’s been no indication they’ll start producing them for general sale again.

Your best bet is to have your SA run a check for you regularly if that’s the model you want. Clearly they’ve shown up occasionally in the past month. I’ve seen at least 3 or 4.

They are not currently building them. I would not be surprised if they bring them back early next year to stimulate demand once the tax credit is completely phased out. But if you need a car right away I’m not sure I’d wait since it’s anyone’s guess if and when it might happen.

They are not currently building them. I would not be surprised if they bring them back early next year to stimulate demand once the tax credit is completely phased out. But if you need a car right away I’m not sure I’d wait since it’s anyone’s guess if and when it might happen.

Yes, Tesla want's the extra profit of the second motor. I can't blame them given the situation. But by all means people should look for them if they want them.

I'm aware of this thread being a bit aged.
I'm curious to hear your reason for wanting the LR RWD. I was given a loaner a while back and fell in love with how it drives. Over the weekend I was able to locate a 2018 through Tesla and I'm currently working on trading in my 2020 MY. It's not that I don't love the MY but I think the LR RWD M3 feels more spirited to drive with a good kick in the pants. Not the fastest Tesla but enough to be fun.

More about the trade here.

I'm curious to hear your reason for wanting the LR RWD. I was given a loaner a while back and fell in love with how it drives. Over the weekend I was able to locate a 2018 through Tesla and I'm currently working on trading in my 2020 MY. It's not that I don't love the MY but I think the LR RWD M3 feels more spirited to drive with a good kick in the pants. Not the fastest Tesla but enough to be fun.

Yes, the thread is close to 4 years old, as you mention, and the OP of this thread has not logged onto TMC since October of last year, which can be seen by clicking their name. You are not likely to get an answer from someone who hasnt logged in, in months.

• Informative
Reactions: Darmie

A 2022 or new 2023 M3 LFP RWD is probably going to have about the same range as a 2018 M3 LR RWD and probably the cost difference will be minimal as well.

• Informative
A 2022 or new 2023 M3 LFP RWD is probably going to have about the same range as a 2018 M3 LR RWD and probably the cost difference will be minimal as well.
While it won't be that far off, this really isn't quite right, at least in best-case conditions for range.

In the winter when heat pump is operating with optimal temperatures it might be true.

The 2023 will have about 60.5kWh capacity. (272 rated miles)
The 2022 might have about 57kWh capacity. (257 rated miles)
(Note these numbers will likely come down to something like 55kWh before mostly plateauing, though the LFP haven't been around long enough to say whether maybe they'll end up slightly better than that - don't have a good feel for that on the LFP RWD.)

The 2018 will have about 67-70kWh capacity (if reasonably cared for in a not-too-hot environment). (70kWh would be 299 rated miles displayed range, down from 325, at 234Wh/mi)

The 2018 does not have the heat pump.

The 2018 will Supercharge a bit faster (maybe 30% faster tops) which might be important to people taking road trips and using optimal charging strategies (5%->60%, repeat).

The rest of the system is probably pretty similar as far as efficiency goes, based on EPA results in the HWFET and UDDS standard-temp cycles. (Significant efficiency improvements were added to 2018 through software updates as has been documented, so you can't take the EPA results there directly...but anyway after correcting for that they're likely pretty similar.)

Of course there are a lot of other reasons to just get a newer vehicle. There are plenty of other differences which might make the newer vehicle worthwhile.

• Informative
While it won't be that far off, this really isn't quite right, at least in best-case conditions for range.

In the winter when heat pump is operating with optimal temperatures it might be true.

My March build 2022 has the 60.5 kwh (nominal) HV battery.

(Note these numbers will likely come down to something like 55kWh before mostly plateauing, though the LFP haven't been around long enough to say whether maybe they'll end up slightly better than that - don't have a good feel for that on the LFP RWD.)

The 2018 will have about 67-70kWh capacity (if reasonably cared for in a not-too-hot environment). (70kWh would be 299 rated miles displayed range, down from 325, at 234Wh/mi)

The 2018 does not have the heat pump.

The 2018 will Supercharge a bit faster (maybe 30% faster tops) which might be important to people taking road trips and using optimal charging strategies (5%->60%, repeat).

The rest of the system is probably pretty similar as far as efficiency goes, based on EPA results in the HWFET and UDDS standard-temp cycles. (Significant efficiency improvements were added to 2018 through software updates as has been documented, so you can't take the EPA results there directly...but anyway after correcting for that they're likely pretty similar.)

Of course there are a lot of other reasons to just get a newer vehicle. There are plenty of other differences which might make the newer vehicle worthwhile.
Here's the EPA comparison of the 2018, 2019 and 2020 LR RWD vs a 2023 LFP RWD:

If we factor in a modest ~10% range loss due to 5 years battery degradation then there's not going to be a lot of difference in the 2018 vs 2023. If Tesla added efficiency due to software updates I would have expected it to show an improved mpge in the 2020 model, but it doesn't show there, despite the improved range for that year.

My March build 2022 has the 60.5 kwh (nominal) HV battery.

Yes. The question is what it shows now for rated range at 100%. I simply applied a 5% reduction for one year of use; the actual value may be better depending on your use case. As I said, the LFPs may not degrade at the same rate, and I'm only estimating, and I don't know what will actually happen. But I do know that at some point it will be a bit less than 60.5kWh. They didn't make the warranty threshold 20% rather than 30%, so it seems Tesla believes the capacity loss characteristics will be similar to NCA. But again, I don't know.

The 2018 LR RWD started with about 78kWh.

Here's the EPA comparison of the 2018, 2019 and 2020 LR RWD vs a 2023 LFP RWD:

If we factor in a modest ~10% range loss due to 5 years battery degradation then there's not going to be a lot of difference in the 2018 vs 2023. If Tesla added efficiency due to software updates I would have expected it to show an improved mpge in the 2020 model, but it doesn't show there, despite the improved range for that year.

They did not retest after the reduction, and instead simply removed the voluntary reduction of range (which as you can see was 330 miles prior to the reduction (to either 310 or 325)). You can also see the voluntary reduction math on the EV page here (it got 345 miles city, and 312 highway, for a range of 330 miles): 2018 Datafile

I'm not even sure how many 2020 LR RWD vehicles were sold. I didn't think they were making them anymore at that point but maybe I misremember. Or it might have been a one-off small production run based on an Elon Tweet or whatever.

So it gets a few % better efficiency than these numbers state, assuming Tesla was not lying when they rolled out at least two software updates to "improve efficiency" (in 2019). (It's probably a tiny bit better than the LFP, but I'm not sure about that - and not sure why it would be but there is definitely a hint that the LFPs are a tiny bit less efficient (in the best case scenarios) than the RWD if you look at raw test data. I'm not going to split hairs on that or dig into it though - I'm not sure about why the energy transfer from battery to wheels would be any worse. In any case they're really similar.)

Last edited:
Yes. The question is what it shows now for rated range at 100%. I simply applied a 5% reduction for one year of use; the actual value may be better depending on your use case. As I said, the LFPs may not degrade at the same rate, and I'm only estimating, and I don't know what will actually happen. But I do know that at some point it will be a bit less than 60.5kWh. They didn't make the warranty threshold 20% rather than 30%, so it seems Tesla believes the capacity loss characteristics will be similar to NCA. But again, I don't know.

They did not retest after the reduction, and instead simply removed the voluntary reduction of range (which as you can see was 330 miles prior to the reduction (to either 310 or 325)). You can also see the voluntary reduction math on the EV page here (it got 345 miles city, and 312 highway, for a range of 330 miles): 2018 Datafile

I'm not even sure how many 2020 LR RWD vehicles were sold. I didn't think they were making them anymore at that point but maybe I misremember. Or it might have been a one-off small production run based on an Elon Tweet or whatever.

So it gets a few % better efficiency than these numbers state, assuming Tesla was not lying when they rolled out at least two software updates to "improve efficiency" (in 2019). (It's probably a tiny bit better than the LFP, but I'm not sure about that - and not sure why it would be but there is definitely a hint that the LFPs are a tiny bit less efficient (in the best case scenarios) than the RWD if you look at raw test data. I'm not going to split hairs on that or dig into it though - I'm not sure about why the energy transfer from battery to wheels would be any worse. In any case they're really similar.)
Thanks. My M3 has about 3.5% range loss at ~30K miles.

If the M3 2023 LFP has 60.5 kwh vs 78kwh for the 2018. We'd expect the 2023 to have a combined range of ~351 miles with a 78kwh HVB so it seems to be slightly more efficient than the 2018 M3 RWD.

We'd expect the 2023 to have a combined range of ~351 miles with a 78kwh HVB so it seems to be slightly more efficient than the 2018 M3 RWD
Yes, it probably would end up with that rating if they retested it (with a new battery of course). They would have the heat pump, etc, too, which would expand the scalar that they use. (Rather than 0.7 they would use closer to 0.75.)

I've seen 75kWh and 78kWh. Where there a difference in 2018? I'm hoping to find a sticker somewhere on the battery pack to verify battery size so to determine degradation using this method.

Just ordered a new m3 lr rwd here in the uk, from inventory. Cant wait to see the range. Holding back delivery until 10th Aug, love the RWD feel and the extra range of the lr battery.
Congratulations. Let us know how you like it. Wonder why they are only in UK and not US. I would have held out if they were available here.

I've seen 75kWh and 78kWh. Where there a difference in 2018?
I think there's confusion between usable and pack capacity. Usable is about 74.5kWh, while pack capacity is 78kWh.

It was 77.8kWh per SMT reads of "Full Pack When New". No difference in 2018 vs. 2019. Nothing was ever retested AFAIK, so it was always the same fundamental efficiency from 2017 to 2020.

Test in mid-2017 got 78.3kWh out of it (within 1kWh of result from other AWD/Performance packs - not surprising since fundamentally it is the same pack!).

Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 4.09.44 PM.png

If the M3 2023 LFP has 60.5 kwh vs 78kwh for the 2018. We'd expect the 2023 to have a combined range of ~351 miles with a 78kwh HVB so it seems to be slightly more efficient than the 2018 M3 RWD.
From above, if they retested a new LR RWD (which they don't make of course), with a ~81kWh battery (newer 2170L cell type, NCA, not LFP), and used a heat pump, I'd expect (conservatively) they'd get something like:

334rmi*1.03*81/79*0.74/0.7 = 373 rmi. And I think it could easily be over 380. Step aside, Cybertruck.

Where 1.03 accounts for software updates to efficiency in 2019 (might be conservative), enhancing 2017 results, 81/79 is the battery cell scaling, and 0.74/0.7 is the derating factor scaling (which is affected by 5-cycle results which gets larger if manufacturers wish, and is worthwhile in heat-pump-equipped vehicles), the 0.74 (actually might be 0.75) is close to what they are using now.

But anyway only the 1.03 applies to a used vehicle of course. So before capacity loss, it would be rated at around 334rmi*1.03 = 344rmi.

But for highway travel honestly these ratings are a bit misleading since that is strongly influenced by aero. So you just want as much pack as possible (which also maxes out Supercharger speeds at 250kW). And expect just a bit over 200 miles per charge at freeway speeds.

Last edited: