Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range Suspension is too hard!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back from 700 mile round trip in our new Model Y - now with 955 miles! We're in our 60s and are in great shape, but we'll only use the Y for local sorties and trips shorter than 100 miles on known to be newer-surfaced highways. Suspension is too stiff, seat cushions are too hard and FSD can't smoothly negotiate curves (can't properly pick an arc and stick with it - steers like a teenager).

Just got back from 700 mile round trip in our new Model Y - now with 955 miles! We're in our 60s and are in great shape, but we'll only use the Y for local sorties and trips shorter than 100 miles on known to be newer-surfaced highways. Suspension is too stiff, seat cushions are too hard and FSD can't smoothly negotiate curves (can't properly pick an arc and stick with it - steers like a teenager).
wheel-tire too big change to 19", for FSD you got to use it, for a while, I was like that at first also, scared me, now I know it drives better than me, 95% of the the time, the other 5% is why you keep one hand on the wheel. I have a 2017 MS75 bought new, can't drive on the highway without FSD.

Reactions: Kevin66 and X-pilot
Lol, go drive a sports car. The Model 3 (18") / Model Y (19") are like clouds over most roadways.

If you are buying Tesla for performance reason(LR or Performance model), I can't agree more! We had Porsche 911S for 3 years and talking about rough day to day drive! Sure, it's super fun to drive on an open freeway with the tight handling and acceleration from 60-90mph, but absolutely a nightmare for day to dar drive. Ride was so rough with the 20" performance tires that you can feel every dip/bump on the road. The car was so low that it had hard times getting in/out of parking lots or driveways. And let's not even talk about engine noise.

But if you are buying it as a traditional mid-size SUV, yes, the ride is defiantly rougher than others. I test drive Porsche Macan Turbo and found the ride smoother and definitely slower than MYP and costs ~$95k.

Reactions: Snow Drift
This. Try lowering the tire air pressure in your tires first.

The AWD MY goes 0-60 in 4.8s stock. It's a high performance vehicle and it's suspension is designed as such. I've taken some fast, hard corners and it's like a go-cart! It's not for everyone, but it puts a smile on my face. :)

Check your tire pressure, my understanding is lowering to 38psi helps with ride quality.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Agree on FSD.

What wheel-tire set are you running? I've heard the 21's are especially hard.
The LR Y option that I liked the look of is the 20" Induction wheels. But, they're probably a part of the hard ride problem due to the reduced sidewall - that and the crappy Goodyear tires, in general. As soon as these tires are worn out enough to justify tossing them, I'll replace with whatever more forgiving tire that's available.

We have a sport touring luxury ICE car that's still fun enough to drive plus very roomy and comfortable. Thanks to everyone who offered help - I've asked the Coil-over Suspension folks for instructions so I can self-install. I needed a good winter project anyways...

The LR Y option that I liked the look of is the 20" Induction wheels. But, they're probably a part of the hard ride problem due to the reduced sidewall - that and the crappy Goodyear tires, in general. As soon as these tires are worn out enough to justify tossing them, I'll replace with whatever more forgiving tire that's available.

We have a sport touring luxury ICE car that's still fun enough to drive plus very roomy and comfortable. Thanks to everyone who offered help - I've asked the Coil-over Suspension folks for instructions so I can self-install. I needed a good winter project anyways...

I have the 19" wheels and I reduced the pressure to 38 psi. It improved the ride a little, but I still find it too harsh.

The LR Y option that I liked the look of is the 20" Induction wheels. But, they're probably a part of the hard ride problem due to the reduced sidewall - that and the crappy Goodyear tires, in general. As soon as these tires are worn out enough to justify tossing them, I'll replace them with whatever more forgiving tire that's available.

I have the performance with 21" So I can definitely relate to the stiffness, hehe
I opted to get the Y19"s off an eBay and after I test them I will probably get the unplugged performance suspension upgrade.