Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range vs. Long Range Plus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone please explain the difference between 2020 Long Range and Long Range Plus beside the range increase from 328 to 351? I also recall Elon saying back in February this year that all long range produced a few months prior to the announcement were going to get a range boost via software update. If that's the case does a long range with the latest software have the same range as a standard plus?

Anyone with a 2020 Long Range?

Thanks

• Love
Reactions: rafa2020
Long Range Plus has “F” battery while long range has “E” battery. If you have the “F” battery before the Long Range Plus tittle was released a software update would’ve taken care of the new range display. Among other minor things were added to long range plus to achieve the better range.

If you check the front wheel well where the battery is you’ll see a sticker stating the battery. Mine is “E” as it’s a July 2019 P100D. Also performance variants did not get the range upgrade which states it goes beyond the battery chemistry for the new stated range.

I have a march 2020 eu model S and a have a F type battery . However at 84% charge the range shown is 479 kms.If i extrapolate that to 100% it will be around 570kms. However the advertised value is 610kms in EU. I have not yet charged the battery to 100% as I am not riding much at the moment because of coronavirus regulations.

Does extrapolation of charge work or the real value can only be known by charging the battery to 100%

When my LR+ was delivered, the 100% indicated range was ~290 miles instead of 351 miles. After an update it read 352 miles.

Another improvement was an inductive cellphone charger, but meh. It uses up one of your 2 available front USBs. You have to immediately buy a 12v cigar lighter USB charger when you get your MX.

Long Range Plus has “F” battery while long range has “E” battery. If you have the “F” battery before the Long Range Plus tittle was released a software update would’ve taken care of the new range display. Among other minor things were added to long range plus to achieve the better range.

If you check the front wheel well where the battery is you’ll see a sticker stating the battery. Mine is “E” as it’s a July 2019 P100D. Also performance variants did not get the range upgrade which states it goes beyond the battery chemistry for the new stated range.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered a late Jan 2020 built LR from inventory (likely showroom unit) and hope it has "F" batteries, likely given how close the production date is to Elon's LR+ announcement. Will report when I find out.

Reactions: Hebert and E Dizzle
Thanks for the info. I just ordered a late Jan 2020 built LR from inventory (likely showroom unit) and hope it has "F" batteries, likely given how close the production date is to Elon's LR+ announcement. Will report when I find out.
Took delivery on Friday and have been loving it! It's Late Jan-2020 build LR surprisingly loaded with "E" Batteries. Was hoping for "F" type but no complain here!

Reactions: wreighven
Why would a late January 2020 have an E battery?
Unless I'm reading the sticker under the front passenger wheel well incorrectly, it could be that the order was made well before they started producing car with F type Batteries and it wasn't altered despite the fact that vehicles made around that same time were already getting fitted with F-Type.....Just speculating here. Which may explain why It ended up in inventory maybe because the original would be owner cancelled in favor of LR+ or some other reasons.The number on the sticker ends with "-00-E"

Did you at least get the $5k discount? or did you want the free unlimited supercharging? Which could equal the same if you charge a lot. Others got discount & free supercharging ordered at the right time.
I sure did and even more. Under 50 miles (NEW inventory ), FSCU, Global $5k price markdown, $5,600 Discount on Current inventory, $2k transportation fee waived......Couldn't be happier with what I got. So it was no brainer for me to hand over $7k for FSD and I'm perfectly fine with the ~328 miles range vs the alternative without all those breaks.

I sure did and even more. Under 50 miles (NEW inventory ), FSCU, Global $5k price markdown, $5,600 Discount on Current inventory, $2k transportation fee waived......Couldn't be happier with what I got. So it was no brainer for me to hand over $7k for FSD and I'm perfectly fine with the ~328 miles range vs the alternative without all those breaks.
Wow congrats! Glad Tesla is sweetening the deal to move LR inventory. Good call with FSD since it’s going up $1k in 2 weeks.

I have a march 2020 eu model S and a have a F type battery . However at 84% charge the range shown is 479 kms.If i extrapolate that to 100% it will be around 570kms. However the advertised value is 610kms in EU. I have not yet charged the battery to 100% as I am not riding much at the moment because of coronavirus regulations.

Does extrapolation of charge work or the real value can only be known by charging the battery to 100%
My extrapolation at 80% works out exactly to what my 100% charge is.

You got a great deal on a great vehicle. Congrats!

Reactions: rf@tpa237
Does your vehicle still say Long range or long range plus under the software tab? I heard after a software update in march 2020, long range vehicles are also showing as long range plus under the software tab in the settings.

I've had a hard time finding a comparison for the 2020 Long Range Plus and 2020 (2019) Long Range. EVspecifications only has the 2021 Long Range Plus vs the 2020 Long Range, and I believe the 2021 LR Plus is different in that it has a different motor. I came across at November 2019 build (so 2020 model year) Long Range Plus and wanted to compare it to the Long Range specs.

When my LR+ was delivered, the 100% indicated range was ~290 miles instead of 351 miles. After an update it read 352 miles.

Another improvement was an inductive cellphone charger, but meh. It uses up one of your 2 available front USBs. You have to immediately buy a 12v cigar lighter USB charger when you get your MX.
so it sounds like you don't see the wisdom of paying more for the plus???

Reactions: oldsport