Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long range vs long range +

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes i agree it was existing stock, but the build date was still a month after mine. you would think that they put newer batteries in all cars after a certain build date...
No, I kinda had the feeling that my car was a 'feeler' to see how many would spend the $4,999 to order a larger range
Like most of the Tesla gimmicks on Ludacris, Raven, and plaid - etcetera

I will say that I was a bit hesitant to pay the $7,000 for the FSD especially since it is non transferable to my next car or even the next owner.
What did sway me was a chance to secure the 'free' Supercharging, Our last car had lifetime 'free' Supercharging to me as long as I owned THAT car
I did missed out on the lifetime connectivity package

Last edited:
The build date on the door sticker as well as the big window sticker says 1/20 so I believe that means January 2020
I haven't been able to find any other build date info.
good....you should be able to go back to Tesla and ask them the "DAY" it was built......if I am not mistaken, all mfg in Jan 2020 had "F" batteries and would have been able to add FSD and other goodies....more importantly, if you did not pay for it, you will not be able to upgrade or get the mileage update to 391....

My 2020 Long Range has a manufacture date of 12/19 on the door jamb, and I do have the E-series batteries so I guess I'm out of luck for the LR+ Upgrade... Oh well, I'm very happy with the car so far, and just added FSD to it his past week (which I do enjoy!). I like the wheels on my car better than the new ones. Mine was a demo unit w/700 miles, and I got around $6k knocked off the price (so $78.5k total before I added the FSD). I'm loving it so far!

I will say that I was a bit hesitant to pay the $7,000 for the FSD especially since it is non transferable to my next car or even the next owner.
[emphasis added]

SIDEBAR: Wait, what?? Are you saying that if I sell my car tomorrow, the new owner won't have the FSD that I just paid $7K for...?

Show your math--I don't see how that can be....

Or are you referring to selling it to Tesla, then they turn around and sell it with FSD removed? That would be double-dipping, no doubt--but is a different kettle of fish than it simply not transferring in a private sale....

[emphasis added]

SIDEBAR: Wait, what?? Are you saying that if I sell my car tomorrow, the new owner won't have the FSD that I just paid $7K for...?

Show your math--I don't see how that can be....

Or are you referring to selling it to Tesla, then they turn around and sell it with FSD removed? That would be double-dipping, no doubt--but is a different kettle of fish than it simply not transferring in a private sale....
I was basing this on a reddit post, it may not have merit?
Will Tesla allow the FSD software license move to another vehicle? : teslamotors
Then again on:
FSD should be transferable | Tesla

That all appears to be a bunch of wishful thinking by consumers. The stance of the company appears to be (I'm no insider, by any means, so that's "IMO") that it's considered a part of the car once added. I've seen posts where they've "taken it away" when they owned the car (as in, it was traded in & they later resold it)--that seems legit (though petty), it's no different than removing the floor mats & selling a used car without them. I've also seen posts where folks are saying it got taken away later (i.e., well after the sale). THAT is BS, and I hope if there's any merit to those stories that enough publicity gets made to force the company to do the right thing.

As I said earlier, though: I've not heard of the FSD not transferring with the car to a new owner....

That all appears to be a bunch of wishful thinking by consumers. The stance of the company appears to be (I'm no insider, by any means, so that's "IMO") that it's considered a part of the car once added. I've seen posts where they've "taken it away" when they owned the car (as in, it was traded in & they later resold it)--that seems legit (though petty), it's no different than removing the floor mats & selling a used car without them. I've also seen posts where folks are saying it got taken away later (i.e., well after the sale). THAT is BS, and I hope if there's any merit to those stories that enough publicity gets made to force the company to do the right thing.

As I said earlier, though: I've not heard of the FSD not transferring with the car to a new owner....
I agree, although I can see here Tesla might want to charge for a Upgrade to what you originally purchased
"The latest greatest"

Harley-Davidson dealers have been doing this for years. They will take in a trade in bike with lots of upgrades. They tell the seller that they will get nothing additional for those upgrades, because most all bikes have them.

Then they will strip off all the expensive goodies and sell them on eBay. Resell the stripped bike to the next customer, and then sell him lots of chrome and leather upgrades to complete the cycle.

Reactions: BozieBeMe2

Except for a very few well publicized cases, once FSD is purchased it remains a fixed part of that vehicle. Only exception would be a car bought back by Tesla could be stripped of upgrades and resold.... probably at auction. With something as major as fsd, to do otherwise would be totally corrupt.

As a general rule, private sales owner to owner have least reason for specs to change. Cars through Tesla, auction or trade, always make certain in writing -ideally direct with Tesla - what the exact transferable spec will be.

Reactions: Jughead135