Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range... Well not really

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

As the title suggests I'm not getting anywhere near the claimed range for the car. I charged to 90% on Sunday which gave me "278 miles" which you can see on my attached photo I'm going to get half of that, never mind the claimed 348 miles on a full charge.

Is this range normal, what is everyone else getting with a 90% charge?

Asides from this the car has been amazing!

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200317_173437.jpg
    IMG_20200317_173437.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 119
Depends on weather, speed, elevation, HVAC; bunch of factors. I think there is a psychological adjustment needed when moving to an EV. I have only done 700 miles so far, but never had to stop at a supercharger or any other charger. Just plugged in at home. If I was doing a 200+ round trip every day I might be bothered by the range but I don’t, the charge has been enough to get me through the day. On a long trip I’ll just break for a loo stop or a coffee and charger for a bit.

Well the cold, wet weather isn't helping much so we won't get that figure at this time of year. You will need to get your 351 Wh/mile down to about 250 if you are to get near the quoted range. I'm not even two weeks in yet but I have discovered that the aircon takes quite a chunk of power and turning it off will help significantly.

Hi,

As the title suggests I'm not getting anywhere near the claimed range for the car. I charged to 90% on Sunday which gave me "278 miles" which you can see on my attached photo I'm going to get half of that, never mind the claimed 348 miles on a full charge.

Thanks
Also having Sentry Mode on when you’re away from the car will drain the battery.
Most people recommend changing the miles to battery %, I’ve only just done this and not used to it yet.

My MX in the deepest depths of winter in Scotland was returning around 450w/mile with heating, wipers, lights etc. Yesterday on a longish run in warmer sunny weather without heating it was around 350w/mile. To get my quoted range of 327 miles I need it to be nearer 300w/mile. So range really does depend on weather and it will only get better from now on in.

Reactions: i3m3Andrew
Depends!

Since getting the car on the 18th December I am averaging 312 wh/mile, so on a full charge 230 miles. But this is the worst time of the year, I commute on Scottish motorways or fast A roads, I only condition one way and don’t really hang about. With the temps improving the consumption is falling, so a dry 7 degrees today saw a consumption rate which would give me 265 miles of real world range.

Wow! That would be concerning me also.
Anything you have been doing like having heated seats on all the time with heating/ac?

I’m picking up a SR+ on Thursday and I was hoping to get at least 150 miles from 90% to 10% but looks like I’d get no way near that if that’s what you have got from the LR.

Anyone with an SR+ want to chime in with what range they are getting currently?

I'm not driving with a lead foot, I do motorway journeys mostly.

I knew I wouldn't get the claimed range as you never do but getting less than half is very concerning to be honest.

I drive with the climate on to keep the temperature consistent which I'm surprised is an issue as it's not really a 'luxury' these days.

I'll have a go with no sentry mode on at all for the next couple of days and see where I end up but just wanted to see what range others were getting with a 90% charge.

heated seats on all the time

Heated seats on all the time is the right thing to do, as they use vastly less power than running the main heating. Seat heaters on and main heat turned down a degree or two gives same level of comfort with less energy consumption.

I do motorway journeys mostly.

How many "journeys" in that 122 miles? Note that there's a significant "departure tax" in cold weather, so one long journey will get you much better consumption figures than the same distance done in small chunks with the car allowed to cool down inbetween.

Have had my M3P (with 20s) for almost 6 months covering 7k miles on mainly motorways and A roads. I’m averaging 344 wh/mi. As others have said, weather (cold and rain) will greatly impact range, as will speed. This is the same for all types of cars. The OP doesn’t mention their average speed during the journey, though it’s clear from the photo it’s been raining. My experience shows speeds over 70mph greatly reduce range; I will cruise at 65mph on the rare occasions I feel like conserving energy on motorways. Also using the heater does eat it away too; mine is set to Auto 20c which I find comfortable. Do change your range from miles to % though … you’ll fixate on it less!

SR+. Mid December to now averaged 315 watts per mile. Nearly all short journeys and half a dozen over 25 miles. Today a short journey, 15°C showed 75 (downhill) same journey previously 250+. Obviously hills and temp have big effect. Leaving hospital car park for 400 yds showed -7 watts per mile.(downhill). Expecting improvements as days become warmer.

I find I get about 180 miles out of my LR. Heating is at 18.5C, but it’s short journeys (7 miles or so to the station) and I struggle to resist hammering the throttle when I hit the 60 zone on the way home. Autopilot also seems to use a lot of juice.

Anything you have been doing like having heated seats on all the time with heating/ac?

I’m picking up a SR+ on Thursday and I was hoping to get at least 150 miles from 90% to 10% but looks like I’d get no way near that if that’s what you have got from the LR.

I went for a run in my sr+ at the weekend, charged to 90 %, I turned off ac but left heat on and set to 21’c, 2 adults and 2 grown kids in the car, sat at 70 mph most of the time, I did 155 miles and it showed 30 miles left, I think it averaged 260 wh/mile, I was happy with that compared to my old 24kwh leaf.

Reactions: Rustybkts

That's achievable, science November and 8k miles I've averaged just under 250 wh/mi, do a fair bit of mileage for work so fairly steady, but do have fairly regular blasts of the throttle, noticed an improvement in mileage the last couple of weeks warmer weather.
Quite often can achieve 2miles per %, or just slightly under.
The other week my charger tripped so was driving v.carful to save stopping and got over 2miles per % over about 110ish miles.

Don't like cabin too hot usually 18.5-20 degrees and mostly only me in the car.
SR+

I have done 10k miles since getting my LR AWD in November. The most efficient drive I have achieved so far was 187 miles, starting at 94% and ending at 17%, which is an average of 281wh/mile. Average temp 10.2 outside. I have tried turning off the heater at but I'd rather have to charge sooner than be cold and have condensation on the windows! There is a clear correlation between efficiency and the outside temperature, looking forward to doing some longer trips in summer to see the difference! Teslafi is great for tracking your efficiency by the way, if you don't have it and want a month trial my referral code is Joelf

You will never get close to the book range across a series of short journeys in winter.
The only time you might do it is on a single journey at moderate speed. Winter makes less difference on long journeys but still some. You will not manage it on a motorway at 70+

Hi,

Thanks
You will get the full range in the summer when temps are moderate. Yes, really. (Ff you keep your speed down to 60mi/h, and avoid too much "fun")