Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Road trip with Y or ICE????

12+ Hour Road trip with 4 people. Which vehicle to take?

• Tesla Model Y

Votes: 91 82.7%
  • Audi Q7

Votes: 19 17.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Trying to decide ..

I have a 12 plus hour drive from south florida to North Carolina with the family (4 people total).

Trying to decide on Y or use our ICE Q7.....

It’s a performance Y so a little rougher ride... i think we should have enough room for everyone and stuff between trunk and drunk...

My concern is the ride roughness and older kids 16 & 19 sitting in the rear seats for such a long trip...

Pros are should be a cool ride... Autopilot/FSD and the experience....
We have a charge outlet at the house in NC so no problem keeping it charged there...

Thoughts???

87A32190-BDEA-4459-9466-DC22FC986AB9.jpeg
Details in screenshot. 2.5 hours of charging

One thing to make sure of first, does it charge on a supercharger? A couple of members have reported issues where they could charge at home on AC but when they went to a supercharger, it did not work, some issue with their charge port. So if relying on Supercharging for your trip, would be good to know that this works in advance. You do not need to do a full change, just connect up and make sure that it can charge that way.

One thing to make sure of first, does it charge on a supercharger? A couple of members have reported issues where they could charge at home on AC but when they went to a supercharger, it did not work, some issue with their charge port. So if relying on Supercharging for your trip, would be good to know that this works in advance. You do not need to do a full change, just connect up and make sure that it can charge that way.
I actually did this after we picked up our Y. Didn't need to just wanted to verify it would work.

I'm leaving from the Tampa area for Pennsylvania on Saturday with an overnight stay in NC so we're going to see how this trip goes. If it's trouble free the wife may be more inclined to convert our other car into another Tesla.

I’m new here so forgive me if I’m uninformed but on a 2020 Tesla? Supercharging doesn’t work? Is this for real?
By default all Teslas should be able to use superchargers.

But it has been reported here by others that SC was not working for them. Something to do with the charge port. Do not know if bad wiring inside or a defective charge port itself. I still have not verified that mine works on a SC either, but I plan to do so soon, next time I am headed in that general vicinity. With CV-19 and working from home, not driving enough to worry about charging, I have all the time in the world to charge at home on 120V 15A

By default all Teslas should be able to use superchargers.

But it has been reported here by others that SC was not working for them. Something to do with the charge port. Do not know if bad wiring inside or a defective charge port itself. I still have not verified that mine works on a SC either, but I plan to do so soon, next time I am headed in that general vicinity. With CV-19 and working from home, not driving enough to worry about charging, I have all the time in the world to charge at home on 120V 15A

Yep, this happened to me while I was on my way back from our 2300 miles road trip a month ago. I was getting the "Equipment at Fault" message trying to charge at the Elko Nevada Supercharger while other cars were able to charge at every other stalls around me. Thankfully AC charging still worked so I used level 2 charging (6+ hours each charge instead of 30 mins with supercharging) and got back home.

Took the Y to the SC and then they tested out my charge port, said it was fine and that it's a grounding issue with some superchargers (don't know if that's true or BS). The tech said the Y was trying to protect itself and I need to log it if it happens again so they can see what's going on (hold down the car icon for 10 seconds).

@DDrawer's Y didn't supercharge when he went to test it out and then his AC gave out. You can see it from his thread here-

Call support 24/7?

So yeah, I agree, you should test out your supercharging first before going on a long road trip.

looking at that sample routing, I find it interesting. mostly short stops very 1-1/2 hours or so. A little more frequent maybe, but pretty much what I'd be doing for pee and fuel stops anyway.

I'm reminded of an Air Force flight physiology course I took years ago. One side track point the instructor made when talking about how the body reacts to sitting for long periods of time.... he talked about how on road trips he'd stop every hour on the hour and just do a lap around the car.... a few jumping jacks, whatever. Said the trip will seem shorter overall, and you'll feel more refreshed in the end when compared to the dog tired feeling at the end of a marathon trip.
Every hour has always seemed a little excessive to me, but have proven to myself many times over the years that there is wisdom in what that instructor was saying. I've always felt 1.5 hour intervals is a pretty good pace for me.

And it goes without saying, but if you do not have any SC credits then make sure that your Tesla account is linked to a valid credit card that is not maxxed out, or you will not be doing any SC. Should be a no brainer and obvious thing, but I'm sure it has happened to somebody before, expired card maybe... A couple of months ago while at the gas station there was a guy looking for $5 so he could get home. Said that he forgot his phone and wallet at home, no cash or credit card with him, and he was driving on fumes. Ever since then I've keep some money in my car, for those just in case moments, but cash is useless at a SC.

A couple of months ago while at the gas station there was a guy looking for $5 so he could get home. Said that he forgot his phone and wallet at home, no cash or credit card with him, and he was driving on fumes.

A few years ago, I saw a guy hanging out at the gas station by my hotel looking for $5 for gas. Every day. For a week.

I really hope he made it home to his wife and kids.

View attachment 567745 Details in screenshot. 2.5 hours of charging
If interested, you should be able to cut the stops ~in half, albeit they will be a bit longer. I just did a day-trip covering 870 miles with only three charging stops (~3 hrs driving, 45 mins charging, repeat, repeat...). Just enough time for a potty break, stretch and a bite/coffee. Also possible, as ABR shows, to stop more frequently but for shorter durations if preferred. Either way, take the Tesla and enjoy the drive. Good luck.

Tesla all the way!! I did a couple of 2000 plus mile trips in my M3 last year and will do another in my MY early Sep - I can't wait. Charging forces you to take breaks every so often which is great for me - I'm a long time runner and sitting too long kills my hamstrings, though in the past I just may tough it out and press on. Tesla gives me the excuse to chillax a bit... :)
One other thought - if you can work it into your schedule have a longer stop at lunch time and take a longer break. Your app will tell you when you're getting close to completing charging so you won't be one of those jerks that just leaves their car at the charger and hangs out in the Mall for hours. So on that note if you have a choice avoid malls, though that may not be such a thing this year...

Wow this thread took at turn quick.

Either you save a good amount of money in gas costs, add some time to the trip and the Model Y proves itself to you and the fam or you take the Q7.

I’d say you ask the family and let them decide.

I see you used ABRP, make sure you add in the extra weight if you didn’t. It’s going to be a packed vehicle so range will be effected.

• Disagree
Reactions: cstork