TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Long Road Trips. My Experience and Why Tesla's are Currently Unfit.

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by mduflos, Dec 29, 2019.

?

Did you take long road trips with your Tesla? How did it go?

1. Well

96.5%
  2. Not well

3.5%
  1. mduflos

mduflos Member

My family went on a ski trip this week to Utah. This trip had been planned for months and I seriously considered renting an ICE car for it. Then I reconsidered. After all, Tesla's supercharging network means that I can take long road trips. I studied the superchargers map on Tesla's website and confirmed that there were more than enough superchargers along my 531 miles journey from Denver to SLC. I decided to try it and drive the Model 3 with my wife, two young children, and luggage. I got winter tires (Pirelli Sottozero's), packed the car, and hit the road on a full charge. After driving nonstop for 2 hours, my range had decreased more than anticipated so I decided to make an unplanned stop in Laramie, WY to supercharge. The supercharging station was in a hotel parking and snow covered. I backed into a spot and hit the curb. I knew right away it was bad. I got off the car and noticed a scratch on the rim (not the first time it happened!). More concerning however was that the hit had damaged the tire's side wall. Before venturing on I-80, I decided to have it checked. I drove to a nearby tire shop (the only one in town) and the technician confirmed what I feared: The impact had exposed the radial cords and the tire was an explosion hazard. Being in Truck Country, the tire shop didn't have that tire size, less so in the winter variation. I became anxious but I knew my Model's 3 lack of a spare meant Tesla's mobile roadside assistance would come to my rescue. Little did I know... Yes, they could come but it would take 5 hours, cost me $900, and they only had an all-season tire. I became very worried. It was Saturday 3 pm, the little town was shutting down, there was no car rental agency or airport nearby. My Tesla had stranded me and ruined my vacation, my wife was in tears and my kids in fear. I did what I never thought I would do, I abandoned my cherished Tesla in a parking lot of a small rural town. I found an alternative transportation to SLC and began a search for that tire the next Monday. Wal-Mart and Costco couldn't get it and the only place I found it was on tirerack.com. I ordered it and had it delivered to the tire shop. A week later, I made it back to Laramie, had the tire installed and made it back home. One thing changed though, I don't trust my Model 3 or Tesla anymore and I know that, as a Tesla owner, if anything goes wrong, I'm on my own. Tesla's are incredible cars and have revolutionize my world. However, and until Tesla gets serious about customer service, I will limit my trips to in-town commutes and errands. I will rent (or buy) an ICE car for long road trips.

• Disagree x 31
    • Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
  2. KetchupKilla

KetchupKilla Member

Ok.

• Like x 15
  3. Inframan

Inframan Member

Just think if you shredded the tire of your rental ICE. That’s a headache and a half.

Same as any other car, really. You were in a small town and couldn’t get service for your non-truck tire.
    I don’t see this as a Tesla issue at all.

• Like x 17
  4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Sorry you had all those problems but tire replacement is a known issue.

This all started when you backed into something while lining up for the supercharger. Serious question, how exactly did that happen?

If you are in front of one and you use the backup camera, my experience is it’s difficult to have a problem if you guide on the ‘parking’ signs. Weren’t they there or where they usually are? Love details on what led you astray when trying to get lined up here.

Usually there is nothing that will kill a tire at most superchargers. Especially if empty. Snow or no snow.

• Like x 3
  5. PostalM3

PostalM3 Member

So, how did you back into a curb so badly it killed your tire? Especially if there was snow/ice covering the lot, wouldn't that make it even less damage prone? And didn't the wheel protect the tire??? As we all know, the wheel hits the curb first, then the tire.

• Like x 4
  6. trace

trace Member

Sorry this happened to you. I'd suggest carrying a shovel in the trunk.

• Like x 4
  7. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Would have been a problem on any car that wasn't carrying a full size snow tire spare. I don't know anyone that routinely carries a spare snow tire on their typical non-commerical business. Most will have a donut, a few may have a full size all season. Not seeing how this one is the car's fault.

• Like x 4
  8. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

I do not believe the OP. First post of new member describing highly implausible sequence of events.

• Like x 9
    • Disagree x 2
  9. PostalM3

PostalM3 Member

sounds like a short, just getting back from their ski vacation and realizing they're broke

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  10. TLLMRRJ

TLLMRRJ Active Member

Just get a spare and throw it in your trunk for road trips. That's what a lot of cars have to do now. I bought a 2020 Mercedes GLC300 SUV this year, and it didn't come with a spare. It did have runflats, but that won't save you from sidewall damage. So I ordered a spare from another car and a jack that fits the car. Tesla doesn't have their own fleet of response vehicles waiting for you to have a breakdown, so if you had broken down in any other car, it's likely you would have the same wait because they are all using local response vehicles. So your beef is really with that industry.

• Like x 1
  11. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

I’m assuming this was for a replacement tire and wheel? I’ve taken a few 300 mile trips and fortunately haven’t had any issues so far. Sucks you had all these issues but honestly I don’t think it would’ve mattered if you had an ICE vehicle or a different EV. Most vehicles nowadays, unfortunately, don’t come with spares and that’s the bigger issue. A spare would’ve obviously taken care of your situation.

• Like x 1
  12. 1.21GW

1.21GW Member

Hmm...

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  13. drj3

drj3 Member

This would have been a problem for any vehicle with performance sized tires. Rural small town tire shops just don't carry them. Roadside assistance from Ford, Chevy, BMW or any other manufacturer would have been no different except maybe only 1-3 hours for roadside assistance. Speaking as someone who has experienced a 2 hour tow into Las Vegas in an ICE vehicle after a 3 hour wait in the Nevada desert for the tow to get there then 3 days to get it fixed - roadside assistance takes time in rural areas. The truth is no matter who makes your car if you break down in the middle of nowhere - you are pretty much on your own. The great thing is that the people who live in these areas are generally pretty friendly and willing to help out the best they can.

• Like x 6
    • Helpful x 2
  14. mduflos

mduflos Member

Every ICE car I've owned prior to my Tesla had a spare.

• Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  15. mduflos

mduflos Member

The area was snow-covered so curbs didn't stand out visually or to sensors. It was my fault but I thought Tesla would be able to swap that wheel for me.

• Informative x 1
  16. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Did you switch it to a spare snow tire in the winter?

17. mduflos

mduflos Member

Apparently the 235/45 R18 tire size is very uncommon and could not be sourced anywhere around where I was.

18. Steve m

Steve m Member

My 1992 subaru 4wd station wagon had a toy spare. I went to a junk yard and bought a full size wheel put a tire on it and amazingly it fit where the toy sat.

What stops the op from buying another wheel and tire and tossing it in the trunk. Mounting it to the back bumper etc.

19. mduflos

mduflos Member

I assure you I'm not making this stuff up (I couldn't). I've been reading the forum for a while but decided to sign-up today to share my experience.

20. PostalM3

PostalM3 Member

Couple years from now...could be the most common tire ;-)

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1