Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long songs and short drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
Maybe this is unique to me but the latest firmware update fixed the problem where playback would stop with about 25% of the song was left to play - often this was about 45 seconds left in the song.

But the "fix" seems to involve restarting the song whenever you start your car.

The only issue with this is that if you have a long song playing and you are taking a lot of short trips that you are living Groundhog Day until you press the skip forward button. My current song is the 9 minute long Key to the Highway by Clapton. My drive to the train station each day is about six minutes. The problem is even worse for the 2112 Overture/The Temples of Syrinx that is over 20 minutes. But it is kind of sacrilegious to nuke songs of this calibre and if you skip you never get to hear the end. So I guess I have to take the long way home. Thanks Elon.

All the gifts of live
Are held within our walls.

Tesla has always had problems with USB playback. Some owners would like to listen to USB audiobooks - and the inability of the media player to correctly remember the specific "song" and position has made that impossible.

While the latest 8.0 update appears to fix some of the problems - I'm still seeing it reset the position in the current song, lose the "random" setting, switch to another source, or even forget completely that the media player was even running.

The media player was implemented for the first production cars. At that time there wasn't any "sleep mode" - and the cars used about 10 miles of range per 24 hours while the car was parked. It took several firmware releases before Tesla was able to get sleep mode/energy management working well - and that broke the media player. It was possible to reduce the media player problems for a while by disabling sleep mode, but late in 6.x, Tesla decided to force all cars to enter sleep mode overnight.

If the media player was designed to assume the car was always on - and they've had to retrofit sleep mode into the media player, that would explain why it hasn't worked well when re-entering the car. Though it's surprising Tesla still hasn't been able to get this right.

We're considering a purchase of a 100D when it become available. Assuming there will be a price increase over the 90D, we could be looking at over $120K. For a $120K car, the quality and functionality of the media player and navigation software continues to be a major disappointment. In addition to the above problems, we still lack playlists or navigation waypoints/route customization and the satellite maps are frequently showing large blank squares.

Tesla owners have been surprisingly willing to accept the software quality and lower functionality (compared to other cars) - not sure Tesla can count on that, especially when they start selling the Model 3 and they are competing with the new Bolt.

Maybe this is unique to me but the latest firmware update fixed the problem where playback would stop with about 25% of the song was left to play - often this was about 45 seconds left in the song.

The only issue with this is that if you have a long song playing and you are taking a lot of short trips that you are living Groundhog Day until you press the skip forward button. My current song is the 9 minute long Key to the Highway by Clapton. My drive to the train station each day is about six minutes. The problem is even worse for the 2112 Overture/The Temples of Syrinx that is over 20 minutes. But it is kind of sacrilegious to nuke songs of this calibre and if you skip you never get to hear the end. So I guess I have to take the long way home. Thanks Elon.

All the gifts of live

I updated to build 2.44.130 last night and it fixed the problem with the song starting from the beginning. This morning the song playing when I parked the car started up in the same spot 90 minutes later when I started again.

I've experienced the same thing with Slacker. I quite like it because sometimes, it's a song I like and enjoy hearing it again. The solution to your problem is to drive around a little longer until the song completes. ;) I prefer to keep the "bug" but I probably won't get a choice in the matter if they are going to "fix" it.

All the gifts of live

It appears we got a terrible "cheesy" fix to the complaint of the system cutting off the last portion of songs on returning to the car. Now we get to hear the beginning a second time but at least get to eventually hear the full song. Not sure why they couldn't make it work like it did pre-8.0.

It appears we got a terrible "cheesy" fix to the complaint of the system cutting off the last portion of songs on returning to the car. Now we get to hear the beginning a second time but at least get to eventually hear the full song. Not sure why they couldn't make it work like it did pre-8.0.

Yeah, I agree it is an imperfect fix. I have had the same experience as the OP as I often make short local trips, and have heard the same song start numerous times. But I prefer having the song start over to having it stop before the end. One can always skip ahead to the next tune if you get tired of hearing the same (partial) song on repeated short trips.

It's not fixed in .130 either....
I was going by the below quote, but if it's not fixed there either, than that sucks.

Two steps forward, one step back. Typical Tesla motto.

I updated to build 2.44.130 last night and it fixed the problem with the song starting from the beginning. This morning the song playing when I parked the car started up in the same spot 90 minutes later when I started again.

I'm super excited that Tesla is so awesome that they have 8 cameras and a Drive PX 2 with neural networks that will drive the car. Then I get in my car and the music player does something insanely stupid. And I hope to myself that it's two different software teams.