Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long start up and no audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to startup my S this evening and had a couple things happen. First, had a notification on the driver’s screen that the car was powering up. I’ve never seen that before and it took a minute or so for it to disappear and the car to go. Once started, I had no audio at all: FM, streaming, even the notifications for turn signals and parking sensors.

I’m not aware of any software update overnight and the battery showed 80 miles of charge. Anyone seen this behavior before? Do I need to give an SA a call?

I went to startup my S this evening and had a couple things happen. First, had a notification on the driver’s screen that the car was powering up. I’ve never seen that before and it took a minute or so for it to disappear and the car to go. Once started, I had no audio at all: FM, streaming, even the notifications for turn signals and parking sensors.

I’m not aware of any software update overnight and the battery showed 80 miles of charge. Anyone seen this behavior before? Do I need to give an SA a call?

I suspect you attempted to use your vehicle after 10pm. There is an "energy saving" feature that is active between 10pm-5am, which puts the car in a "sleep" state. As far as I know, this cannot be disabled. This is the time period when "Energy Saving" is set to OFF.

I had the exact same behavior occur with my vehicle a couple of weeks ago. It happened twice, both under circumstances when I parked my vehicle before 10pm and attempted to use it after 10pm. None of my audio sources worked, as well as no sound for turn signals or distance sensors. I could "fix" it by rebooting both the center console (press and hold both scroll wheels) and the instrument panel (press and hold both buttons above the scroll wheels).

I reported this to my service center and they ended up replacing my entire MCU. I would suggest attempting to replicate the circumstances as I described and see if the problem recurs. If so, note the day/time and report it for your service center to examine the vehicle logs.

I suspect you attempted to use your vehicle after 10pm. There is an "energy saving" feature that is active between 10pm-5am, which puts the car in a "sleep" state. As far as I know, this cannot be disabled. This is the time period when "Energy Saving" is set to OFF.

I started the car around 5:15 and 7 pm, so the nightly energy saver shouldn’t have kicked in. Googled the mode and see similar comments, so I’m curious how it slipped into it. I’ll have to see what it does in the morning; give the reboots a shot of it’s still problematic.

Energy Saver doesn’t mean you can’t use the car. When it starts up, it will just take a little longer to start up and connect to the Internet, etc. All of this ‘things never work’ is definitely not normal, which is why I recommeneded a reboot.

I’d have the SC look at the logs. Energy Saver is to save energy for a car that isn’t plugged in, not to stop functions when it’s running. It’s not ‘Range Mode’.