Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long term being away, plugged or unplugged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

So…I will be out of the country for a good 6-10 months depending on the assignment situation. No one will have access to my garage to help charge or drive around when I’m away so I have few questions regarding my M3P

1: will the car will be drivable after I return without needing any sort of maintenance or oil change (like brake fluid) ?

2: should I keep the car plugged at home and occasionally remote charge it to 90% while sentry mode is off or just charge it to 95% and leave it unplugged and charge it back to 95% after I return (I expect the battery to be 0% when I return if this is the case).

Hi guys,

So…I will be out of the country for a good 6-10 months depending on the assignment situation. No one will have access to my garage to help charge or drive around when I’m away so I have few questions regarding my M3P

1: will the car will be drivable after I return without needing any sort of maintenance or oil change (like brake fluid) ?

2: should I keep the car plugged at home and occasionally remote charge it to 90% while sentry mode is off or just charge it to 95% and leave it unplugged and charge it back to 95% after I return (I expect the battery to be 0% when I return if this is the case).
Leave it plugged in, it will take care of itself..

Hi guys,

Leave it plugged in, and set it to 50%. Do NOT leave it unplugged for 6-10 months, the manual for the model 3 specifically says NOT to do that.

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 7.13.52 PM.png

Plug it in, set the charge level to 50 or 60%, and you'll be able to come home, jump in, and go for a ride.

If it were me, I'd consider a set of 4 Harbor Freight jack stands to get the tires off the ground. Not necessary, may not even make a difference, but it'd make me feel better knowing the springs and tires weren't under stress for a year.

If your car is a couple of years old, consider pro-actively replacing the 12V battery so it doesn't fail while you're gone. If it fails, charging may stop. That may not be a fatal problem; if the 12V system goes down due to a dead battery, essentially all vampire losses should disappear so there'll be nothing to drain the HV battery and it'll still be charged when you get home.

Otherwise, the only maintenance necessary before leaving or after returning is to set the proper air pressure in the tires.

Hi guys,

No, no, no. Leave it plugged in at 50% for long term storage.