Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Term Depreciation of the Plaid S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think the plaid Model S will follow the same route as a lot of exotic cars/super cars and rapidly depreciate, bottom out and then actually start appreciating? Or do you think it will mostly just be considered outdated tech in 10 years?

The MS Plaid will likely see notable depreciation in the coming years and decade as EV competition increases, production costs continue to come down, and technology continues to advance. Higher trim models also typically take bigger hits in depreciation. Longer term after that, it will depend on how the collector market may feel about the car.

MS Performance models that retailed for $140k to over $160k new (before tax credit) just four years ago are now often valued in the $50k to $60k wholesale/trade range.

Last edited:
Most higher end versions usually have greater depreciation than the base models.

Imagine that Plaid will depreciate more than a base Model S, but far less than other exotic/supercars.

Interesting that the original Tesla Coupe has begun to increase in value as a collector car. They have developed a enthusiast following.

That’s actually one of the main reasons I was curious as the original Roadster is rising in value. Right now I’m in the process of buying a 89 Ferrari Testarossa (was my childhood dream car) and the prices now are, in many cases, more expensive than when it was new and it’s only going up. Some collector groups expect it to be a million dollar car in 10-20 years.

The Plaid looks absolutely amazing, maybe I’ll consider it after the initial depreciation hit in 1-2 years. It’s so fast I believe it will be banned from my local drag strip without a roll cage and parachute lol.

The difference with a Testarossa, Tesla Roadster, and the other exotics being discussed is production volume. A car has to be rare for it to really become collectible.

Tesla will make as many Plaids as they can sell. There will be tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of them. They won’t be particularly special. I certainly wouldn’t buy one as an investment.

Limited production is why value is going up.

Cars Tesla currently makes are mass produced, if they become popular in the future, its because most of them are no longer on the road. So it depends on how well they age. If they age well, value won't be that great. If they age poorly... well, good luck with your poorly aging vehicle that is all electronics.

• Informative
Reactions: Zorak03
It takes 2 things for a car to become collectible and garner "investment" level increases in value:

* exclusivity
* devoted following among extremely wealthy people

It CAN happen that certain cars are not very exclusive when new, but become exclusive due to attrition as they become older and become collectible. 60s muscle cars are an example. But that took many decades. I cannot see that happening with the Plaid.

Reactions: 46&2 and Zorak03
That’s actually one of the main reasons I was curious as the original Roadster is rising in value. Right now I’m in the process of buying a 89 Ferrari Testarossa (was my childhood dream car) and the prices now are, in many cases, more expensive than when it was new and it’s only going up. Some collector groups expect it to be a million dollar car in 10-20 years.

The Plaid looks absolutely amazing, maybe I’ll consider it after the initial depreciation hit in 1-2 years. It’s so fast I believe it will be banned from my local drag strip without a roll cage and parachute lol.

You could save a bunch by buying a red MS and naming it Teslarossa.

You have to consider inflation. Google tells me an '89 Tesarossa started at $181k. Inflation calculator tells me that's $383k in today's money. If you bought the car for $180k in '89 and sold it for $200k in 2021, you didn't make money. You lost piles and piles of money due to inflation and any kind of opportunity cost - you could have put that $181k in an investment that appreciates, if making money were the primary goal.

Dollars of course are not the only consideration for most people with depreciation and collecting a car. You buy the car you want, depreciation be damned if you like it enough. Cars are not an investment in a strictly financial sense, but people become "ego invested" in a car they own and people think its value reflects their personal judgment. To buy a car and sell it for more than its inflation adjusted price in 10-20 years probably has the same odds of winning the lottery jackpot. That's not even considering the other costs of ownership.

The main time to think of depreciation is in the first 3-4 years of ownership when circumstances change and you want to get rid of it and not be upside down.

Right now I’m in the process of buying a 89 Ferrari Testarossa (was my childhood dream car) and the prices now are, in many cases, more expensive than when it was new and it’s only going up. Some collector groups expect it to be a million dollar car in 10-20 years.
I'm in the same boat. Well... almost. I'm not actually in the process of purchasing a Testarossa, but I've always wanted one. Ten years ago, a local '89 Testarossa came up for sale. 65,000 original miles on it, and it was in decent (but certainly not perfect) shape. The paint was fading quite badly, the clutch was pretty much gone, and the interior needed quite a bit of love. The price? $25,000. I thought and thought about it, but ended up passing it up, thinking that the price on one of the not very popular Ferraris would just continue to depreciate. That same car, in that same condition, would be somewhere north of $100k now.

You could save a bunch by buying a red MS and naming it Teslarossa.
Love it!

Reactions: Chaserr and Zorak03
I'm in the same boat. Well... almost. I'm not actually in the process of purchasing a Testarossa, but I've always wanted one. Ten years ago, a local '89 Testarossa came up for sale. 65,000 original miles on it, and it was in decent (but certainly not perfect) shape. The paint was fading quite badly, the clutch was pretty much gone, and the interior needed quite a bit of love. The price? $25,000. I thought and thought about it, but ended up passing it up, thinking that the price on one of the not very popular Ferraris would just continue to depreciate. That same car, in that same condition, would be somewhere north of $100k now.

Love it!

Yes, I’m also about a decade late. They bottomed out in value around 10 years ago and you could get a near perfect one south of $50k. Unfortunately, at the time I was not in a financial position to obtain one.

I’m not buying one solely as an investment. I had a poster of this car on my wall when I was in the third grade. I don’t think I’ll ever sell it. I’m a fairly weird guy who is a big fan of 80s pop culture. In fact, I’ve been binge watching Knight Rider for the last couple of days lol.

I had a poster of this car on my wall when I was in the third grade. I don’t think I’ll ever sell it. I’m a fairly weird guy who is a big fan of 80s pop culture.
Yup, I had that poster on my wall, too.

I graduated from High School in 1985, so yes, the decade of the '80's holds my fondest memories. The music, the cars, leg warmers, acid washed jeans, levi jackets, Vans shoes, girls with big hair and guys with mullets. Loved every minute of it!

• Love
Reactions: Zorak03
Electric cars will never appreciate in value.

Once the battery degrades to a certain point it becomes near worthless without an upgrade/replacement path.
Never? Tesla might currently build disposable single use cars, but EVs in general can be maintained forever. Most other companies have battery replacements and upgrades to keep them on the road, and Jay Leno has one with a 100 year old battery running fine.

Don't let teslas current slump convince you all electric cars will be batterygate garbage after 6 years.

Reactions: SO16 and Florafauna