Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long-Term Fundamentals of Tesla Motors (TSLA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk does not suffer fools gladly and is intensely focused on his mission.
The attack press has interpreted this as erratic and unhinged when a more accurate description is that he is so focused and mission driven that he doesn't let "niceties' get in his way.
It makes for a more sensational clickbait story when you emphasize "erratic".

This Wired story is par for their course (and why I stopped reading their drivel a long time ago).

Thank you for your opinion.

You’re welcome.

Here’s more of it: starting with the opening. You’re in charge of a section of automation and the boss asks you ‘Did you do this?’ The answer is ‘Yes’ or ‘No’. It’s not, ‘OMG! I’m new here, I’ve been working long hours, I’ve never met the boss before, what is he referring to (when I’ve specifically been called to assist)’ etc....

So, either the ‘person familiar with’ is full of it, the engineer can’t answer a simple question related to that which he’s been working so very hard on, the story is being presented in an overly dramatic way or some combination. (Actually the whole article is dramatically written, like a Stephen King novel, only faster paced and more succinct.)

Next, the 3 was never behind schedule. It was in fact in the end a full year ahead of a pulled forward schedule. (Pulled ahead two years, finished one year ahead of original schedule.)

I can go on.

The primary issue for longer term investors should be whether the current under investment in operations is protecting Model Y production. Or is that program also underfunded?

Tesla has made a lot of unforced errors due to Musk's hubris and lack of ability in operations. But these are fixable tatical problems. Tesla failing to execute on the model why will make the stock worth a lot less than $300.

You’re welcome.

Here’s more of it: starting with the opening. You’re in charge of a section of automation and the boss asks you ‘Did you do this?’ The answer is ‘Yes’ or ‘No’. It’s not, ‘OMG! I’m new here, I’ve been working long hours, I’ve never met the boss before, what is he referring to (when I’ve specifically been called to assist)’ etc....

So, either the ‘person familiar with’ is full of it, the engineer can’t answer a simple question related to that which he’s been working so very hard on, the story is being presented in an overly dramatic way or some combination. (Actually the whole article is dramatically written, like a Stephen King novel, only faster paced and more succinct.)

Next, the 3 was never behind schedule. It was in fact in the end a full year ahead of a pulled forward schedule. (Pulled ahead two years, finished one year ahead of original schedule.)

I can go on.
For the record; I admire Musk and I’m long at TSLA.

My point is, that if he creates culture of fear, where you can’t rise problems or arguments in the fear of being fired or humiliated, that is not good for Tesla.

Last edited:

My point is, that if he creates culture of fear, where you can’t rise problems or arguments in the fear of being fired or humiliated, that is not good for Tesla.

I would say there have been plenty of examples by current and former employees that it’s simply not true. There have been plenty of examples of employees appreciating that he gets down on the floor with them and gets his hands dirty and expects his other executives to do the same.

There are always people looking for fault in others rather than in themselves. You’re in charge of something, you’d better know it frontwards and backwards, otherwise go find another job.

I’ve worked for people like Elon Musk. Never hurt me a bit to be challenged and expected to give my best every day. Builds character is what my father would say. Sensitive people need not apply and it’s not a secret Tesla can be a tough, exhausting place to work. And yet, 100,000s of people apply to work there year after year from all over the world.

As I've said before, when this article was first discussed, if Elon were the insane rage monster that some are claiming him to be, why is there zero video evidence of this? No way every employee is strip searched every day at work so there are literally thousands of smart phones available to record his antics, if they ever actually happened.

Anyone have a good article or resources on Model 3 heat mgmt for cold weather. Our favorite cynic is posting some stuff about Model 3 not having a heater like the SX. What I’ve seen so far is that the 3 generates heat from the motors to keep the batteries warm.

Anyone have a good article or resources on Model 3 heat mgmt for cold weather. Our favorite cynic is posting some stuff about Model 3 not having a heater like the SX. What I’ve seen so far is that the 3 generates heat from the motors to keep the batteries warm.

I’ve been thinking about Tesla profits going forward. I think they’re shooting for the amazon model. They aren’t shooting to cash in and pay dividends, but they want to be cash flow positive and GAAP profitable. I think this will allow maximum investment in future programs without adding leverage and risk. If they had to go back to the market for capex it can actually slow down the mission, since it opens them up to more short attacks and wastes time with bankers. I’d guess they won’t make more than 500 million a quarter for a few more years and not until they’ve got at least 150 billion in annual revenue.

I heard a piece on the USA's "NPR" radio yesterday about the founder of Patagonia.
He takes whole summers off and calls in 3 times over months.
His employees are so independent that someone told him once that they thought they would be unemployable elsewhere.
The employees can handle issues as they come up and are able to take time off when family situations need it.
The company is private, not public, not required to prop up a stock. Luxury items, highly valued, well made.
Because of this, Patagonia is a firm I respect and will look into buying some of their goods.

I do not have any technical details or knowledge of mechanics of the heating systems. What I do have is personal experience, since I have both a Model S and a Model 3 sitting in my garage side-by-side. This last week we had some quite brutal cold (such as -20 Celsius) and my experience is that the Model 3 heats up noticeably faster than the Model S when I turn on the heater (pre-conditioning) from the phone app before starting to drive.

ps: there is only one aspect where the Model 3 is worse in cold weather and that is the door handles freezing up if you wash the car in the winter. The water gets behind the handles and freezes there. The model S is able to push out the handles breaking the ice, but the mechanical system in the 3 seems to handle it worse, also harder to wipe clean off water -- can't access the space behind the handles like you can on the S.

Last edited:
Given that this is a Long Term thread it might be a good idea to reflect back how Tesla long term results have fared.

Here are the 5 year return for Tesla along with broad based alternatives: Total Return includes dividend (reinvestments).

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 3.57.03 PM.png

Not only have the alternatives done better but they have done so with a fraction of volatility. In other words, you as an investor, never breaking a sweat or losing sleep.

If that wasn't enough, let's take a look at GM!!

Ultra powerful, super mega growth company TSLA has to be performing better right?

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 4.02.04 PM.png

Unbelievable, isn't it. GM outperformed TSLA, more so at half the volatility.

I don't think any of us long term investors ever fathomed such an outcome. The only debates we ever had was how many baggers this is going to be!

@DaveT is right. We might as well rename the whole Investor section as 'Waiting for Godot'