Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long-Term Fundamentals of Tesla Motors (TSLA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And you reckon they will get 25-28% profit margin on GenIII? I don't think so.

2017 for GenIII - first production will not be 80k. They will do the same as they have done with the Model S, slow to make sure everything is OK, then ramp it up.

I also don't see GenIII selling that many vehicles after an additional year. At the margin you quoted either.

What about ongoing costs of fixing warranty problems in cars?
I've had 2 door handles replaced ( granted my is a very early VIN ) and had some other minor issues. I don't know what is typical - or how to estimate what that cost is per car.

As you guys have been commenting, that was based off my predictions, which are quite optimistic. Whether gen3 comes out in 2015 or 2017, it doesn't matter what year it comes out, long term That is where my price target is.
For profit margin, I predict that because of batteries prices going down 8% per year, that means it will cost the same as the current 85kwh and be 109 kwh to go
Which means it will cost 27,000 for a 85kwh battery in Gen3. and 19,000 for a 60kwh. I predict they will be able to go 215 and 280
What P/E do you think Tesla will have in the coming years? I don't personally think the warrenties will have an affect on the profit, since Elon has continued to reiterate that the Model S is going to last.

Today, it seems that this same slide presentation just "hit the mainstream" as a result of this article published this afternoon in Business Insider:
PRESENTATION: Why Tesla's The Next Apple - Business Insider

Today the Markewatch online website of the Wall Street Journal picked up on the Longboard presentation promoting TSLA. The reporter includes video commentary: http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2013/04/30/tesla-is-the-next-apple-or-google-hedge-fund-argues/

A couple of what appear to be highly frustrated shorts are providing multiple negative comments in response to the article.

Last edited:
Ummmmm, did I read that right? Looking ahead: Tesla could have 1600km range car in the works, whoa...
Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) May Be Working On a 1,600km Range Car - Insider Monkey

Yes, Phinergy had been mentioned before. The issue currently is it uses replacable metal plates (they need to be changed out every 1,000 miles currently), it also requires that water be added every 200 miles. The metal plates are also not cheap, currently the energy costs are near .50/KW for the metal air battery. It might be ready for prime time in 2017, is the estimate. I think Tesla has been working on this independently of Phinergy...

I think Tesla has been working on this independently of Phinergy...
Indeed. Someone took the metal air patents that Tesla filed and made the leap connecting them to the somewhat recent announcement from Phinergy, (which frankly looks completely impractical), and ignored all the other work on metal air chemistry. I don't think there are any ties between Phinergy and Tesla.

Indeed. Someone took the metal air patents that Tesla filed and made the leap connecting them to the somewhat recent announcement from Phinergy, (which frankly looks completely impractical), and ignored all the other work on metal air chemistry. I don't think there are any ties between Phinergy and Tesla.

+1. This doesn't relate well at all to Tesla's patents and interests in application of the air based solution. If they're working with anyone, it would more likely be IBM

Maybe another reason for the 5 part announcements.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1372551-tesla-motors-long-now-short-later?source=forbes

This makes Tesla an ideal candidate for a reflexive boom. The company can use share issues to up its production, the increased production will allow it to increase earnings, the increased earnings will increase the share price, and the increased share price will allow it to issue further shares. As long as the share price stays above the intrinsic value of the company, the company can sell shares to grow its intrinsic value. This is one case where overvaluation is an advantage, rather than a disadvantage.

Yes, the Phinergy "link" seemed like a particularly idiotic logical leap to make. The actual patent for a hybrid battery setup was kinda interesting though.

The Amazon analogy

There once was a company lead by a visionary and competent CEO. You could tell straight away that he wasn't the build-and-flip kind of guy, he was The Real Thing. Even though nobody before had built a customer offering such as he was envisaging, he obviously knew what to do. There were complex operational issues involved - issues of costs, margins and logistics. And there were huge, established companies that at first scoffed at the newcomer, then slowly came around to copying it and trying to crush it. At first, people did not notice the stock much, but as people bought into the vision it sky-rocketed in a short while. Some said it was a bubble, others bought the stock to hold through the volatility. Clearly it was priced on the CEO's vision, not on fundamentals.

I am, of course, speaking of Amazon.

The reason why I am bringing this up is that you would be forgiven if you thought that this description of Amazon in 1999 was actually a description of Tesla. The interesting thing about Amazon is that everyone was right. If you bought the stock at a typical 1999 price of $70, by today you have close to a four-bagger. However, you would have to stick with the company through an 8-year dip before seeing it return to $70, and another 3 years to get your 3-4-bagger. In the mean time, those who shorted the stock at $70 could cover at $7-8 two years later, making arguably more attractive returns. All this while the company was making no big mistakes in executing on its vision.

Despite the similarities with Tesla, it is not trivial to draw conclusions from the comparison. It is clear in retrospect that the company could not support its typical 1999 valuation of $32bn in the short or mid term. But looking back at the share price, a buy-to-hold strategy at valuations of $10-15bn were clearly good - getting out of the dip in 2003 and making a 8-12-bagger by 2013.

I want your comments on what lessons could be drawn. As I see it, both short and long strategies could be valid in Tesla right now, depending on the investment horizon. The Perfect Investor, of course, bought Amazon in 1997/98 because of believing in the company, sold in 1999 because he saw it was overinflated, and then bought the dip in 2001 or 2002. However, trying to achieve that in Tesla runs a significant risk that the dip will never come (or, more likely: You sell at $90, it goes to $180, the dip goes to $120 and you don't get back in because your waiting for it to go lower when it doesn't).

What do you think?

Before things get crazy, well, more crazy, I tried to reflect on this whole situation. My guide thus far has been the SA article written by Sal Demir on April 29th. He predicted $73.68 by the end of this year and $110.02 by the end of next year. We have zoomed right by the first one and are half the way to the 2014 estimate. I was going to be real happy if those estimates were achieved but they were blown away, short squeeze or not. I'm still trying to keep those numbers in the back of my head as they are a good rock solid value if things decide to go south at some point, because as Cramer has said TSLA is a cult stock and can not be valued anymore, haha.

Sal left a comment on his article saying he was going to write a new article. I can't wait to read it!
http://seekingalpha.com/article/138...istake-outlook-and-elon-musk#comment-18897021

Tesla's long-term growth trajectory... $100 billion in 10 years?

Tesla Motors Could Be A 100 Billion Dollar Company in 10 Years | Ivanhoff Capital

If they still have the best technology in 10 years, I dont see a reason why it should be less than 100 billion dollar in ten years. Some people talk about hydrogen beeing better for enviroment, but I think electric car has proven to be the best type of car. In my opinion I think states should regulate this because of the invorement. If more countries does like Norway, then Tesla would be the biggest. If Tesla can produce mass-market cars, I think we in Norway would have 50% electric cars in 2020. Then again, we produce oil, so it might be hard for our economy, good thing I got Tesla shares. I think the general public will force states to be electric-friendly in the future.

Tesla is also a good stock if the US economy fails, since I think Europe will be the bigger market. If the dollar drops in value, cars would be cheaper in Europe, and Tesla will hopefully completely dominate. That is, if they still have the best technology. One thing we should keep in mind is that if technology in Solar power gets better, Tesla would have a much better chance of success.

Before things get crazy, well, more crazy, I tried to reflect on this whole situation. My guide thus far has been the SA article written by Sal Demir on April 29th. He predicted $73.68 by the end of this year and $110.02 by the end of next year. We have zoomed right by the first one and are half the way to the 2014 estimate. I was going to be real happy if those estimates were achieved but they were blown away, short squeeze or not. I'm still trying to keep those numbers in the back of my head as they are a good rock solid value if things decide to go south at some point, because as Cramer has said TSLA is a cult stock and can not be valued anymore, haha.

Sal left a comment on his article saying he was going to write a new article. I can't wait to read it!
http://seekingalpha.com/article/138...istake-outlook-and-elon-musk#comment-18897021

I would also suggest to take a look at the insiders take on market capitalization - see my post linked below.

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - Page 79

Wow, Cramer wants to buy a Tesla. That's a serious endorsement even if he's being fuzzy on TSLA - it says a lot...

My year will be made if Cramer buys a Model S. I've been tweeting at him for years about Tesla every time he said something negative about it on the show. I could tell he just hadn't done the work on it that he teaches his viewers to do. I thought that was a shame because if he did, then he would have known what we all did. Looks like it has now caught his interest and he is spending a lot of time on it.

Another thought: Cramer has a rule that he doesn't talk about stocks below a certain market cap on his show. I don't remember what it is, but it might have been $10B. The reason is because of the "Cramer Effect". He has too much power and in a small cap stock he could crush it or shoot it to the moon if he talks about it on the show.

If Tesla is above that market cap now, and he really likes the car that much, we could be seeing a steady stream of good press on Mad Money from now on.