Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long-Term Fundamentals of Tesla Motors (TSLA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a broad question, what reasons might a private company, (Space X), have for buying $90 million in Bonds for a company it is sort of partnered with, that is a publicly traded company (Solar City)?

A while back Space X posted a picture that showed that Space X uses "technology from Solar City and Tesla Motors." Anyone familiar with this type of thing have any thoughts?

I'm posting this here because this could relate to Tesla Motors, Solar City, or SpaceX.

How about Tesla embeds its range management software in a "Virtual EV". What the app would do is monitor your travel in vehicles and estimate how much energy and range you would have consumed if you were driving a Model S or some other EV. It would virtually recharge at home and when near Superchargers and other charging infrastructure. You would be able to do route planning with it. Ultimately, it would give you ample statistics on your own vehicle usage and range needs. Most people would find it is very hard to brorder their Virtual EV and become more comfortable buying an EV.

That is an absolutely perfect idea. Tesla are the first-movers in coming out with a comprehensive SC network. Now they could be first mover in providing the software/big data driven tools that will be important in the coming transformation to EVs.

How about Tesla embeds its range management software in a "Virtual EV". What the app would do is monitor your travel in vehicles and estimate how much energy and range you would have consumed if you were driving a Model S or some other EV. It would virtually recharge at home and when near Superchargers and other charging infrastructure. You would be able to do route planning with it. Ultimately, it would give you ample statistics on your own vehicle usage and range needs. Most people would find it is very hard to brorder their Virtual EV and become more comfortable buying an EV.

That's a truly fine suggestion, James. I gave you the credit when I emailed it to the Tesla Motors sales department. I hope you don't mind.

Anyone who has contact with others at the company who might be influential may want to do the same.

BMW had an app like this for the activeE. Trying to find what it was called because I don't remember. Not sure if it has been updated or if there are others like it. It wasn't very publicized and people tended not to use it because it used up a lot of battery and would drain their phone (ironic, I suppose) by constantly logging location services all day.

edit: here's one for android, don't know if it's any good, just came up on google, seems to have bad ratings unfortunately https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.limosoft.evrange&hl=en

- - - Updated - - -

Lying to the public and pretending that a LEAF type vehicle has more useful range than it really does will help nothing. In the conditions I laid out, based on the parameters of the study, the LEAF very well could have less than 40 miles of range. I know you prefer to pretend that never happens, yet people who have actually bought the LEAF have found it unsuitable for their needs under certain conditions and after the pack lost capacity. There are long threads on LEAF forums discussing this, and those are early adopters. If those people have well documented issues with the range of the vehicle you can be sure the general public will have even more problems, which will hurt the adoption of EV's. Further, I'll once again point out that the general public is not reading these forums, so any realistic discussion of range is not discouraging anyone and not having a negative effect on anything. Looking at EV's through your "range colored glasses" will only produce disappointment in the public. Whenever I discuss EV's with the general public I talk about rated range, with realistic and appropriate caveats, and it's almost never enough for them, unless it's a Tesla. For some, even that's not enough. That's the real world.

So your evidence for this are the "early adopters" who bought the first-year Leaf and live in hot climates, something which is a problem unique to that model, year and type of climate, and has been fixed in later versions and on other cars? Well, then you're doing exactly what I said, and what you just talked about - lying to the public and pretending that EVs are useless. Focusing on "caveats" instead of the real world.

The reason that the general public thinks it's not enough for them is because people like you, who ought to know better, are actively trying to make them think that. You are the problem I was just talking about, you are creating the issue that the study was about, with this less than 40 mile nonsense of yours. You and your conversations with the general public are exactly why people have this unrealistic picture of EVs. kenliles posted a survey talking about realistic discussions of range, and all of a sudden you're cutting ranges down to 1/3 of the actual rated range. That's not realistic, that's ridiculous.

Last edited:
I'm happy if this idea has legs. Thanks.

By the way this wouldn't need to be done by Tesla either, an independent app developer could do it. Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to use (location services, map API, keep list of supercharger locations on a server, maybe integrate with plugshare and talk to them about it, have a nice UI...make sure to make the thing as light on battery use as possible though because it's no good if people never use it), but then again, I don't know how to develop mobile apps so maybe it's harder than I'd think. If anyone here does, or knows someone who does, and who would want to take this up, it could just get done without having to refer it to anyone's corporate structure. Tesla has a lot of things on their plate already and a lot of them are late so I would think there might be faster ways to go about it than through them...and then an app developer who makes a good enough app could show it to Tesla, their social media team could tweet/FB it, and maybe even the dev would get a job offer out of it :p Soo....who's gonna do it?

edit:

I found the BMW app. It was called "BMW EVolve" and is no longer available in the iOS store. It looks like it may still exist on Google play though? Here's the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bmw.activities&hl=en

I don't know if it works, I don't have an android device. But yeah, this is a basic version of what we've been talking about here.

Last edited:
By the way this wouldn't need to be done by Tesla either, an independent app developer could do it. Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to use (location services, map API, keep list of supercharger locations on a server, maybe integrate with plugshare and talk to them about it, have a nice UI...make sure to make the thing as light on battery use as possible though because it's no good if people never use it), but then again, I don't know how to develop mobile apps so maybe it's harder than I'd think. If anyone here does, or knows someone who does, and who would want to take this up, it could just get done without having to refer it to anyone's corporate structure. Tesla has a lot of things on their plate already and a lot of them are late so I would think there might be faster ways to go about it than through them...and then an app developer who makes a good enough app could show it to Tesla, their social media team could tweet/FB it, and maybe even the dev would get a job offer out of it :p Soo....who's gonna do it?

These are good ideas. I'd be happy to see an enterprising programmer take this on.

For me, the key issue is to get actual Tesla technology into people's hands. As an interactive marketing device, it's best if it comes directly from Tesla. I have found that my Tesla app is a great way to show off my car to folks. Similar design features can be built int this app. Building a little design studio into app would be good to. Let prospects pick out the color and other features they like. They can even name their Virtual Tesla.

On the back side of this app, Tesla can learn what areas are most prone for range anxiety. This could provide feed back for locating more charging infrastructure. It would show where nonEV drivers would get in trouble.

kenliles posted a survey talking about realistic discussions of range, and all of a sudden you're cutting ranges down to 1/3 of the actual rated range. That's not realistic, that's ridiculous.

Apparently you didn't understand the parameters of the study, which talked about the usefulness of a LEAF type pack at 80% of capacity. I just pointed out the potential effects of real world conditions on that pack, something you have a history of ignoring in these debates. If you tell people a LEAF always has an 80+ mile range you are lying to them, I don't do that. Even a brand new LEAF could find itself with a sub 60 mile range in winter conditions. That's reality, especially here in the Northeast. You might notice that kenliles agreed with my assessment.

Apparently you didn't understand the parameters of the study, which talked about the usefulness of a LEAF type pack at 80% of capacity. I just pointed out the potential effects of real world conditions on that pack, something you have a history of ignoring in these debates. If you tell people a LEAF always has an 80+ mile range you are lying to them, I don't do that. Even a brand new LEAF could find itself with a sub 60 mile range in winter conditions. That's reality, especially here in the Northeast.

Apparently you don't understand that 30% is not 80% over here in the real world. You tell people that the Leaf has an under-40 mile range, and are lying to them. You *do* do that. You are the problem.

If you'd like to block my posts from your view, I'd love for you to do that. I'll be happily doing it for yours, as well, since I'm pretty tired of your nonsense. But it would be nice if you also wouldn't expose the general public to it, because you're causing the exact incorrect perceptions the study talks about. I guess I can't expect that of you since you're so committed to these lies, though.

Last edited:
A while ago I made an app that attempted to track acceleration, distance driven, heat usage (that was manual), external temperature, and elevation change in an attempt to come up with a realistic energy usage model. I never was able to get it to match an EV I actually drove (ActiveE, S85, i3) within 20%. I gave up on it. That doesn't mean it isn't a good idea--just the implementation is harder than one might think, or has too much manual input required, like the BMW app mentioned above. That app did nothing but track mileage and subtract from 100 (the ActiveE's "range"), but you had to remember to "start" and "stop" it. And GPS mileage turns out to be too different from real world mileage it didn't work very well even for that simple use case.

A while ago I made an app that attempted to track acceleration, distance driven, heat usage (that was manual), external temperature, and elevation change in an attempt to come up with a realistic energy usage model. I never was able to get it to match an EV I actually drove (ActiveE, S85, i3) within 20%. I gave up on it. That doesn't mean it isn't a good idea--just the implementation is harder than one might think, or has too much manual input required, like the BMW app mentioned above. That app did nothing but track mileage and subtract from 100 (the ActiveE's "range"), but you had to remember to "start" and "stop" it. And GPS mileage turns out to be too different from real world mileage it didn't work very well even for that simple use case.

This is one reason why it would be good to use Tesla's model / technology. It would be specifically calibrated to the Model S. The accuracy of the app to an actual Model S would be key to making the app credible. You can bet that people will try to Brorder the app or the Model S while using the app. But if Tesla's model is strong, it will hold up to this testing.

Concerning the virtual EV thing, it is a neat idea but if you get it you are probably one of the converted already. A few will buy it just to post on social media screencaps of their device saying "you have zero range left" with snarky commentary.

I think Jonas is way too utopian on shared autonomous vehicles. People have always shared vehicles when ownership is out of reach, just like people have shared apartments and rented out rooms to make ends meet. The existence of car sharing apps no more means people will abandon personal auto ownership than the existence of Airbnb mean that people will abandon home ownership. It just strikes me as naive to extrapolate from a few novel start ups to imagine that such cost savings measures will be adequate for everyone. Not everyone is going to rent out an unused room room in their home just to collect rent from strangers. Honestly I do not want to pimp out my Model S to strangers even if Blueberry becomes fully autonomous. If people really want to ride share to save money, there are plenty of opportunities to carpool or take public transportation. Having an app on your smartphone does not make such options all that more attractive. Fundamentally, autonomous vehicles will put professional drivers out of work. The cost savings from eliminating these jobs will enable people to make more frequent use of vehicles for hire. But in the end vehicle miles per capita will go up as the cost per mile and inconvenience of travel go down, and automakers will sell even more vehicles per year. Additionally roads will become more congested than ever as vehicles without any occupants roll about avoiding parking tickets.

.... Additionally roads will become more congested than ever as vehicles without any occupants roll about avoiding parking tickets.

Remember that remote lots or really dense, inconvenient lots like tandem parking won't trouble an autonomous vehicle. As roads get better utilization, so will parking lots. Right now if a lot isn't within walking distance to your destination it's garbage. With an automated fleet much more space can be used efficiently.

Remember that remote lots or really dense, inconvenient lots like tandem parking won't trouble an autonomous vehicle. As roads get better utilization, so will parking lots. Right now if a lot isn't within walking distance to your destination it's garbage. With an automated fleet much more space can be used efficiently.
In a different vision of the future: after dropping you off at your destination, the car picks up a new passenger down the block and gets back to productive work.

SUDDEN REVELATION: it's all so clear now! The reason that there's almost no 'clutter-storage' in the Model S is that Elon is trying to train us not to leave anything in the car. Thus when our cars join Uber-Z and spend their days busily making money for us as autonomous taxis, we'll all be cool with that.

I think Jonas is way too utopian on shared autonomous vehicles. People have always shared vehicles when ownership is out of reach, just like people have shared apartments and rented out rooms to make ends meet. The existence of car sharing apps no more means people will abandon personal auto ownership than the existence of Airbnb mean that people will abandon home ownership. It just strikes me as naive to extrapolate from a few novel start ups to imagine that such cost savings measures will be adequate for everyone. Not everyone is going to rent out an unused room room in their home just to collect rent from strangers. Honestly I do not want to pimp out my Model S to strangers even if Blueberry becomes fully autonomous. If people really want to ride share to save money, there are plenty of opportunities to carpool or take public transportation. Having an app on your smartphone does not make such options all that more attractive. Fundamentally, autonomous vehicles will put professional drivers out of work. The cost savings from eliminating these jobs will enable people to make more frequent use of vehicles for hire. But in the end vehicle miles per capita will go up as the cost per mile and inconvenience of travel go down, and automakers will sell even more vehicles per year. Additionally roads will become more congested than ever as vehicles without any occupants roll about avoiding parking tickets.

Sorry but reading this gave me pain.
Every single sentence is basically ridiculous.

Jonas is talking about shared fleets, not shared personal cars.
Millennia's just don't care about car ownership, in fact its just considered a huge hassle and big cost point.
People just want to have an on demand supercheap uber.
Its trivial that using a shared fleet selfdriving car will be cheaper than using a personal car.
It has some similarities to public transport, just without all the major downsides off.
Sharing the ride with weirdos.
Dirty interior.
slower than a car.
Doesn't drop you off right in front of your doorstep.
scheduled times that you have to adjust to.

Your argument about the "using an app to hire them doesnt change anything" made me literally facepalm.

Do you realize the hyper growth of Uber in the last 4 years?
from 0 to 39B$ market evaluation, present in over 50 countries.
Just in London they have 20.000 operating Uber cars as of today.

You think that would have been the case without the app?

The only thing why I am less worried about the future of Tesla in a future of automated fleets is that premium segment will still be dominated by personal owned cars.

Similar to the airline industry.

Where the really wealthy people have their own private jets.
and everyone else who cant afford it rides in the "shared jets"

The cost to entry point will for personal self driving cars will obviously be much cheaper then for Privat jets.
I guess around 35k$.
I also see the Car become the second living room, and that more people could start to appreciate a nice interior.

Tesla CTO JB Straubel talks about the future of electric cars at 2015 Vail Global Energy Forum | Electrek

That a very good Panel with JB Straubel participating in it.
One big topic is how the SDC will shape the future of the industry.

______________________________________________________________________________________

One other big advantage that was mentioned in that talk was the possiblity of "dynamic highways"
Problem:
Typical highway has 3 lanes going inside the city, and 3 lanes going outside the city.
In the Morning everyone wants to get inside the city, and there is traffic jam on the inside lanes, while the outside lanes are almost empty.

In the evening everyone wants to get outside t he city, and there is a traffic jam on the outside lanes, while the inside lanes are almost empty.

Solution:
Mark the inner most lanes of the highway as "Dynamic lanes SDC ONLY".
Those lanes will change their direction, e.g. from 5am to 2pm both lanes are "in the city lanes" and after 2pm they become "out of the city lanes"

o = outside city lane
i = inside city lane
d = dynamic lane that changes from o to i depending on the time of the day.

lanes typical as of today:
| o | o | o | i | i | i |

dynamic lanes:
| o | o | d | d | i | i |

morning:
| o | o | i | i | i | i |

evening:
| o | o | o | o | i | i |

And allow those lanes only to be used only by full automated SDC.
That way we could increase the use of the infrastructure by about 33% without any huge expenses.

That solution would never work with human beings as drivers, it would be a nightmare, but with SDC it will work.

Last edited:
Jonas is talking about shared fleets, not shared personal cars.
Millennia's just don't care about car ownership, in fact its just considered a huge hassle and big cost point.
People just want to have an on demand supercheap uber.
Its trivial that using a shared fleet selfdriving car will be cheaper than using a personal car.
It has some similarities to public transport, just without all the major downsides off.

Agree with your view on millennials. For many of them car ownership is a hassle not an aspiration. Apart from millennials, there is a huge chunk of people from all demographics that are currently forced into car ownership by their life circumstances. Once these people are presented with viable alternatives to personal ownership, they might opt out of ownership.

Do you realize the hyper growth of Uber in the last 4 years?
from 0 to 39B$ market evaluation, present in over 50 countries.
Just in London they have 20.000 operating Uber cars as of today.

You think that would have been the case without the app?

I also see the Car become the second living room, and that more people could start to appreciate a nice interior.

Agree with your point about apps and their power in shaping the market and behaviors.

Solution:
Mark the inner most lanes of the highway as "Dynamic lanes SDC ONLY".
Those lanes will change their direction, e.g. from 5am to 2pm both lanes are "in the city lanes" and after 2pm they become "out of the city lanes"

And allow those lanes only to be used only by full automated SDC.
That way we could increase the use of the infrastructure by about 33% without any huge expenses.

That solution would never work with human beings as drivers, it would be a nightmare, but with SDC it will work.

Such solution already works with 100% compliance with human drivers on many roads in Sydney. Physical portable markers are placed on some lanes before and after peak traffic hours.

Last edited: