Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long term(ish) Model 3 owners, how reliable has the car been to you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I've been here 63+ years and as far back as I can remember, I've assumed that whenever someone mentioned CDL here, it was in reference to a CA driver license. Now since I'm not qualified, nor familiar with, the requirements and licensing of commercial drivers, maybe that's just my bias.

Reactions: israndy
Ah, I think I may have been confused. My first impression of the meaning of CDL is California Driver License, since that's where I live. CDL for you is Commercial Driver License?

I totally saw "CDL" as " California Drivers License" too... @SammichLover doesnt have a location under his / her pic, so I was not sure where the location was... and CDL is what shorthand is for drivers licenses out here, lol.

It wasnt just you, in any case :D

Similarly, I was in the car the other day listening to Spotify, and George Jones “The One I Loved Back Then” came up on my playlist. In a rare showing of musical interest, my wife started singing along to the words, sort of. She sang “Oh she was hotter than a two dollar biscuit...” and I went WHAT??? After I stopped laughing uncontrollably and was able to regain composure, I asked her just how hot a two dollar biscuit is!??! After 24 years of marriage she can still surprise me.

Ok, done with my off topic story to return to the more recent off topic discussion.

Similarly, I was in the car the other day listening to Spotify, and George Jones “The One I Loved Back Then” came up on my playlist. In a rare showing of musical interest, my wife started singing along to the words, sort of. She sang “Oh she was hotter than a two dollar biscuit...” and I went WHAT??? After I stopped laughing uncontrollably and was able to regain composure, I asked her just how hot a two dollar biscuit is!??! After 24 years of marriage she can still surprise me.

Ok, done with my off topic story to return to the more recent off topic discussion.
I noticed you were a Leaf owner...
I was a year one Leaf buyer (2011) and drove it for 7 years until my Model 3 LR RWD was ready. I was a day one M3 reserver. And people have range anxiety now, LOL. :D Never got my model Model 3. :( The M3 changed EVERYTHING IMO.

I totally saw "CDL" as " California Drivers License" too... @SammichLover doesnt have a location under his / her pic, so I was not sure where the location was... and CDL is what shorthand is for drivers licenses out here, lol.
"Xim"/"Xe"/"Xey" please ;), and oops. I'm not sure how to change the Location field, to "Cornchute, TX"? Maybe it only asked me when I signed up the account, and it is a write-once field? If you move to a new town you have to make a new account?

Reactions: jjrandorin
Oct 2018 dual motor build here - my items are below. I'm not labeling all of these as problems, but service was great at assisting.
1. Creaking/popping when accelerating/regen at speeds around 5mph (service torqued all 4 axle nuts).
2. USB ports in front console went out late in 2019 - service came to my house and swapped them

No issues with driving, battery/motors, autopilot software/hardware or the main touchscreen.

I noticed you were a Leaf owner...
I was a year one Leaf buyer (2011) and drove it for 7 years until my Model 3 LR RWD was ready. I was a day one M3 reserver. And people have range anxiety now, LOL. :D Never got my model Model 3. :( The M3 changed EVERYTHING IMO.

Oh yeah, we had a 2015 Leaf for 3.5 years. Winter range with heat on was about 60 miles, less at highway speeds. My daughter was driving it while away at college and she was rear ended. Totaled the Leaf, my daughter walked away without a scratch. For that reason I will always think well of our Leaf.

Purchased: July 2018
Model: LR RWD M3 with EAP
Miles: 55,600k
Monthly avg miles: 2,250 miles
# of Supercharges: 25 (none longer than 45 minutes)
Home charging: Tesla mobile charger @ 30AMPS on 240V
Battery Health: 275 miles at maximum daily setting (Trip portion never utilized)
Tires: Hit the wear bars at 51k miles (will change to another set of Continentals when stay-at-home orders are lifted).
Rotations: 12k, 24k, none since then
Service appointments:
8/2018 - glove compartment kept opening randomly, had latch replaced.

Non-service appointment repairs:
02/2020 - Front right parking sensor and bracket got knocked off from hitting tire debris on freeway. Removed frunk and was able to wiggle my hand into an opening and re-attach bracket using an epoxy-resin glue (extra-strength double-sided tape did not hold for longer than a day).
05/2020 - Safelite rock-chip repair on front windshield. Serviced at Safelite, paid $80 for the repair. I do have a lot of rock pits, but I won't replace the windshield yet. I was quoted by Tesla a little under $1200 for the replacement.

All in all, my M3 has been extremely reliable. Oh, the driver-side armrest on the door has indentations from my pointy elbow resting on it, and causing the material to look warped. Everything else about the car has been perfect. My self-installed Suntek clear-bra I have on my car has taken a good beating on the front, and since it was a pre-cut kit, some of those edges have lifted slightly and have accumulated some dirt, so I will probably need to re-do it in a year.

Last edited:
My wife and I each bought a Model 3 in 2018 (March and Sept) and they have been the most reliable new cars we have ever purchased. I've rotated the tires myself (as needed) and changed the cabin air filter once in my wife's car.

The only service either one has needed was when an error message showed up about a problem with the driver's seatbelt! We took it in and Tesla swapped out the defective part for free under warranty (I think it was a third-party seatbelt pyro pre-tensioner). Other than that, after 50,000 miles, both cars have been perfectly reliable. Not a squeak or rattle has developed, no lights have needed replacing, we even have both the original windshield wipers and they work great. But I think windshield wipers last longer here in rainy Western Washington because stuff doesn't get a chance to dry on. I love not having to schedule service visits for oil, filters and brakes. My new Mazda needed brakes and 5 oil and filter services in under 40K miles while the Tesla brakes are still at 90% on both cars.

• Love
Reactions: Reborn and house9