TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Long-term Model S rental/very short-term lease/other solution?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by IAmKai, Jul 7, 2017.

1. IAmKai

IAmKai Member

So, I have a BMW i3 right now. The lease ends in just about 5 weeks. I'm an evening-of-3/31/16 reservationist and a California resident. When I made my reservation, I didn't think I'd getting a 3 until mid-to-late 2018. I figured I could buy something used for a year or so, then sell it when I get my 3. Now, unless the production timeline takes a big hit, I'm fairly confident I'll have the option to get one within the next 6 months or so.

I've seen plenty of lease takeovers, but none are ever sub-12 months. The problem with buying something used in the mean time is taking such a big sales tax hit for such short term usage. I could buy the car, somehow sell it for the same price and still lose $4,000.

What I would appreciate would be some options that I might not be aware of in terms of something in the mean time. There's the standard long-term rental from a normal rental car company option, but I highly value HOV lane access (130 mile roundtrip commute of which 99% is freeway driving). Does anyone know of some kind of long-term Model S rental that's not so exorbitant as paying the $100+/day rates on Turo? I'm willing to pay some kind of premium on such an odd situation, but $3k+ a month is obviously too much.

Would appreciate any advice anyone has. Thanks!

2. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

Have you asked BMW if you can extend your lease for another 6 months? Or go month to month? When I leased my Leaf they offered lease extensions without me asking.

3. IAmKai

IAmKai Member

Wow. That's a pretty good idea. Some quick Googling shows BMW may offer at least a couple of months - possibly more. Thanks!

4. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Given your location you might contact some of the Turo owners of older Tesla or other BEV about a long term rental. That might get you down to a tolerable pain. Clearly a flexible extension of your i3 lease might be the simplest and maybe cheapest option.

I checked on a three month rental of an older S at a different location and ended out at $1,000 per month. Some Turo owners will do that, especially for rentals outside peak season for them.

5. IAmKai

IAmKai Member

Ah, I'll try that. I had thought about it, but figured it was a losing battle to get them down that low. I'll give it a go. Thanks!

6. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Not a sure thing at all, but there are a handful of older MS60 floating around the LA area. I'll bet BMW extension ends out working the best.
    Please keep us posted. Quite a few people are encountering analogous problems as M3 production becomes a reality.