Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long term non Supercharger charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all well. Got a question regarding charging behavior. So I'll be parking my MYLR at an airport parking lot for 8 days, there are EV Chargers I can use (non tesla, have to pay). My question is, if I start this charging when I park and set my limit to 80%, when the charging reach the limit and the charging stops/pauses, will the charger still be billing me since I'm still plugged in? Or will my billing stop and start again once the battery level drops and it starts charging again? The airport charges $2 service fee, and 45 cents per kWh.

I'm debating whether to just leave the car unplugged the whole time, or just have it plugged in and pay for the charging.

Thanks

Michael

Second what @andaconda said about not worrying and just park with with 60-80 percent. Turn off sentry and do not use the app to check charge every day. You’ll be surprised how little you actually lose. Beside, you could arrive at the airport and all the stalls are occupied and you don’t have a choice.
To answer your specific question about charging, some public chargers charge idle fees (sitting there but not charging) others don’t. I would seriously doubt an airport charger would charge idle fees, but you never know. It should say in the app that you use to initiate charging whether or not they charge idle fees.

Reactions: Pianewman
For an 8 day duration I would turn off Sentry Mode. Otherwise you will be using 6% to 7% of the battery charge every 24 hours, more than half of the battery charge over 8 days. Sentry mode will automatically be turned off if the battery charge falls below 20% to conserve the remaining battery charge.

Have to check with the company that operates the charger. Even if they don’t charge fees once you reach your target soc and charging stops it probably will not automatically start charging again. Again this would depend on the charger and who operates it.

For an 8 day duration I would turn off Sentry Mode. Otherwise you will be using 6% to 7% of the battery charge every 24 hours, more than half of the battery charge over 8 days. Sentry mode will automatically be turned off if the battery charge falls below 20% to conserve the remaining battery charge.
I do this for one to two weeks often. I turn off sentry mode and cabin overheat protection. I lose 1% over a week at most.

Also need turn on overheat protection if weather is extreme? I noticed when I parked car outside that function always kicked in which drains battery. It reaches 105 within 5 minutes for Texas summer.
Cabin overheat is only active for 12 hours after you park.

OP, just park the car. Doesn’t sound like you have any practical need to be plugged in.