Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long-term ownership opinions on black interior in sunny climate sought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"
Dang it, you're got me worried about ordering a Pano roof again. Like anything, I guess, there are supporter and detractors on any feature. I must carefully consider this option. Unlike my other sunroofs, the Tesla Pano has no sliding panel to block out the light.

Go check one out if you can. I'd probably order it again, but I wouldn't turn down a CPO car that had everything I wanted except the pano, either.

As with other aspects of the Tesla experience, the positives outweigh the negatives so far - unless and until the pano starts leaking. Speaking of service visits, Service responded to the frequent pano cracking/popping sounds I experienced at, to, and from 11,000' (and had written off to pressure changes) by replacing some sort of tape and all has been well since. Not a leak, not a drop, not a crack nor a pop. So far.

An opaque shade is easy enough to craft - I will have travel versions made from reflective material and suction cups as an example - and tint is relatively inexpensive.

Pano is an absolute must if you are tall and/or your passengers are. Without pano you can't sit in the back when you are 6 foot tall without bending your head.

I think the whole car incl the pano is amazing at keeping heat out. Had an Audi A5 before with less than half of the pano surface which was much hotter. I live in sunny Florida and my black interior and pano is a no issue, especially with the a/c remote pre cooling.

Black with Dolphin grey here (with pano, and ceramic tint on windows). Until the end of last year it used to be parked outside in the office parking lot all day long, according to the app, the internal temp would hit 130f more or less every day from Jun-Sep. I'm fairly sure the app taps out at 130f, but either way, it cools down quickly, I got into the habit of turning on the AC as I started to pack up for the day...after the inevitable delays actually getting out the office, it was nicely cooled. As others have said, on the days where I forgot, I just dropped the rear windows as I drove off to vent the hot air, and it was cool within a few minutes. My car is pushing 2.5yrs now, no issues with any of the interior finishes.

I have tinted glass plus the Tesla pano screen and rear window screen. The interior temperature seems to be about 15-20 degrees cooler than it was before, and the a/c seems to work less. Mine are subjective impressions. Still, whether a black or light interior or exterior i would do both of those to reduce the interior temperature. the car can cool effectively anyway as several people have noted.

I have black on black with no pano in Socal.

Coastal/Beach (where i live) isn't too bad, even with the sun on it all day. Inland (where i work) it gets CRAZY hot. I bought the fancy ass windshield screen and it does help to bring it from like 100+ to 90 or so when I go to leave during the day. I'm pretty much convinced in need to get the ceramic tint all around, problem is... the car already has nice tint. I hate to waste it, but I think it'll help the car and protect the interior.

I don't regret the choice, but it definitely gets hot and doesn't make the first 5 minutes in the car very fun.

Wow, what variations in response ... shows how different we all are!
Wife really wants the Pano, I'd drop it in a heart beat.
But as this one is for her, I guess we'll be trying it.
I have sun-roof in my 16 year old SUV, and I do't think it's averaged being open a day per year!

Funny, I've had a sunroof in nearly every car and rarely opened them. Every morning it's not raining, I drive to the gym with all windows down and pano wide open. It's a great way to get awake and pumped up before dawn!

heat issue aside, I had a Tesla loaner with tan interior and it look a lot more worn out than the black interior. They just show every imperfection.

All our cars since the early 90's have black interiors. They do get hot if exposed to direct sun but not any hotter than seats of other color. ventilated seats are big help but proper dash shades when you park the car is the ticket.