Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long term parking and Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be going on an 7 day cruise and keeping the car parked at the airport for 8 days. With Sentry mode on all that time, should I be worried about a low battery when I get back? I know it turns off at 20% but has anyone left it on for an extended amount of time? I assume so..

I will be going on an 7 day cruise and keeping the car parked at the airport for 8 days. With Sentry mode on all that time, should I be worried about a low battery when I get back? I know it turns off at 20% but has anyone left it on for an extended amount of time? I assume so..

You may want to find out if your airport has EV charging stations in long-term parking, then you won't need to worry about it. These are becoming more common. I've had a wide variety of power loss, but generally under about 18 miles per day. If you can get online, you can always check on the car while you're away and disable it if you are getting concerned.

I haven’t measured, but I’ve also read about 20 miles or so a day of loss using sentry. It might be nice if Tesla could add a mode to have Sentry only on at night as an option to help the battery last a little longer during long term parking. Or maybe a low power mode. I have Arlo cameras that last months on a 17Wh battery. The model 3 has 75,000 Wh.

I left mine at the airport for 6.5 days with Sentry Mode on and a 2CH BlackVue running. Lost 135MPH range in 127 hours (1.06 Avg). Not bad at all.

8 days, assuming full days, is 184 hours... so you're probably looking ballpark 175-200 miles of range loss with Sentry on....question then is if you can get to the airport with enough of a charge that it doesn't turn itself off before you get back, and if the remaining range will be enough when you get back for whatever you need to do.