Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Long-term Parking Setting?"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

On occasion, I would like park my Model Y LR long-term (say two or more weeks) at a location without charging and where it might be a long drive to a charger meaning I would want to return to my car with as much charge as possible. This is mostly for long hiking trips, but could also be at a remote airport, etc. My plan is to go through the checklist of settings to turn off such as Sentry Mode, bluetooth and wifi, mobile access, data sharing, etc.

What I think I would like is to have a single setting called something like "Long-term Parking" that tells the car to sleep, stay asleep, and do more-or-less nothing (except keep the 12 V battery healthy!) until I put the card-key on the door pillar. I am presuming that Tesla is in a better place to optimize the car's behavior for long-term parking than I am.

Now, without the feedback@tesla email, I am not sure how to bring this up, but I thought I would mention it here to see whether others find this of interest, or know of some similar strategy.

Michael
I have asked the same thing? How do we suggest a "long term parking "mode?

Parked at the airport. Had 265 miles on the charge. Did not turn off sentry mode and do not have summon. Also have the car set to precondition at home at 7:15 on weekdays for work. I didn't turn that off either. It was cold, ranging between 30 and 40 degrees, at the outdoor lot. Got a notification after 8 days that sentry mode was disabled to save power. Checked the app and had 66 miles left. We weren't going to be back for another 8 days. Disabled everything we could and watched the milage drop to 64 over the next day. We weren't willing to risk it and had our son pick it up and drive it home to charge.
I haven't seen any comments here about the preconditioning as a reason but I assume that would be a big factor. Thoughts?
Also, agree that there should be a one button approach to long term parking!

One button would be nice, but it's really just Sentry, Summon Standby, and Cabin Overheat Protection + being disciplined about not using the Tesla app on your phone. I personally keep that all off anyways b/c I street park daily and only plug my car in when I'm actively charging.

Also have the car set to precondition at home at 7:15 on weekdays for work. I didn't turn that off either. It was cold, ranging between 30 and 40 degrees, at the outdoor lot
Yeah of course this and sentry will kill your battery. I don’t know if precondition will ever even turn off, so entirely possible your car just ran the heater all day for a week.
Disabled everything we could and watched the milage drop to 64 over the next day
Checking the car wakes it up and prevents it from sleeping, so this was actually counterproductive. That said, it sounds like you had an easy way to avoid a bad situation, so I’d say you made the right call.

Yeah of course this and sentry will kill your battery. I don’t know if precondition will ever even turn off, so entirely possible your car just ran the heater all day for a week.

Checking the car wakes it up and prevents it from sleeping, so this was actually counterproductive. That said, it sounds like you had an easy way to avoid a bad situation, so I’d say you made the right call.
Thanks!

I haven't done the test but I believe it won't, which means it will display stale information. It wouldn't make much sense for the widget to constantly keep the car alive, that would be a very bad design IMO.
Let's see if someone has actually tried it out in conjunction with TeslaFi or other app that would clarify whether the car sleeps or not.

I haven't done the test but I believe it won't, which means it will display stale information. It wouldn't make much sense for the widget to constantly keep the car alive, that would be a very bad design IMO.
Let's see if someone has actually tried it out in conjunction with TeslaFi or other app that would clarify whether the car sleeps or not.
I figured. But also the I would also have to remove the Tesla app from running in the background to prevent any refresh.