Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long term parking without charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sometimes in a position where I need to park my car for a couple of weeks, and it may be in locations where I do not have access to a charger (parking garage, etc). Can anyone tell me does the battery slowly drain down, so when I return, the car may be depleted. As someone who is new to this, is there the equivalent with an EV of having your car jumped with some sort of portable supercharger?

Thanks

@Cr8it, Last year, there were 5 times where my car had to go 25 days or more without charging. Turn energy saving on, always connected off, and smart preconditioning off. Charge it to at least 90% if you can. Lastly, avoid the temptation of checking on it with the phone app, which wakes it up and increases the drain. Do these things, and you should be perfectly fine.

• Informative
Reactions: 808?
I can only charge my car once or twice per week given I live in a condo. I see Tesla recommends always keeping plugged in. As long as I don't let it get too low (which I don't), are there any detrimental affects? Long term affects?

Yeah, that shouldn't be any problem. Use the recommendations @Pollywog gave, so it will go to sleep and don't wake it up by checking on it with the remote app. Bjorn Nyland, one of the Tesla pioneers in Norway, left his Model S for 27 days in pretty cold weather in Winter, and it lost around 1% a day. Here's the video on that.