Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long term rental / short term lease of Model as in UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
H all,

Apologies if this is in another tread, though couldn't find it.

I'm an expat living in the US, and due to family reasons may have to come back to the uk this year for 2-3 months. I would be happiest if I could continue using a model S whilst there. I will be likely in the NW / Manchester side of the world, and noted the opening a little while back, if that helps.

Does anyone have information on reasonably priced rentals ideas, or if I can rent a loaner from TM?

Additionally, what's the charge rate using UWC on 240v/13A?

cheers, Mike

I've only seen them offered on much shorter rentals, i.e. weekly rates of £1500+

Tesla's UK loaner fleet seems in pretty short supply atm, I think they keep selling them :). My car had some warranty work done and Tesla rented me a BMW 5 series for a few days.

In terms of charging, my portable EVSE (10A @ 240v) get's around 6 miles per hour charge. I wouldn't want to risk going much higher than 10A on a standard UK wall outlet, because the fuse holders in the plugs get very hot when ran for such a long duration.

The UK cars only ship with a Type-2 cable, because of the grant system here to install free home Type-2 Sockets, so you'd need to make sure you get a UMC or equivalent in the rental.

HTH

Simon

Hi Mike

From a standard plug you get about 8 miles per hour charge. That is your last resort really.

There is a supercharger point in warrington which as you may know is not too far out of manchester on the m62 (still a pain at 15 miles or more if you are east side). Doing about 120-170 miles in 30mins depends if someone else is hooked up to the other charger in the pair.

Alternatively there are loads of other charge points, the 50kW chargers do about 80 miles in 30 mins but thing is you need a £350 adapter. You can go onto the slower ones

Check the map
Map of charging points - Find UK locations - Zap-Map live

Probably the most important thing is getting a car. I know when i asked for an extended test drive they said max of 2 hours due to the supply and demand in the UK. I don't think they have a marketplace like they do in the U.S. so i think you might struggle!

Tesla manchester says coming soon but phone number is : +44 (0)161 884 1098
Tesla knutsford is : +44 (0)15 65 31 8007

I did a quick search and found Tesla Self-Drive Hire Packages - EVision Supercars - which is crazy money.

Some people set up their own charging network and they have a nice community going. Home | TesLowJuice - you never know they might know somebody who is renting out their tesla.

Good luck with your search

Hmmm... Thanks both. 1500ukp a week is a little steep. I'll reach out to TM and see what they say. Doesn't seem hopeful yet. I'll be on west side of MAN, so Warrington / m62 is actually pretty close. Good thought on checking tha out. I guess the mileage will be a lot less too. Again, thanks both... Definitely food for thought

Welcome to TMC, Maff.

I checked that site out a while ago and there were only i3s in the fleet, even though I clicked on some clickbait from a Tesla hire reference. But there is now Tesla pricing. Looks like there is a £20 collection fee and unknown insurance costs. Presumably it is not a fleet car and they have to source it upon request, so availability might be tight.