Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long term service considerations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Routine maintenance for my Prius is way less than $600. I don't think I've ever had an out-of-warranty repair (the cruise-control stalk broke while in warranty, and that's the only repair in the seven years I've owned it). Oil changes twice a year are in the $40 range.

But the Roadster is a LOT more fun to drive, and I expect a high-performance sports car (the quickest off the line on the planet, no less!) to be a lot more expensive to maintain. So I have no complaints about the maintenance cost.

The only maintenance on my electric Xebra is greasing the front (after-market) suspension once a year, and the shop refused to take any money from me for doing that. So more mainstream EVs will cost a lot less to service.

Routine maintenance for my Prius is way less than $600. I don't think I've ever had an out-of-warranty repair (the cruise-control stalk broke while in warranty, and that's the only repair in the seven years I've owned it). Oil changes twice a year are in the $40 range.

I've had some impressive bills from Toyota. 2006 Prius with 95K miles. Routine maint done every 5K. The real question for me is not the first few years, but what about 5+? In theory the motor should last a long time, and the battery we all know will be replaced at some point. I'm thinking the maint costs averaged over 10 years (including new battery) are comparable to any 'luxury' German brand, and likely much more than a basic Prius.

The inside tine on my cup holder broke. $175, not a covered benefit of the warranty.
I decided not to fix it... living on the edge, baby!
The Roadster's cup holder looks utterly worthless to me. I would not trust it to keep a cup in place when I floor the go pedal.

I've had some impressive bills from Toyota. 2006 Prius with 95K miles. Routine maint done every 5K. The real question for me is not the first few years, but what about 5+? In theory the motor should last a long time, and the battery we all know will be replaced at some point. I'm thinking the maint costs averaged over 10 years (including new battery) are comparable to any 'luxury' German brand, and likely much more than a basic Prius.
No car model is 100% without flaws, but Toyota is one of the most reliable, even in spite of recent issues. I expect the hand-built Roadster to be better than average on reliability, but very expensive to repair when problems arise. It goes with the territory when you buy such a vehicle, and I would not have bought it if I didn't feel I could afford that.

Still, there is much less to go wrong with an EV than with a gas car. As for battery replacement, I can afford it if I have to, but one of the selling points of the Roadster for me is that it has double the range I'll ever need. By the time my battery pack has deteriorated below the range I need, I'll probably be too old to drive.

The Roadster's cup holder looks utterly worthless to me. I would not trust it to keep a cup in place when I floor the go pedal.

It works fine, the only reason it's worthless is that my wife prefers to put her leg in that spot.

I've been trying to figure out a way to make some kind of holder for the door sills, that wouldn't get in the way when you get in/out.

Not covered by the warranty!?!
I thought we had a bumper-to-bumper warranty for the first three years. 2010 and later will repair or replace any factory-installed part for 3 years or 36,000 miles. Is your Roadster too old?
That's what I thought; I guess it must be in fine print.
My (2nd) Tesla is a 2010 purchased on 10/31/09 and has 24K miles!

Hah. I already spent a good hour last night checking it out. It's a desktop 3D printer! I have friends here, the husband was totally fascinated ... his wife (my friend), not so much. One of my colleagues has a full-size 3D printer in his shop and I've used that a couple of times when I've needed a part. But this fits on a desktop! (I know, I already said that.)

It's on 'the list', competing with some shoes. :)

Get the shoes.

Here in Seattle, we have places where you can walk in and rent time on at least three different kinds of 3D printer technology, including the impressive powder printing stuff that costs as much as a Roadster. Cathy Saxton used the same rental equipment to make Tom's J1772 charge port bracket - look elsewhere on this site for the official details. Personally, I'd rather rent this kind of equipment than own it, which leaves more of the budget for my actual projects instead of tools.

Hah. I already spent a good hour last night checking it out. It's a desktop 3D printer! I have friends here, the husband was totally fascinated ... his wife (my friend), not so much. One of my colleagues has a full-size 3D printer in his shop and I've used that a couple of times when I've needed a part. But this fits on a desktop! (I know, I already said that.)

Wow, they must be expensive shoes!

P.S. Let's hope Tesla long term service costs stay low..

Last edited: