Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long time lurker, Just placed an order for a 90D!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, first wanted to say thank you so much for this forum in general. I've been lurking here for the past 6 months reading up on everything, almost ordering a 85D back in May. For the past 10 1/2 years I've driven a Prius so upgrading to a 90D wasn't solely about the gas savings as I already do get pretty good range. And the Model S isn't a perfect car by any means, so much so that it did have me holding off for several months before actually placing an hour an hour ago.

My main problems with the Model S back in May were
- 3G service -- now 4G LTE! (can anyone confirm though that it does fallback to 3G if there is no 4G service?)

- No aux-in port and only one Bluetooth device can be active at once (I like to listen to music and audiobooks via an ipod/old phone so I don't get a bazillion notifications inturupting me but still have my main phone ready to answer a call. Sadly there is no ideal solution here I've found yet, but I did test listening to something on bluetooth then switching to the phone if I wanted to use the phone and it worked.. well enough.. not an ideal switchover but I can live with it!)

- 3 year old hardware in the tablet. (I've seen so many of you complain how sluggish the browser is and also have experienced it first hand. I was holding off for the X launch in hopes that this would get upgraded but no real news about that yet.. though still not all X details are there yet. I'm expecting to get the car in Oct, which is after the X's start shipping, so hoping if there IS an upgrade I'll get it too.)

Anyway beyond that the car amazes me in pretty much every other way. Did a lot of research on charging and plan on getting a CHAdeMO Adapter too to help when traveling. Hoping that autopilot becomes available soon since its already being tested but even w/o that the rest of the features of the car are going to make me really happy. I'm going to be out of the country on a cruise from the end of Sept until mid Oct so scheduling everything to be ready so when I get back I'll be able to pick up the car. Really excited!!!

2015-09-02_2048.png

2015-09-02_2038.png

I configured the vehicle as an almost fully loaded 90D. Just left out the air suspension & rear facing seats as I didn't think I'd need either of those. Went for the pano roof, basic 19" wheels for a quiet ride, black nextgen seats, carbon fiber, and the black headliner.

Plans for tomorrow include to start cleaning out the garage to fit a second car, start shopping for insurance and also an electrician to wire up the 240V outlet.

So yeah, again just wanted to say hi and looking forward to being a part of the community both here, and in the Raleigh NC area :)

Cheers,
Urgo

I just did the same thing, almost the exact same car (difference: light grey interior, matte obeche wood interior). I'm still in the week-long pre-commitment period.

Congratulations!

Are you curled up in a fetal position every night having financial panic attacks? Just curious...

I just did the same thing, almost the exact same car (difference: light grey interior, matte obeche wood interior). I'm still in the week-long pre-commitment period.

Congratulations!

Are you curled up in a fetal position every night having financial panic attacks? Just curious...

Haha yes! Congrats to you too! And having panic attacks for sure because after I posted this my accountant got back to me and I apparently misread their email yesterday and need to change things from leasing to lending! Been trying to get a hold of Tesla and not able to reach them. No problem to reach them before I ordered but now after can't get a hold of them lol. I'm sure there won't be an issue but still freaking out because I just want things to work perfectly lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats. You are going to be very happy!

Thanks!! So excited!

Nice!

Just want to note that IMO the only real advantage the 21-inch wheels have is that they come with the ContiSilent tire. They are actually quieter than the 19s you chose. The trade-off, unfortunately is expensive, fast wearing tires; curbed rims; cracked rims and a host of other problems.

But they are much quieter. :D

Nice!

Just want to note that IMO the only real advantage the 21-inch wheels have is that they come with the ContiSilent tire. They are actually quieter than the 19s you chose. The trade-off, unfortunately is expensive, fast wearing tires; curbed rims; cracked rims and a host of other problems.

But they are much quieter. :D

Ah hmm interesting. I think I'll be fine with these but that's actually really good to know.

Hi all, first wanted to say thank you so much for this forum in general. I've been lurking here for the past 6 months reading up on everything, almost ordering a 85D back in May. For the past 10 1/2 years I've driven a Prius so upgrading to a 90D wasn't solely about the gas savings as I already do get pretty good range. And the Model S isn't a perfect car by any means, so much so that it did have me holding off for several months before actually placing an hour an hour ago.

My main problems with the Model S back in May were
- 3G service -- now 4G LTE! (can anyone confirm though that it does fallback to 3G if there is no 4G service?)

I have seen it go to 3G from LTE when in some of the more remote areas of desert out here, slacker seemed to pause longer between songs and nav <seemed> a bit slower, but it was still usable.

Congrats on your order!

I have seen it go to 3G from LTE when in some of the more remote areas of desert out here, slacker seemed to pause longer between songs and nav <seemed> a bit slower, but it was still usable.

Congrats on your order!

Good to know. I had done some searching and didn't see anyone commenting about that. I figured it would though but glad to see it in writing. Thanks!

Okay you win Tesla. Though I didn't upgrade the wheels, I did upgrade the suspension to the smart air suspension in the week waiting period haha. There are a couple places with huge, scrape the bottom of my current car even going at 5mph speed bumps I think this may come in handy for.
2015-09-05_1403.png

Okay you win Tesla. Though I didn't upgrade the wheels, I did upgrade the suspension to the smart air suspension in the week waiting period haha. There are a couple places with huge, scrape the bottom of my current car even going at 5mph speed bumps I think this may come in handy for.
View attachment 93170

Man, I really like that blue, but the wife says it's "too blue" (whatever that means).

Wish there was a deep burgundy, but I thin I'll go for that Titanium...

Man, I really like that blue, but the wife says it's "too blue" (whatever that means).

Wish there was a deep burgundy, but I thin I'll go for that Titanium...

It looks really nice in the pictures but I did see one at the dealership waiting to get picked up and it did look a bit too dark.. basically black. Honestly I'd like it more if it did look like the picture but I think it only does in the right light. I'm okay with that. I'm considering in the future getting it wrapped but I still prefer this over the other options right now.

I really liked the photoshopped images vitaliy made in this post. I'd have ordered either the orange or aqua/teal ones if that was an option.

I took delivery of basically the exact same car / options last week - love it!
Here is the color on a cloudy day:

IMG_8893.jpg

Here it is on a sunny day:

IMG_8903.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I plan on getting the car tinted / expel / opticoat next week. Will post again once it's done.

Attachments

• IMG_8893.JPG
    IMG_8893.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 383
- No aux-in port and only one Bluetooth device can be active at once (I like to listen to music and audiobooks via an ipod/old phone so I don't get a bazillion notifications inturupting me but still have my main phone ready to answer a call. Sadly there is no ideal solution here I've found yet, but I did test listening to something on bluetooth then switching to the phone if I wanted to use the phone and it worked.. well enough.. not an ideal switchover but I can live with it!)

You mean there's no way to connect a phone and media player separately? That's a shame - that's something that's been possible on every car I've ever had with integrated Bluetooth. Often my phone will be connected as a phone but my wife's phone will be the media player so she can do the DJ:ing for the kids :)

For you, though, there's an easy solution, at least if you have an iPhone. Just put it in silent mode and it won't interrupt the music/audiobook with notifications.

I was just about to post that you should get the Active Air Suspension. It has saved my ass (on high driveways/curbs etc), as well as feeling more planted on the highway (when in low mode).

Having had 21s on all my cars, and only recently switching to 19s on my 2 P85s (Rial Luganos) and I don't think I'd get the OE 21s ever again. Too expensive and not enough benefits. (Gonna get 20s on my Model Xes too)

Wow, just wanted to note that I've been keeping a watchful eye on everyone's reports on production time over here and the building of my car seems rather unique compared to what other people are logging. I ordered the car when I posted this thread, on Sept 2nd at about 8pm ET. From that point on it said it would confirm on Sept 9th. I wasn't sure when on the 9th it was going to confirm so I was watching closely the entire day. It finally confirmed just a little after midnight PT on the 10th (confirmation email at 3:19am ET). When I woke up I already had a VIN assigned, and then by 7:30pm ET it already said it was in production. So 0 days from confirmation to production, or 1 day if you want to give Tesla a little bonus time. Less then 24 hours though when looking at it that way. Of all the cars logged in that spreadsheet for this year, over 600, there is only one person that had 1 day from conf to start, two people with 2 days, but I'm the only one with 0 days.

Not sure if its because people are holding off on ordering Model S's until after the X starts shipping or what, but I feel special :)

That said the delivery estimate jumped from October to October-Early November so we'll see what happens. My delivery rep said the reason for Nov is they might be shipping it by train (to North Carolina) which takes a month instead of a week by truck. We'll see! I'm actually out on vacation Sept 28-Oct 13 so we'll see if I get the car before or after. If things keep going this quick I wouldn't be surprised to see it before I leave lol.

Wow, I'm thinking about dumping my MX reservation & getting a 90D, wanted white or pearl but you've got me reconsidering. That blue is a show stopper, contrasts beautifully with the chrome trim. If a vinyl wrap would help with water spotting, hmmmm...