Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long time lurker, soon to purchase MS - looking for feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bit of a lurker on these forums and I can not state enough how informed I have become based on the resources and experiences of other users, so I can't thank most of you enough. In saying that, I have started the waiting game, now that we have sold our main use car and driving our wonderful 2004 Corolla. This leads me to say, I am undecided on what style I would like to buy, or what would be the best model to pursue.

After watching the market via EV-CPO since January and documenting price trends via xls, I have decided on two options

Option 1.
2015 85D ($40,000)
  • 4yr Warranty
  • SAS
  • Next Gen Interior
  • AP1
  • Maybe 21s
Option 2
2016 75D ($45,000)
  • 4yr Warranty
  • Next Gen Interior
  • AP1
  • SAS *Maybe - not a necessity
  • Would like do chrome delete the front nose cone.
I love the updated front look, however, although, it take a while for them to drop to 45k (some have been sold at $47-49). I am planning on buying with 19s and using them for a winter set and purchasing some 21" turbines, since there is an abundance available. I have attached photos of the two styles.

I recognize AP2.0 could be an option for extra $$, however, I would rather avoid FSD until it is mainstream, and I somewhat believe by then we will be purchasing a new Tesla Model Y.

Anyone know major differences in battery and/if degradation is/has happened?
Any advice?

I guess these are the two styles I am aiming for..
upload_2019-3-26_20-59-43-png.390697

upload_2019-3-26_20-59-57-png.390700

*Yes these arent the actual cars, just the body style/rim combination.

I'm pretty new around here but I went through a similar process as you. My vote would be getting the newest one you can afford with the must have options. In your case, that would be option 2, especially since you say you like the updated front end. I'm kind of in the same mindset in terms of AP1 vs AP2 and I think FSD is still many years away from being "good" so I don't worry about it too much as there will probably be better options by then. But it depends on your usage of the car.

I am with you on the facelift version looking much sleeker than the "nosecone" version. I know there are a few aftermarket companies that have been able to retrofit an older MS with a similar front end as the newer version, so that is always an option. But, going through some of the older posts, the hood doesn't line up 100% with the aftermarket fascia like the new version does. It's all up to you! Enjoy!

I am with you on the facelift version looking much sleeker than the "nosecone" version. I know there are a few aftermarket companies that have been able to retrofit an older MS with a similar front end as the newer version, so that is always an option. But, going through some of the older posts, the hood doesn't line up 100% with the aftermarket fascia like the new version does. It's all up to you! Enjoy!
This is what I have found and seeing it from various angles, it doesnt look right.
That first car is actually for sale (90D in CA) $53k.

Also seeing this White 75D with Turbines - the angles, just look more asthetically appealing
upload_2019-4-1_9-56-21.png

The only thing going through my mind now is waiting, and if a 70D with all the options I want come up, under 40k, it would be hard to say no. The only difficult descision is the range on 70D v 85D and degradation?

This is what I have found and seeing it from various angles, it doesnt look right.
That first car is actually for sale (90D in CA) $53k.

Also seeing this White 75D with Turbines - the angles, just look more asthetically appealing
View attachment 392481

The only thing going through my mind now is waiting, and if a 70D with all the options I want come up, under 40k, it would be hard to say no. The only difficult descision is the range on 70D v 85D and degradation?

Degradation doesn't seem to be much of a thing with the older MS variants. Tesla, unlike Nissan and other early "EVs" put in place a thermal management system to ensure that the batteries do not get overheated which can only make this effect worse. Here's a great article that goes more into degradation. Even though it's a few years old, the data is still coming in!