Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long time to sleep, anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my own data pulling python script running. But the car still takes over 2 hours to go to sleep if I turn off the script.

Also even with script running, the car goes to sleep every time in about 2 minutes when away from home.

Yes the car has strong wifi connection when at home. Attached garage. And that answers the other question, the phone is awayal within 20 feet of the car. Maybe the phone Bluetooth connection is keeping the car from sleeping?

I don't really think that is the cause, one the car finally goes to sleep and I wake it up using the phone app or any other method, it goes back to sleep in about 2 minutes.

The issue only happens when the car is out of the house and returns. I already tried both plugged in and unplugged from the charger.. no difference.

I would change your Tesla account password to revoke all previous API access given to previous apps (including your python script). If this is happening every day, most likely this is the cause.

If it happens once in a while, then it's because Tesla HQ is pulling data from your car via the WIFI connection, and those sessions could last up to 2+ hours. You can always try a reset by holding the brake and then holding the two steering wheel buttons to see if that helps.

OP if its bothering you (sounds like it is) try disconnecting wifi while you are at home, and turning off data sharing. The thing I can think of thats different at home for you vs everywhere else, is you likely have your car on wifi while at home, but its likely NOT connecting to wifi everyone else.

The car also knows its "at home" so may be doing some data sharing that it doesnt do in other places.

OP if its bothering you (sounds like it is) try disconnecting wifi while you are at home, and turning off data sharing. The thing I can think of thats different at home for you vs everywhere else, is you likely have your car on wifi while at home, but its likely NOT connecting to wifi everyone else.

The car also knows its "at home" so may be doing some data sharing that it doesnt do in other places.
WiFi disconnected, data sharing off, Bluetooth on both phones off, still the same.

After hearing about emmc problems in old model S, I would prefer to reduce any unnecessary logging to minimum. I just want ECU to be off/sleeping as often as possible. At the minute car is idling for more time than I drive in a day.

Last edited:
Any update on this yet or anybody figure a way around it? My car goes to sleep usually within 11 mins when I am out anywhere but home. I assume I could probably change my home address to some place ill never be to fix it but why? Why does it stay on 2 hours every time I pull up back to home?

My fix was to turn off WiFi. Not in the car because it will just turn itself back on.

You can either forget the network or disable the WLAN on your AP(s). I have my car on its own SSID/WLAN exclusively so I can do this.

I only re-enable it when I see an update available.

Have been experiencing the same issue with car not sleeping although only really started over the last few days and as far as I'm aware nothing changed.

Reading peoples advice I've checked wifi and temporary blocked the car. Within minutes of doing this Teslafi is reporting the car as being asleep. May be coincidental so will monitor it.

• Helpful
Reactions: z06tim
Have been experiencing the same issue with car not sleeping although only really started over the last few days and as far as I'm aware nothing changed.

Reading peoples advice I've checked wifi and temporary blocked the car. Within minutes of doing this Teslafi is reporting the car as being asleep. May be coincidental so will monitor it.
You were correct. It is wifi that is causing the stay awake. I just "forgot" my home network and now the car goes to sleep within 11 minutes when at home as well. I will only connect to wifi when an update download is needed from here on out.

Can you guys define sleep? Exactly how do you know when the car is asleep?
For me I consider my car to be asleep when it honks at me, shuts the mirrors, and everything seems to shut down. That should happen when you're first 40+ feet away.
You also want to make sure that the car doesn't think you're inside. You want to make sure that every door is very securely shut and the trunks are slammed closed too.
When I first got the car I didn't know about this stuff, but I think you had a different issue. I'd find that my kids were leaving their doors very slightly open but not open enough for it to show on the touchscreen. It was driving me crazy lol.

Can you guys define sleep? Exactly how do you know when the car is asleep?
For me I consider my car to be asleep when it honks at me, shuts the mirrors, and everything seems to shut down. That should happen when you're first 40+ feet away.
You also want to make sure that the car doesn't think you're inside. You want to make sure that every door is very securely shut and the trunks are slammed closed too.
When I first got the car I didn't know about this stuff, but I think you had a different issue. I'd find that my kids were leaving their doors very slightly open but not open enough for it to show on the touchscreen. It was driving me crazy lol.

Sleep = when the tesla widget (on an iphone) or the third party tools many use report the car is "asleep". The state you are describing is "turned off" but that doesnt necessarily mean the car is asleep. For example, the car honks at you shuts the mirrors and "everything seems to shut down" when using sentry mode as well, but the car is definitely NOT asleep when sentry mode is being used.

I have an android. So you're saying I can never know if my car is asleep? If I've gone hours without using the car and log into the app it simply says it is parked.
I don't use third party apps.
In the past when I had issues and something was cracked open every so slightly the car wouldn't even get to the point where it turned off. I guess I erroneously called that not going to sleep.

I have an android. So you're saying I can never know if my car is asleep? If I've gone hours without using the car and log into the app it simply says it is parked.
I don't use third party apps.
In the past when I had issues and something was cracked open every so slightly the car wouldn't even get to the point where it turned off. I guess I erroneously called that not going to sleep.

I have no idea if there is a tesla widget for android phones, since my android phone is old and I dont use the tesla app with it. If you dont use third party apps, then its likely that this "issue" as described in this thread is not something that would concern you. It sleeps when it wants to sleep, after It finishes doing "what tesla wants it to do". You are talking about an extra bit of time not asleep, so a bit more power used, but nothing that would likely concern you since you are not using monitoring tools to track every little bit of energy already.

Reactions: toolman335