Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Trip Charging management - Help needed for a newbie

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TriManCT

Dec 17, 2020
CT
We are leaving from Myrtle Beach to Central Connecticut. The total trip is about 762 miles. Per ABPR, it has me stopping 5 times and not traveling more than 137 miles between super chargers. I feel that I can eliminate 1 or at least 2 stops if I arrive at 10-15% battery and charge up to 90-95 percent. I have a Model Y Long range. Any assistance would be helpful.

There are so many variables that effect real world range (driving speed, outside temperature, wind speed/direction, cabin climate control, etc). I usually get better range than ABRP predicts but in a couple cases have gotten worse. One thing that works consistently is the in car estimate for arrival SOC which updates as you drive based on actual conditions. I would just watch that during your trip and adjust where you stop to charge based on that. You can easily select different supercharger destinations as you drive to see what SOC you’d arrive at.

• Helpful
Reactions: KerryOH and jpfive
ABRP tends to minimize overall trip time, which usually means stopping more often to charge and staying below 80% for fastest charge rates.

be sure to use the long stop option if you are stopping for a meal and want to charge higher, up to 100%

Reactions: jpfive
You can probably do it your way and eliminate a stop or two BUT, abetterrouteplanner optimizes for least amount of time and keeps the battery in the range where it will charge the fastest. You will find that your stops take a lot longer if you're waiting to charge up to 90% vs what abrp is suggesting.

Reactions: jpfive
There are so many variables that effect real world range (driving speed, outside temperature, wind speed/direction, cabin climate control, etc). I usually get better range than ABRP predicts but in a couple cases have gotten worse. One thing that works consistently is the in car estimate for arrival SOC which updates as you drive based on actual conditions. I would just watch that during your trip and adjust where you stop to charge based on that. You can easily select different supercharger destinations as you drive to see what SOC you’d arrive at.

Thanx for this. I made my first long trip (675 miles) earlier this week, using the Tesla Navigator system, not ABRP. The percentage, miles and energy data was all over the place. I did notice the predicted SOC percentage in Navigator change as I drove - in fact, it got better as I drove. The initial SOC was a predicted 5%, and I was too chicken to try that, so I stopped at an earlier SC. On the way back, I reduced speed from 75 to 70, and noticed a huge difference as the predicted SOC improved greatly.

Next time on that route, I'll try 70 mph and try to make the SC that is further away. Hey - I'm retired - I'm in no hurry.

I did a 1,000 mile road trip around CA back in October with a lot of destination driving. I sat on ABRP for a week and adjusted settings, had three different routes planned, different SOC, etc. When we finally got on the road, I threw it all out the window and just had fun. When we wanted to stop for food, or use the restroom, or shop, I hit the button and navigated to the nearest supercharger that made the most sense. If I got below 30%ish, we'd stop somewhere and recharge. It was so simple and I regret ever having anxiety about it.

My only piece of advice when road-tripping in a Tesla...You cannot plan your trip by the minute like you did in an ICE car. If you're traveling that far and telling yourself "we'll be there at 5pm", it won't happen. There are far too many variables when you have to charge multiple times during a trip.

I found just put in your final destination look at the estimates for time then click on the recommended next Supercharger, route to it, the car will prepare for supercharging. Go use the restroom, get a snack, clean your windshield, get back on the road. AND REPEAT...
If the next supercharger is really far, wait longer then recommended so you don't think you will run out of energy.
After watching Kyle's Out of Spec videos, I feel much more confident. He pushes way further then I ever would.