Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long trip planning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello friends,
I am planning a long trip next weekend with multiple stops. From Kingsland, Ga to North Chicago, IL. Stopping in Pigeon Forge, TN for couple of days and then in Indianapolis, IN for a day. Do you think, I should take my Tesla X 90D( delivery taken only couple of weeks ago) OR stick with Gasoline car? The longest drive, I have made so far in Model X is 200 miles and got range anxiety as it was telling me to drive below 70 to reach destination in last 80 miles and showing possible leftover charge of 8%. I drove accordingly and made home with 9% charge. But it was scary as there was no supercharger in between. Need some advise to overcome this anxiety issue for this long trip. Thanks in advance.

I'd personally take the gas car. I recently completed a trip with 2 supercharger stops in my X 90D and it's rather annoying to say the least. Not to mention one of the super chargers was closed so I had to go out of my way to charge just to make sure I get home. I'm used to driving 5-6 hours on a full tank of gas without any stops. Just my 2 cents though.

• Disagree
Reactions: kort677
The best way to overcome range anxiety is to drive the car on a long trip. Use EV Trip Planner to get an idea of the route and stops necessary to make the trip. Once on the trip, use the navigation app to route you through the superchargers and charge for the recommended interval (plus 10%). Stick with the posted speed limits and the only other variables are temperature and wind. Use the "Usage" app with the Trip tab to see the predicted battery consumption for the current let of the trip. As you travel, the predicted consumption will adjust to the current driving conditions and you can gain confidence that you'll make your destination -- or adjust your driving accordingly.

I would say take it. A quick look on Supercharge.info shows that there are plenty of well spaced Superchargers along the route (most 100 miles or less apart). I'd suggest you use Supercharge.info to plan out your route rather than depend on the NAV system. It should be a nice drive in an X.

I've done 2 cross country trips in my previous S, another down the East coast from NJ to Key West and then across to Texas and back, one from NJ to Omaha and back and never had a problem. 69,500 miles in 3 years and 3 months. Just plan it before you set off.

Reactions: xkwizit and ecrsail
I highly recommend taking your Model X P90D. It's a great road trip car. I recently completed a 6300+ mile road trip throughout the western US visiting remote areas (national parks and forests) as well as urban areas (Boulder, Seattle, San Francisco, among others). Range anxiety lasted one day. Plan your trip and you'll find you enjoy it more and you'll realize you really can take your X anywhere.

Oh, btw, my avatar picture is my X on a dirt road in north central Oregon on the way to Mt Hood.

Reactions: xkwizit
I second what @Phil Seastrand said. Use EV Trip Planner to get an idea. We did a 2100mile 7day road trip primarily supercharging and destination charging. We drove speed limit plus 9mph as we used to do in ICE cars.

As for range anxiety I think it's only in the beginning but I can say from our experience that high temps 100+ and headwinds suck up energy and these are not factors that any trip planner can forecast. So we always charged to reach the next charging point with about 20% and a couple of times we reached with 6 to 7%. So always good to keep that margin.

Also, as compared to road trips in an ICE car, once you wrap your brain around the idea of stopping every 200miles or so to charge and relax for half an hour, you arrive definitely more relaxed/less fatigued.

And though most superchargers are spread 100miles apart, check th PlugShare app and you will see other charging stations en route.

Check out the sticky road trip thread

Also, as compared to road trips in an ICE car, once you wrap your brain around the idea of stopping every 200miles or so to charge and relax for half an hour, you arrive definitely more relaxed/less fatigued.

This is most definitely true and not just because stopping for 15-20 minutes every ~2.5 hours is a good idea but also because of the driver assist features (aka auto pilot)!

We all had our first rodeo. The only way to gain confidence and understanding is to do it. We all learn differently, so what works for me might not work for you. But there are ample tools out there to assist in planning your journey. Take your UMC with you, as you might stop somewhere for an overnight or two and you can trickle charge while you sleep. You can gain 30+ miles overnight which might help with your next day's itinerary.

I also suggest if you have not already to download PlugShare on your smart phone. It shows all the public charging available along your route. You never know if where you will be stopping for a spell if there is a public charger available. Even those 30A public stations can add 16-20 miles of range per hour!

Finally, always have a plan B. Unexpected events occur that are beyond our control. When we drive ICE, there is always another gas station at the next exit. But once in a while, a Supercharger is off line for some reason, or you encounter a detour along your way, so that presumed 165-mile leg turns into 200+.

Reactions: xkwizit
One more question..
I am taking a long item for the trip and need to push the 2nd raw seat all the way up as much as they can go. When I try to drive in this condition, it gives me a warning about latching the seats before driving. Will it be okay to drive? If I latch the seats, the long item will not fit. No one is going to be seating there except the front raw seats. Advise please!!!!!

One more question..
I am taking a long item for the trip and need to push the 2nd raw seat all the way up as much as they can go. When I try to drive in this condition, it gives me a warning about latching the seats before driving. Will it be okay to drive? If I latch the seats, the long item will not fit. No one is going to be seating there except the front raw seats. Advise please!!!!!
Other than some annoying beeps and warning message on the screen it will let you drive. I had to do that once myself.

You've received great advice on this page.

I've taken my X on 8 750+ mile trips since owning. I've found the vehicle to be an awesome traveller and although trip is longer with the X, you will be much more refreshed than taking an ICE vehicle. Trips at high speed will lower your range significantly but if you travel at 75-77 you will get reasonable range loss (20-25%). EV planner helps a lot ( I use P85 19" wheels ) and pre-plan your trip to ease anxiety (after awhile it will be second nature). System software will ping you when you are projected to come in less than 10% but I've found that 8-9% is nothing to worry about and that my speed could stay higher.

Best of luck......stopped many times at Kingsland charger and enjoyed the hospitality......

You've received great advice on this page.

I've taken my X on 8 750+ mile trips since owning. I've found the vehicle to be an awesome traveller and although trip is longer with the X, you will be much more refreshed than taking an ICE vehicle. Trips at high speed will lower your range significantly but if you travel at 75-77 you will get reasonable range loss (20-25%). EV planner helps a lot ( I use P85 19" wheels ) and pre-plan your trip to ease anxiety (after awhile it will be second nature). System software will ping you when you are projected to come in less than 10% but I've found that 8-9% is nothing to worry about and that my speed could stay higher.

Best of luck......stopped many times at Kingsland charger and enjoyed the hospitality......
Thanks x Fan. Appreciate your inputs too.
I own Hawthorn Suites in Kingsland, GA. Next time come visit me please when you pass by.

Other than some annoying beeps and warning message on the screen it will let you drive. I had to do that once myself.
hmm, I thought that Tesla had a "Cargo Mode" for the X, where the 2nd row is moved all the way forward and 3rd row is folded down.
The way I understood it, this was an option/setting on the main screen (MCU)...
Our X is in production right now, so I am only speaking from our time playing with the X at the Service Center.

Pay close attention to the winds. Head winds will seriously effect your range. 15mph headwind and driving at 70mph = driving at 85 mph. My calculation is to plan on arriving with 20% as indicated by the Trip graph. If there are winds, I'd make that 30%.

I've driven 75k miles in both a MS and an MX over the past 4 years.

hmm, I thought that Tesla had a "Cargo Mode" for the X, where the 2nd row is moved all the way forward and 3rd row is folded down.
The way I understood it, this was an option/setting on the main screen (MCU)...
Our X is in production right now, so I am only speaking from our time playing with the X at the Service Center.
As of the most recent update, we are still waiting for this elusive "Cargo Mode" to appear.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
I own Hawthorn Suites in Kingsland, GA. Next time come visit me please when you pass by.

No Tesla HPWC at the Hawthorn? You know Tesla will give you one for free, right? I realize the Supercharger is close-by, but some might rather charge overnight while they sleep. Also, being that you're an EV owner, I would think you would install a J1772 charger to attract other EV owners.