Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long trip scenario. Which is better charge situation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took a 250 mile round trip in my new long range MY. I avoided charging to 100% and instead charged to 90% the night before. When getting home, I was left with 6%. There was some traffic.

I have heard it’s not great to charge to 100% too often but also not good to run close to empty. In my situation would it have been better for battery to charge to 100% then end with 15%? I guess the question is - what is worse for battery preservation - charging to full or running close to empty?

Charging it to 100% and keeping it idle is not advisable. You should drive it soon after it reaches 100% . Example - you charge it to 90 % over night and before your trip bump it up to 100% and drive soon after. regular driving and letting the charge go below 10% is also not advisable. Once in a while it is Ok and it will NOT harm the battery. 90% and 10% and both best practice guidance, but please read the manual and follow Tesla's guidance.

Reactions: LoudMusic
I just took a 250 mile round trip in my new long range MY. I avoided charging to 100% and instead charged to 90% the night before. When getting home, I was left with 6%. There was some traffic.

I have heard it’s not great to charge to 100% too often but also not good to run close to empty. In my situation would it have been better for battery to charge to 100% then end with 15%? I guess the question is - what is worse for battery preservation - charging to full or running close to empty?
2013 answer: Better to be at 100% than 0%. "Never, ever hesitate to use 100% Charge. Ever.":

Rule #1 – Use 100% Charge

Reactions: LoudMusic