Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Trips ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Im thinking of buying a Tesla but Im concerned about the ease of making trips to Miami or the east and west coast beaches. I go to one or the other almost monthly.

Can any of you share your experiences please?

1- Do you have to worry a bit and plan ahead to try and charge your car at the Tesla Service stations when you visit Tampa area? Are they 24/7 or only during working hours?

2- I think they opened a super-chager near New Smyrna (if I'm not mistaken) - any experience there? Do you have to plan to spend a couple of hours at the station or longer so you're Fully charged and safe to go back?

3- St. Port Lucie/Fort Pierce Super-charger - HOW long does it really take to charge? Have there been any problems? The website clearly says charge time slows down after 75-80% is charged. It could take almost an hour (55min) or MORE to get 170 miles worth of charge …… So what is your experience

4- Once you get to Miami (or wherever you went) And you're half full again - NOW WHAT ?
How do you drive around with peace of mind? Can you charge easily in Miami? or Orlando? or Tampa/St Pete ?
Even if someone is kind enough to lend you a HPWC - apart from the embarrassment and awkwardness of having to bother them - It is still going to take several hours until the car is Full again..

I do not have a second gas car I can use for trips so these questions are really important for me.
Please provide any honest feedback you can.

Either I order my Tesla now or I get something else and order the Tesla a few years later when HOPEFULLY things will be easier. Just please tell me how hard it is.

DO YOUR WIVES COMPLAIN DURING TRIPS ?? (Me being a 31 female I would be able to relate to them much better! I really want to know! )

Thanks for your feedback :)

The supercharger is in port orange, just north of new Smyrna. You'll unfortunately take I4 north to Daytona before I95 south, and getting off 5 miles down the road in port orange to charge if you go that route, rather than across to cocoa and south or Florida turnpike... I never drove the turnpike, but if you can make port orange to fort pierce I'd think there would be no reason you couldn't make it to fort pierce from Orlando without charging.

my wife loves the car. We spend about 2.5 hours or more in it daily to get too and from work. She didn't go on the only long trip with me, but she loves it.

It's only 120-140 mi from Orlando to Port St Lucie so this should be no problem even in a MS 60. No need to go via Port Orange.

I believe if you order now, you will have all the charging options you will need (based on your travel scenarios) by the time you take delivery. If not mistaken, the Tampa supercharger is already underway.

And yes, it only takes an hour or less for a full charge. In an MS 60 that's about 200 mi of range (probably closer to 170 mi at typical highway speeds).

My experience has been that you'll only need about 40-50 mi of range for an average day of driving around your destination. Assuming you'll be staying overnight at least one night, you should always plan to stay somewhere that provides an option for charging. Level 2 or above would be preferable, but even 110V could be worth an overnight charge. I think this is less of a concern if your destination city has a supercharger (Tampa).
As far as Miami, if you get a full charge in Port St Lucie, you'll only use about 100 mi of range to get to Miami with enough left to drive around or find a level 2 charger (use PlugShare.com) to get enough to get you thru the day. Again, always have a way to charge overnight. There is a Tesla store on Lincoln Rd in Miami so there might be a charging option there.

Larry Chanin posted on the Florida topic area that there is credible information stating that Tesla is already working to place Superchargers at the Turkey Lake and Ft Drumm plazas along the turnpike within the next 6 months.

Go for it. You won't regret it.

Last edited:
I cannot help you with your trips, I can tell you that I just drove from NJ to FL using the SCs and as long as you keep to the speed limits in order to not burn too much "juice" the stops at the SCs are usually about 30 minutes to top off to an 80% charge which is almost 200 miles of range, to do a 100% charge would take 60-70 minutes and unless you are going to a place with limited charging choices you will rarely need to get to 100%. these times are not rock solid, meaning that under certain conditions the SCs could be slower.
driving any BEV will require more planning than using an ICE but once you get acclimated to life with your car you will get to know it's range and quirks and the experience cannot be beat.
YMMV

Hi Xeni,
We live in Orlando and have had our P85 for 14 months. The Best car ever.
1. You do have to think about charging whenever you are away from home overnight. 200 miles per charge is easily doable in our car with a range charge but 260 miles would be unlikely. So going to Tampa and back is not an issue in an 85 unless your driving a lot in Tampa.

2-3. I have been to the port orange and port st Lucie chargers and they are 24/7 and work well.
Charging - With 5mi of rated range, I added 100miles in 16 min. Enough to get home from port orange. With 10 miles of rated range it took 1 hr to fully range charge in CT.

4. If your destinations involve constant driving in the city you need to plan. It is pretty easy to find places to charge if you have time to park at a charger. Overnight is pretty easy to find a charger or even 110 plug. Miami, Orlando, and jacksonville
will have relatively close superchargers depending in where you are but Tampa not really.
In general the telsa stores are very helpful during business hours but not when closed.

I find in its very little compromise for my lifestyle and travel but if you're in sales and travel for work, etc then it's probably not convenient enough yet

are you looking to get the MS60 or MS85? the battery size will help ease any anxiety. I have an MS60 and when I take a trip where there are no SCs available, I have to plan out all contingency plans of where chargers are located (using Plugshare/Recargo), and also to plug into the 110v wherever I can.

Thank you all for your feedback and encouragment. It does put me at ease. :)
Thankfully I don't travel for work but I do like to have my freedom to drive around during road trips.
Truth be told I don't WANT any other car anymore!
Im planning on getting the 85Kwh ..