Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long wait times for Service (Tesla + other)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh my gosh the incompetence of Tesla service is a wonder to behold.

1st as stated above they said it was the drive unit. Made an appointment to come back 4 weeks later and said it would take 3 days to fix. I bring to appointment. 3 days later they extend to 10 days. 10 days go by... 3 weeks go by... No info, no movement, no nothing. Finally 3.5 weeks in I show up in person and they say its third in line to come into the shop (and I believe them because the car was directly out front). To their credit, they did pull it in that night and look at it. Then they say, nope, not drive unit, just bad tires. I say, I doubt it, but let's try new tires to rule that out. 2 days later new tires go on. This morning I go in for a test drive. The service advisor rides with me. The sound is still there. He agrees there is a sound, but says its definitely not the drive unit. Says he's heard the drive unit sound before and that's not it. Says its a wheel bearing or hub or something like that. So at this point I'm $1,600 ($1,400 tires and $200 diagnosis fees) and nearly 4 weeks in for them to figure out that no, its not the drive unit now even though they agreed it was to begin with and its obviously not the tires. So the first tech could have saved me $1,600 and 4 weeks without my car by not saying it was the drive unit to begin with...

To be honest, I still think its the drive unit. It is definitely possible that it's a wheel bearing, but the sound seems like its coming from near the center of the rear of the car, not the corners. In any case, I just paid and brought it home. No value in having them throw more parts at the car on my dime when they obviously cannot say with any certainty where the sound is coming from.

I will say that other than the noise, the car was an absolute joy to drive home...

In other news, I dropped off my 2022 Nissan Leaf at the dealer for intermittent power steering problems where the power steering cuts off completely in the middle of turning. Being that it's intermittent, and while it was becoming significantly more frequent, it has been less frequent the last two days, I'm not sure if they will be able to diagnose it. Will be interesting to compare their service to Tesla. Honestly I'm not optimistic they will do much better with one exception and that is I think they will identify whether or not they are able to diagnose the issue much faster than Tesla. But I'm about 50/50 on whether they will diagnose and fix it.