Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Way Up movie - electric motorcycle trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just saw the trailer for the upcoming movie "Long Way Up" where Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman take an electric motorcycle trip from the tip of South America to LA. They've done other movies where they ride gas motorcycles around the world and they were interesting and funny. Anyone else looking forward to their new documentary?
Here's our best look yet at Ewan McGregors 13,000 mile electric Harley trip

Reactions: house9
There were several references to this on the Rivian thread(s) because those were the support vehicles. I'm hoping this is an interesting show and not the normal reality TV garbage where I can watch a 1 hour show in less than 10 minutes as I skim over all the fluff. So far, I've been pretty pleased with the content available on Apple TV+.

After watching the first three episodes of this show, I think it is entertaining, visually beautiful, worth seeing. I have to say that it is not going to encourage people to adopt electric travel though. As much as the people in the show want to promote electric, they promote range anxiety big time. They begin in freezing weather, and so their vehicles get much less range than predicted, and both the bikes and Rivian trucks get stranded out of charge on the first day. The bikes struggle to get any charge repeatedly, and the show becomes a lot about charging and range, less about traveling through the spectacular environment. I will be interested to hear other opinions. I am looking forward to seeing more of the show as it comes out.

Reactions: heems and chrstna4
I felt the same way after the first three episodes. I saw in the interview with Charlie that there was supposed to be a network of chargers but that didn’t seem to happen in those episodes. They also started in such a remote place so the electrical grid was so fragile and scarce. I’m hoping charging is shown to be easier as they go along - it seems like they could’ve planned the charging better and should have known that cold would decrease range. They also have bikes from Harley Davison who made things up for them so it wasn’t fully tested and able to have the issues worked out. When it’s remote with limited charging capabilities, range anxiety is needed and more care needed to be taken. People thinking about switching to EV are always posting on Reddit about range fears and that it will take too long to charge on long trips. It is a change in attitude and habits to travel in an EV - more planning is needed to charge and time food/comfort breaks during charging. If you watched the previous two docuseries these two did, they also had issues on gas bikes so I’m hoping people don’t just blame issues on the electric bikes/trucks.

Hope to watch it today. thanks for the link. The trailer shows this to be very challenging. I use to always read the ride reports on ADV. From the many stories, there was one that stuck out from a rider mid life taking a trip to South America. He did have many challenges but he would often fix his issues, get back on the bike and mention onward.I was inspired to find another bike and do the same after several years of not riding due to an accident.
onward.JPG

I felt the same way after the first three episodes. I saw in the interview with Charlie that there was supposed to be a network of chargers but that didn’t seem to happen in those episodes..
I don't like to say this but the more I read about issues with EA and now here, I just wonder if the hype and let down are by design. I feel as if there may be and entity to sabotage the EV movement.

Did you ever watch “Who Killed the Electric Car?” It’s been a long time since I saw it (made in 2006) so I don’t remember the details of it but EVs threaten an established business model for many corporations. IMHO, the reason EVs are more than a novelty car now is because Tesla created the network of fast chargers and made it possible to go long distances with limited inconvenience. When I see information on the limited range of some current EVs from traditional car companies, it seems to me they don’t get it yet but maybe that’s by design. Tesla has opened their patents in the past so more EVs could be created but I didn’t see traditional companies creating long range vehicles with fast charging capabilities until just recently when more are being announced. Even so, those will be limited by the availability of fast charging and public opinion about EVs will retain the “it won’t work for me” mentality.

Great show. Really entertaining and visually stunning. Electric motorcyles have really limited range and I like the challenge and dedication. It's pretty neat. Those Rivian were basically the first ones to be hand built for the show. Overall, I think it's really cool. If they can make it through Patagonia, they can make it anywhere in North America. ;)

Reactions: chrstna4
I don't like to say this but the more I read about issues with EA and now here, I just wonder if the hype and let down are by design. I feel as if there may be and entity to sabotage the EV movement.

I don't think this is an EA charger issue. The show promoted that Rivian had built its own network of charging stations along the route for the series, but the first 3 episodes that network isn't anywhere to be seen.

Here’s the link to the Apple web page about the show. I’ve watched all the available episodes so far. Apple TV+ unveils first look at “Long Way Up,” starring Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman

After riding motorcycles east in 2004 from London to New York in “Long Way Round” and south in 2007 from Scotland to Cape Town in “Long Way Down”, friends Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman decided to do a trip from Ushuaia to Los Angeles in 2019. But this time they wanted to try doing it with EVs, and decided to use prototype Harley Davidson “LiveWire” bikes and prototype Rivian trucks, which is the part that I thought might intrigue you.

If you don’t have access to Apple TV+ you won’t be able to view the show, though perhaps in the future it will be available through other channels.

I heard about their trip last year during filming and I thought it sounded a bit insane; they were using prototype EVs in a part of the world that barely has an electric infrastructure and where the roads can be marginal at best. How will they handle breakdowns (because there will be breakdowns) and charging?

It turns out that Rivian installed over 150 Juicebox L2 chargers along the route (according to the show) though apparently not enough to cover many segments of the trip, particularly in remote parts of Patagonia where there is no grid at all (I’ve spent some time in Patagonia and that is definitely the case). There was also a gas-powered support van with a generator and some solar panels on the roof. Harley provided a portable charger of some type (it is not really explained). And the Rivians were configured to provide V2G in such a way that the bikes could be plugged into the trucks, I think. It is unclear whether that was possible while the trucks were charging or only when they were off grid.

But the riders and the team started out the trip laughably unprepared with seemingly only a minimal knowledge of the basics of EV charging. And even more incredibly, Harley shipped the two bikes to Ushuaia with an L1 charging capability that was so unreliable they advised against even using it, instead giving the riders an L2 (I think) charger that was so large it could not be mounted to the bikes (on some days the bike riders would be on their own with no support team). The look on Ewan McGregor’s face when it was presented to him was one of total incredulity. The start of the ride was delayed by several days for Harley to ship an undescribed part to the team to install after which the company representatives decided that L1 charging would work satisfactorily. Very odd.

Of course L1 charging the 15.5kWh battery in the bike would take a long time at 120V and maybe 12A at best, as the riders soon found out. They had only spent about an hour with the bikes in Milwaukee before the trip and seemed to know nothing about charging times if one is to believe the portrayal in the film, and neither did the support team that was traveling with them. The result was the first several days of the trip, during winter in Patagonia, they had all kinds of problems. They had no idea as to how cold temperatures would effect charge rates and they struggled to do even 100 miles in a day.

In addition, the two Rivians are portrayed as being barely prototypes that were finished just in time and did not have any level of serious road testing before being shipped to Ushuaia (a place my wife and I have spent a few days in, by the way; “unremarkable” would be the kindest description). Their center consoles had a big box with massive colored buttons for functions like gear selection and controlling charging. Nothing like what a finished vehicle would look like and the production team members who drove them during the trip had no EV experience beforehand.

All of this resulted in a comedy of errors and miscalculations. So far only the first 6 episodes are available, but during those episodes they have managed to make it to Bolivia and according to online descriptions of the show they did get to Los Angeles.

I suspect that the film editors did their best to make the bikes and trucks look their best, and McGregor and Boorman did like the way the bikes rode, but plenty of difficulties are portrayed, and probably plenty were left out. One that was shown, and my favorite so far, was when one of the trucks rear brakes locked up and it would not move. They took the wheel off and tried to force the caliper off the disc. I’m thinking “It’s probably a software glitch and if you do free that caliper you will destroy the brake”. Eventually they figure out how to reboot the vehicle and the caliper disengages.

Despite all their travails, I found the show very entertaining because McGregor and Boorman are such good sports, love each other’s company, are respectful and appreciative of the people they meet along the way, and deeply enjoy the adventure. Plus they are clearly onboard with the EV movement. I look forward to watching future episodes.

Here’s the link to the Apple web page about the show. I’ve watched all the available episodes so far. Apple TV+ unveils first look at “Long Way Up,” starring Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman

It turns out that Rivian installed over 150 Juicebox L2 chargers along the route (according to the show) though apparently not enough to cover many segments of the trip, particularly in remote parts of Patagonia where there is no grid at all (I’ve spent some time in Patagonia and that is definitely the case). There was also a gas-powered support van with a generator and some solar panels on the roof. Harley provided a portable charger of some type (it is not really explained). And the Rivians were configured to provide V2G in such a way that the bikes could be plugged into the trucks, I think. It is unclear whether that was possible while the trucks were charging or only when they were off grid.

But the riders and the team started out the trip laughably unprepared with seemingly only a minimal knowledge of the basics of EV charging. And even more incredibly, Harley shipped the two bikes to Ushuaia with an L1 charging capability that was so unreliable they advised against even using it, instead giving the riders an L2 (I think) charger that was so large it could not be mounted to the bikes (on some days the bike riders would be on their own with no support team). The look on Ewan McGregor’s face when it was presented to him was one of total incredulity. The start of the ride was delayed by several days for Harley to ship an undescribed part to the team to install after which the company representatives decided that L1 charging would work satisfactorily. Very odd.

Interesting, when I first heard about the show, I kind of thought using one of the Zero adventure bikes would be a better fit for this than Harley's Livewire, but assumed Livewire got the edge because its the only motorcycle with DC-fast charging, odd to see they didn't try to create a network that would take advantage/show off that perk. (though I'm not naive that corporate sponsorship was probably the big motivating factor behind Livewires)

The Zero gets a touch more range (10 miles for the DSR, which is the adventure series), but if you opt for the 18kwh battery it gets almost 50 miles more range. But the Livewire can DC fast charge in 40 minutes, the Zero is limited to level 2 charging, which for a road trip WOULD make a pretty significant difference, except going by ecarfan's write up it doesn't appear they are using any DC fast charging on the show.

Also, the livewire's they are using are also like.y modified from the commercial versions, so I'm sure the modified versions are eking out even more range (though I'm sure Zero would have been happy to perform similar modifications).

I'm enjoying the show quite a bit. I don't know much about that part of the world so it's really cool to see the beautiful scenery and the snippets into the local cultures.

I was checking out the Harley Livewire website and it looks like it's either Level 1 or Level 3 charging. Level 2 charges at Level 1 speeds! I think that's bonkers. I'm sure there's a technical reason for it, but wow. Level 2 would be so helpful during a 1-hour lunch stop on a long trip.

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 10.55.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 10.54.31 AM.png

• Informative
I was checking out the Harley Livewire website and it looks like it's either Level 1 or Level 3 charging. Level 2 charges at Level 1 speeds! I think that's bonkers. I'm sure there's a technical reason for it, but wow. Level 2 would be so helpful during a 1-hour lunch stop on a long trip
That’s amazing. I think legacy companies struggle with making vehicles viable for long distance travel. Maybe they don’t see EVs as more than in-town vehicles. Or maybe they don’t want people to stop buying ICE vehicles and have to shift their business plan to meet the future. It does give small EV companies space to take the forefront and build a successful company for people who are ready for only owning/using EVs.

Just started watching this. I'm on episode two but it's brought up some questions which is why I sought this thread out:

1) Does Claudio have an Electric Harley? I get the impression he's riding a normal gas powered bike. They're being very careful to not show him or his bike and anytime I see charging I'm only seeing Ewan's and Charley's Electric Harleys.

2) When they talked about going electric in Episode 1, they made no mention whatsoever of Tesla at all! Instead they went to Rivian and got two trucks that had to be custom built for them. I wonder if they tried Tesla early on and were rebuffed? Does Tesla not want any media after the Top Gear disaster years ago? During the episode I could only think the team would've been much better off driving a couple of Model X's.