Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Longer charging cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks. I have a nema 10-30 in my garage that I want to use however I’m about 25 feet away from the outlet to the charging door. I know the mobile connector only comes in a 20’ length. Is there an extension to that available or is there a third party charger with a longer cable length you’d recommend?

Thanks in advance!

I see two options:
Out of the two options, the Tesla extension cord is probably the "safest". By that I mean that the thermal sensor that's built into the NEMA 10-30 adapter for the Mobile Connector is where it's supposed to be; as close as possible to the 10-30 outlet. The AC extension cord is of course the cheaper solution but that also means a possibly lower charge rate, due to the voltage drop that may result in the extension, and as mentioned earlier, the relocation of the thermal sensor away from the source outlet. If you do go the route of the AC extension be sure NOT to coil up the cord; stretch it out. This lowers the possibility of it heating up more than "normal".

I don't know of a third party EVSE solution but there has to be one out there. Is it not possible to re-locate the 10-30 outlet closer to the vehicle?

I see two options:
Out of the two options, the Tesla extension cord is probably the "safest". By that I mean that the thermal sensor that's built into the NEMA 10-30 adapter for the Mobile Connector is where it's supposed to be; as close as possible to the 10-30 outlet. The AC extension cord is of course the cheaper solution but that also means a possibly lower charge rate, due to the voltage drop that may result in the extension, and as mentioned earlier, the relocation of the thermal sensor away from the source outlet. If you do go the route of the AC extension be sure NOT to coil up the cord; stretch it out. This lowers the possibility of it heating up more than "normal".

I don't know of a third party EVSE solution but there has to be one out there. Is it not possible to re-locate the 10-30 outlet closer to the vehicle?
Thanks! That Tesla extension cord would work, but I really only need 5 additional feet. I was thinking about using an 8 gauge extension cord, but wasn’t sure if that would be safe and reliable.

I could likely move the outlet, but it would be difficult given access to under the house. If I could find a 25 foot evse, I’d prefer to go that route. Amazon has a couple but they’re from brands I’ve never heard of.

Out of the two options, the Tesla extension cord is probably the "safest". By that I mean that the thermal sensor that's built into the NEMA 10-30 adapter for the Mobile Connector is where it's supposed to be; as close as possible to the 10-30 outlet.
Yes, that is true. Wire screw in connections in the back of an outlet seem to be a frequent weak point, so you keep that safety feature.
The AC extension cord is of course the cheaper solution but that also means a possibly lower charge rate, due to the voltage drop that may result in the extension,
What? No, that doesn't make any sense. Either method would be adding more length and resistance to it. It would be susceptible to voltage drop the same either way, not more so from the 10-30 extension.

If it were me, I probably would just go with a 10-30 extension. If it's something pretty small, like 10 or 15 feet, you're not adding much resistance from length. It's just extra connection points. But since this is only 24A charging, it's not that bad anyway.

Thanks! That Tesla extension cord would work, but I really only need 5 additional feet. I was thinking about using an 8 gauge extension cord, but wasn’t sure if that would be safe and reliable.

I could likely move the outlet, but it would be difficult given access to under the house. If I could find a 25 foot evse, I’d prefer to go that route. Amazon has a couple but they’re from brands I’ve never heard of.
Some brands that I'm familiar with that may have a 10-30 solution: ChargePoint, Clipper Creek, Lectron

Note that a 10-30 plug is probably not as popular as a 14-50 but if you've run an Amazon search already, those companies may have popped up.
The AC extension cord is of course the cheaper solution but that also means a possibly lower charge rate, due to the voltage drop that may result in the extension,
What? No, that doesn't make any sense. Either method would be adding more length and resistance to it. It would be susceptible to voltage drop the same either way, not more so from the 10-30 extension.
Are all EVSEs the same in that they simply pass through the incoming AC voltage directly to the car? With no conditioning, besides the obvious inclusion of relay(s) or some other method to switch the voltage on and off?

I'm assuming this is all inside the garage? If so, you could always run conduit on the wall to change the location of the outlet. Then you don't have to worry about crawling under the house, or opening walls. Also, that way, you can put it in the most convenient spot and won't have to be either constantly coiling and uncoiling a long cord, or leaving one draped across the garage.

20190528_110136.jpg

Are all EVSEs the same in that they simply pass through the incoming AC voltage directly to the car? With no conditioning, besides the obvious inclusion of relay(s) or some other method to switch the voltage on and off?
Yes, that is exactly what they do. Their main purpose is about safety sensing and communication. They need to detect if the circuit it is tied into has any obvious problems. And they need to detect for a car being plugged into it, and negotiate protocols and announced amp levels and such. But then beyond that, the actual direct function is to simply close a switch to connect two wires together. There isn't any kind of voltage conversion or rectifying or anything in an EVSE. So when new people sometimes ask what kinds of charging speeds they will get with some other brand of connector versus a Tesla brand of connector, that isn't relevant. It's just making the connection, so charging speeds just depend on what size circuit it's using.

Reactions: nimbuzz
So when new people sometimes ask what kinds of charging speeds they will get with some other brand of connector versus a Tesla brand of connector, that isn't relevant. It's just making the connection, so charging speeds just depend on what size circuit it's using.
I think that it is. If you buy an EVSE that is built to supply a max of 16a, that's all you will get no matter how big a circuit you install it on. Another example, the Tesla mobile connector maxes out at 32a, but a Juicebox 40 will give you 40a plugged into the same 50a circuit.

You really do have to take the size of the circuit, the model of the EVSE, and the model of the car all into account to know what kind of charging rate you will get.

Reactions: nimbuzz
I think that it is.
No.
If you buy an EVSE that is built to supply a max of 16a, that's all you will get no matter how big a circuit you install it on. Another example, the Tesla mobile connector maxes out at 32a, but a Juicebox 40 will give you 40a plugged into the same 50a circuit.
That is an entirely different topic. You're talking about if people are buying wholly different products with different capabilities. Yes, of course those are going to be different. I'm talking about when people ask about whether this or that brand name is faster or slower charging, and that doesn't mean anything. It's like asking if Kirkland or Meadow Gold is more milk. That's irrelevant. It just depends on whether you're buying the gallon or the half gallon size--not the brand name.