Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Longer lasting tires for 21" wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 21" staggered wheels and wanted to know if anyone has found a longer lasting alternative than the Pilot SuperSports or Contisports when it comes time to replace the tires. I could care less about cornering speed or racetrack handling, I just want good quality tires that last longer than the defaults.

PSS are good for wear. Don't think you'll find much better tbh.
Conti's only last about 2/3 PSS.

There is a newer Mich PS4 in the process of being released, but not available in Tesla sizes yet.

Also watch for tyres without the acoustic foam treatment, best bet is you can expect a lot more cabin noise without it.

Here’s an idea - keep the sublime handling of the 21s with a set of tires that last twice as long, perform just as well, are just as quiet, and cost half as much.

I’m on my second set of Hankooks, and can’t praise them enough.
Search the forum, and you’ll find other satisfied users.

Rear: Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 275/30R21
Front: Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 245/35R21
$1000 for a set of four. Sweet!

They wear much better then the PS2s - I get over 20,000 miles per set on my rears, and 30,000 miles on the front.

I got tired of paying $1000 for a pair of rear Michelin PS2 rear tires which only lasted 10,000 miles.
(But that's the joy of a P85+!) ;)
Good luck!

I need to find some replacements for the rears on my staggered 21" wheels. I currently have Michelin PS2s on them and the rears are gone after 8000 miles. Can I replace only the rears with the Hankooks, or need to replace all 4? The fronts still have about 6/32 remaining. Or should I go with the Michelin PSS on the rears so at least the brands are the same? I'm using the car mostly as a commuter car with alot of highway miles.

Here’s an idea - keep the sublime handling of the 21s with a set of tires that last twice as long, perform just as well, are just as quiet, and cost half as much.

I’m on my second set of Hankooks, and can’t praise them enough.
Search the forum, and you’ll find other satisfied users.

Rear: Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 275/30R21
Front: Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 245/35R21
$1000 for a set of four. Sweet!

They wear much better then the PS2s - I get over 20,000 miles per set on my rears, and 30,000 miles on the front.

I got tired of paying $1000 for a pair of rear Michelin PS2 rear tires which only lasted 10,000 miles.
(But that's the joy of a P85+!) ;)
Good luck!

Can you put a 275 width tire on a rim meant for 265's? I guess you've done it, but wouldn't it cause issues?

WOW, I must be easy on tires. At my last tire rotation (19,000 + miles) the wear was even, so the estimate is that I will get at least 30,000 miles, maybe close to 40,000 miles. I am now at over 21,000 miles and should be close when we are getting ready for our next 7,000 mile cross-country trip in late June/July. If we have enough tread we may just wait until we return from the trip, otherwise we may play it safe and change tires either before we leave, or while on the road.

WOW, I must be easy on tires. At my last tire rotation (19,000 + miles) the wear was even, so the estimate is that I will get at least 30,000 miles, maybe close to 40,000 miles. I am now at over 21,000 miles and should be close when we are getting ready for our next 7,000 mile cross-country trip in late June/July. If we have enough tread we may just wait until we return from the trip, otherwise we may play it safe and change tires either before we leave, or while on the road.

21" or 19"? What tires do you have?

46,100 miles on my rear drive S75 with staggered 21" ContiSilents...

New fronts @ 44,700 miles (a month ago)
New rears @ 24,600 miles (10 months ago)

Currently, fronts are at 10/32 (still new), rears at 5/32 (about another 3500 miles left before replacement).

The Michelins vs Hoosier debate will go on forever. "best grip" can mean highest limit or most controllable.

If you are on the track and set tire pressures with a pyrometer get the Hoosiers. The Hoosiers have the best track times. The Michelins are a close second and the choice for the street. They last longer and are a little more forgiving of driver error.

The Michelins vs Hoosier debate will go on forever. "best grip" can mean highest limit or most controllable.

If you are on the track and set tire pressures with a pyrometer get the Hoosiers. The Hoosiers have the best track times. The Michelins are a close second and the choice for the street. They last longer and are a little more forgiving of driver error.

Hoosiers ? I have Hoosier drag slicks, but not on the model S...

Just took my staggered 21s off and replaced them with staggered arachnids!!! fronts had just over 6/32s left after 15K in miles.. rears had just over 4/32s... not too bad I think compared to what I have heard from others... now they are stacked neatly in my storage shed...