Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Longer term Ohmmu experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys... when you get the VC Front error... do you get it as an "active" alert or "past" alert.

I only get this alert when I am not driving the car and I have to purposely look for it...

Thanks
JC
Most of the time I got the error when I was not driving. I would see it as a past alert by checking the notifications. I caught it as an active alert a couple of times when I entered the vehicle before driving. It would be active and then went away.

Ordered Ohmmu 12V li-ion battery back in 2021. Had it installed in a 2019 M3 and now 2021 M3. Have also started getting the VCfront_a180 alert on my dashboard (bell icon; must tap to view). I suspect this is a V2 model Tesla li-ion battery that is being referenced here. I've contacted Ohmmu also to determine whether I should replace with a V3 model pending availability or re-install the factory lead acid battery in order to rectify this issue.

Ordered Ohmmu 12V li-ion battery back in 2021. Had it installed in a 2019 M3 and now 2021 M3. Have also started getting the VCfront_a180 alert on my dashboard (bell icon; must tap to view). I suspect this is a V2 model Tesla li-ion battery that is being referenced here. I've contacted Ohmmu also to determine whether I should replace with a V3 model pending availability or re-install the factory lead acid battery in order to rectify this issue.
I have a V3 and it had the VFRONT_a180 message in notifications. I put the Lead battery back in until a solution. Ohmmu is working the problem. They also have a petition going (see their site) to het help from Tesla.

Reactions: Skione65
I have a V3 and it had the VFRONT_a180 message in notifications. I put the Lead battery back in until a solution. Ohmmu is working the problem. They also have a petition going (see their site) to het help from Tesla.
@Flybyglass,

Did the V3 allow for ANY improvement? I received the V3 however just prior to installing it started seeing these VC FRONT issues you all were posting so therefore held off. Curious as to where Sean is on these issues and if there might be any remedy at all.

Ski

@Flybyglass,

Did the V3 allow for ANY improvement? I received the V3 however just prior to installing it started seeing these VC FRONT issues you all were posting so therefore held off. Curious as to where Sean is on these issues and if there might be any remedy at all.

Ski
It had no errors for a month (all short daily driving). First long drive (about 150 miles) got one VCFRONT a_180 at end of day under notifications but no yellow popup flag message. On V2 had a string of notifications plus a flag message. The V3 improved but hasn't eliminated error messages. I'm not clear why the errors. On V2 I checked 12 volt battery and it was at 87% and when I charged it to 91% no errors. V3 was at 95% when I found the notification. I sent all this info to Sean. I understand the software changes Tesla did a few months ago. Sean is working the problem but ideally he wants to collaborate with the Tesla entering team so the issue can be resolved.

Reactions: Skione65
It had no errors for a month (all short daily driving). First long drive (about 150 miles) got one VCFRONT a_180 at end of day under notifications but no yellow popup flag message. On V2 had a string of notifications plus a flag message. The V3 improved but hasn't eliminated error messages. I'm not clear why the errors. On V2 I checked 12 volt battery and it was at 87% and when I charged it to 91% no errors. V3 was at 95% when I found the notification. I sent all this info to Sean. I understand the software changes Tesla did a few months ago. Sean is working the problem but ideally he wants to collaborate with the Tesla entering team so the issue can be resolved.
Really appreciate the followup response and information! Thank you! Hopefully your detailed data points and info help his troubleshooting and diagnosis.

Ski

BTW, the older X and S don't have this issue.

After close to a month, I did get the "12V battery must be replaced - Schedule service" message on my 2017 Model X.
Was able to remove it with the Wheel Configuration trick of changing your tire size (forces reboot) and changing it back.
Simple solution and will work even if I'm on a long road trip.
Downside is the DC-to-DC converter stays on during the time the message exist ... well that is still being evaluated
because my voltage is still a steady-state ~ 13.3 even after that message disappeared.

Fwiw, the V3 I just swapped in a couple of days ago threw up a yellow Exclamation warning on the dash regarding the VCfront_a180 today when leaving work. I do use Teslafi for a scheduled events. At 530 it sends a command to my car to turn on the AC and set the temp to 72.. I noticed the last time I got a Yellow dash warning on the V2 battery that it was also the same situation when the command was sent to the car. Odd. Not sure if it's related though.

B.

Fwiw, the V3 I just swapped in a couple of days ago threw up a yellow Exclamation warning on the dash regarding the VCfront_a180 today when leaving work. I do use Teslafi for a scheduled events. At 530 it sends a command to my car to turn on the AC and set the temp to 72.. I noticed the last time I got a Yellow dash warning on the V2 battery that it was also the same situation when the command was sent to the car. Odd. Not sure if it's related though.

B.
Interesting if it’s related. May just be a coincidence but who knows. Thanks for the data point!

Ski

Yeah, it did it again like clockwork yesterday. Teslafi sent the scheduled command to fire up the AC and set the temp to 72 right at 530pm. I got the text that the command was sent and received successfully. Got downstairs and out to the car. Ac was Not On and a big Yellow error on the screen about VCFront a180. The vehicle may shut down unexpectantly.

I have now disabled the Teslafi scheduled tasks.

Has anyone heard from Sean lately on how the V4 fix is holding up or if a meeting between Tesla had gotten scheduled yet since we now have more than 1k signatures.

if a meeting between Tesla had gotten scheduled yet since we now have more than 1k signatures.
There is nothing binding about getting a specific number of things on change.org. You don't just get to say "If I get 1K signatures, you must meet with me Tesla!"

Tesla has sold 2M cars. They make 1K cars in 8 hours. Why would they work with a company that only 0.05% of their customers care about? Tesla is a company that will sell 150,000 cars to people with "all HW needed for FSD" and then when new HW is needed go "sorry, $1500 for MCU2, and we're out of cameras." They're not really about putting energy into supporting existing cars.

Reactions: Durzel
There is nothing binding about getting a specific number of things on change.org. You don't just get to say "If I get 1K signatures, you must meet with me Tesla!"

Tesla has sold 2M cars. They make 1K cars in 8 hours. Why would they work with a company that only 0.05% of their customers care about? Tesla is a company that will sell 150,000 cars to people with "all HW needed for FSD" and then when new HW is needed go "sorry, $1500 for MCU2, and we're out of cameras." They're not really about putting energy into supporting existing cars.
I'd tend to agree with this. The only thing that it really likely to make Tesla turn towards existing owners in terms of supporting them and keeping them on board is a decline in new sales, and that doesn't look like that's happening any time soon. It doesn't matter to them if an existing customer is not completely happy, as there are 10 more waiting to take delivery of a new car.

It doesn't matter to them if an existing customer is not completely happy, as there are 10 more waiting to take delivery of a new car.
And it matters even less if the "not happy" comes from wanting to install a 3rd party device on the car that might cause other support issues. Kinda like being mad at Tesla if you put on monster truck tires and the ABS stops working.

Plus, why aren't we all petitioning Tesla to support their own LiIon 12V battery as a retrofit? It's cheaper and lighter than aftermarket options, and something Tesla could actually control and support.